Squeaking noise

Questions and comments regarding the GPU2 client running on a nVidia GPU that supports CUDA.

Squeaking noise

Postby Izzio » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:17 am

My client seems to be running well but there is an irritating noise coming my computer whenever F@H is open, any ideas? I don't get this noise from any other gpu-intensive app. Using 8800GTX with 177.26, I'll try 177.35 tomorrow. Also weird is that when I scroll up or down in Firefox while that noise is going on, I'll also hear what sounds like a bunch of hard disk activity. I think it may be some kind of electrical interference but I have no idea really.
Izzio

Re: Squeaking noise

Postby GreyAlien » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:23 am

I have a similar problem. When the client is running I can hear a small high pitch noise coming from my speakers, it's more noticeable when I have headphones on. Running 177.35 drivers, so that doesn't fix it for me anyway. Hopefully it's just a small bug in the client.
GreyAlien

Postby leexgx » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:43 am

when ever my 8800 gtx has been under high speed FPS load (500FPS 3dmark and some games) it has allways done that noise nothing that the client can fix, my ATI 3870 does it as well just not as high (not as powerfull as an 8800gtx)

it does make an wine or Squeaking noise depending on what you call it very sure its quite norm as all of my video cards have done it

the noise comeing from speakers norm means poor/problem sound card or motherboard
leexgx

Postby bruce » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:54 am

leexgx wrote:the noise comeing from speakers norm means poor/problem sound card or motherboard

. . . or perhaps a power supply that can't regulate the power accurately enough at whatever level of power consumption your system is using.
bruce

Postby enemy33 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:12 am

Did any of you try turning off the speakers? I found this problem, and i've also had it happen when games run at 60 + FPS.
enemy33

Postby GreyAlien » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:14 am

I'm not sure it's either of those. I've benchmarked my graphics card with a stress testing app and it makes no such noise. Either does my cpu when pushed. So far it's just F@H beta client. Perhaps the CUDA drivers push my card further, but I have noticed my card runs a bit cooler with the F@H client then it running on a stress test app.

Another odd thing is that it still happens when I mute my sound through windows. Turning off the speakers does work, but it's not exactly an ideal solution when I'm using my computer.

Edit: Nevermind, it's still actually there with the speakers turned off, just not as loud.
Last edited by GreyAlien on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreyAlien

Postby zman977 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:16 am

I agree with Bruce, although i noticed on mine when im gaming with my headphones, i can hear the cpu and hard drive so idk.
zman977

Postby cls9779 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:29 am

You may have a loose coil in your power supply, motherboard power circuitry or the power circuitry on you video card. Since you're using more power than normal when folding it's probably operating at a lower freq or higher amplitude than normal. You can check by touching the coils and if the sound stops or changes than you've probably located the culprit. To fix it you can try (AT YOUR OWN RISK) to put some hot glue around it (non-conductive). If the coil seems hot to the touch the glue may just re-melt and make a mess though.
cls9779

Postby falconxp » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:47 am

I have the same problem with the GPU2 client on my GTX8800. The peeping sound is coming from my DELL XPS 720 powersupply. I only notice it when running the GPU2 client not when playing games.

Unplugging the powersupply from my speakers doesn't help
falconxp

Postby zman977 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:50 am

falconxp wrote:I have the same problem with the GPU2 client on my GTX8800. The peeping sound is coming from my DELL XPS 720 powersupply. I only notice it when running the GPU2 client not when playing games.

Unplugging the power supply from my speakers doesn't help

Is you power supply stock from dell or is it a 3rd party not from dell? Mine is a costume built pc with a Ultra 750W PSU with 2 8800 gts in sli and im not geting hat sound so it might be your power supply.
zman977

Postby falconxp » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:00 am

It's the stock one from dell. It's a 750watt version. The strange thing is that it only acts this way with the folding gpu2 client. With games which stress the card more I don't have the sound. It''s the same as with "grey Alien' . The GPU also doesn't get quiet as hot as when running games. The GPU temp is 73 degrees Celcius, with games it's high in the eighties.
falconxp

Postby toTOW » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:09 am

I have a 8800GTS 512MB emitting the same noise when under FAH load ... strangely, the noise decrease with time ...

If you google it, you'll find many similar reports : it looks like some manufacturers used cheap components to build their boards and cut the prices :roll:
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby falconxp » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:30 am

The noise is coming from the powersupply in my case. Is the noise in your case coming from the powersupply or videocard?
falconxp

Postby toTOW » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:45 am

In my case it the nVidia board, and only when I run FAH ...
toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby XBK » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:15 am

The same problem, i've found the source by putting a waterblock on the GPU to take the cooler off. It's the VGA power line squeaking, and there's nothing to do because the coils are cased.
If you have your PSU squeaking, try connecting your videocard to another lines. Since some power supplies have a limitation of maximum current running through a single output, the manifacturers just split the output in 2 lines. It could happen that some high-consuming devices were connected to the same line, so when you start a heavy load on them, it starts squeaking.

As for the temp. - it's normal, stress-tests or benchmarks load GPU and memory both, while F@H loads the GPU only, so the memory doesn't heat the cooler, hence it cools the GPU more effectively.
XBK

Next

Return to Windows GPU2 (nVidia GPUs)