A new Nvidia core (v1.07) for users w/ multi-gpu boards

Questions and comments regarding the GPU2 client running on a nVidia GPU that supports CUDA.

Re: A new Nvidia core (v1.07) for users w/ multi-gpu boards

Postby PCZ » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:14 pm

Ok been experimenting a bit.

Test machine has a dual core Athlon X2, there are 2 GPU's in it both 8800 GS's, os is XP.
Box is set up to run 2 GPU clients with the -gpu x switches, core v1.07
Affinity is set so that each GPU gets a core to play with.
With the GPU clients running screen refresh is quite bad, playing video or scrolling through webpages is noticeably chuggy.

I stopped the GPU client running on the primary display card and things instantly improved.
Thought about why this made things better and the first thought was that the primary display card now wasn't folding and this had fixed the slowdowns.
I then started up the first GPU client again, but instead of setting the affinity to to core 0 as before i set it to core 1, which it shared with the second GPU client.
Things were still good the slowdowns hadn't returned.

OK perhaps we are onto something here.
Set both GPU clients to run on core 0 and the slowdowns returned, stopped one of the clients and the slowdowns remained.
Set the clients to run on core 1 and restarted them, everything ran well no slowdowns.

Need to do more testing on one of my quads but am reasonably confident that if i don't allow a GPU client to run on core 0 there won't be any slowdowns on the graphics front.

Edit
Tried all combinations of affinity on one of my quads and no joy, slowdowns remained :(
Last edited by PCZ on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCZ

Postby DocJonz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:52 pm

slegrand wrote:
DocJonz wrote:I'm running the 1.07 core (so I can set the CPU affinity) ....

What happens if you set the CPU affinity to 0?

Do you mean 'including' core 0, i.e. running the CPU on all 4 cores? If I do this, the PPD on the GPU drops by one third :(
(If that's not what you meant, as the CPU client is SMP, it won't run on a single core, so I couldn't set it to just core 0)
DocJonz

Postby leexgx » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:29 am

@others,
please check GPU-Z and make sure that you can See the shader box at the bottem right if not go here viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4064&start=15#p41286

i found my self it does lag alot when the i play video or any box that seems to use Light shader use
like the tray bar comming out cant do any thing when that happeing, or any thing that animates at all realy, Firefox should be very bad in this case as it does alot of that, i can use opera and its very small laggy (its the smilies on the right that are doing it {Full post edit})

soon as i stop my Primary GPU2 client on for monitor i can pay games do any thing i can leave the other 3 going
leexgx

Postby bruce » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:39 am

slegrand wrote:What happens if you set the CPU affinity to 0?

I'm confused by that statement, too.

Affinity=15 means it can run on any of the four cores in a quad. Setting it to 0 means it isn't permitted to run on any of the cores.

If you set affinity to 1 or 2 or 4 or 8, you are assigning it to run on a specific core, and there really won't be any difference unless you 're also setting affinity for some other programs.

What did you mean set it to zero?
bruce

Postby mpapad » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:01 am

bruce wrote:
slegrand wrote:What happens if you set the CPU affinity to 0?

I'm confused by that statement, too.

Affinity=15 means it can run on any of the four cores in a quad. Setting it to 0 means it isn't permitted to run on any of the cores.

If you set affinity to 1 or 2 or 4 or 8, you are assigning it to run on a specific core, and there really won't be any difference unless you 're also setting affinity for some other programs.

What did you mean set it to zero?

I think he means core 0.
mpapad

Postby bruce » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:13 am

mpapad wrote:I think he means core 0.

I kind of guessed that, too, but I still fail to see why core 0 is any different than 1 or 2 or 3 so I decided to ask for clarification.
bruce

Postby theo343 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:40 am

the gpu-z and rivatuner related fix helps somewhat on the low performance of the second card, but not completly.

EDIT:
Look here, viewtopic.php?p=41391#p41391
theo343

Previous

Return to Windows GPU2 (nVidia GPUs)