Any Workarounds to Vista 2nd Monitor Requirement?

Questions and comments regarding the GPU2 client running on a nVidia GPU that supports CUDA.

Re: Any Workarounds to Vista 2nd Monitor Requirement?

Postby Fadamor » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:09 pm

It seems to be an issue with Microsoft requirements, so I don't see why they would need to put it in a Linux driver.
Fadamor

Postby leexgx » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:18 pm

but like some els just posted make an beta driver that is Not going to get sent to M$ for WHQL, the continue button is no biggy most wireless drivers are not WHQL certed most of the time, just make one that has the fix (beta+C for e.g.) and then the official one that does not, thats WHQL certed but with limited features to folow the rules on that driver (as basicly what vista is doing)
leexgx

Postby ^w^ing » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:52 pm

bowman wrote:How about non-WHQL 'folding drivers'?

The eventual Linux client won't have this problem, will it?

yeah, crossed my mind too... special 'f@h edition' drivers :lol:
^w^ing

Postby Greg121986 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:17 pm

I managed to get around the monitor requirement (I think) but I still get the UNSTABLE_MACHINE error and core shut down. I'm on Vista Home Premium 64 bit with a GTX 260 and 8800GTS 512MB using 177.41 with the modified info file to allow the driver to work with the 8 series card.

After installing the modified 177.41 driver Vista recognized my second video card which I added in the bottom slot of my 780i. The GTX260 is in the top slot. I think they are slots 1 and three, the GTX260 is in slot 1, and the GTS in slot 3. So now Vista recognizes my main monitor as monitor ONE from my GTX260 and my third monitor as THREE from my GTS. I did not modify the Target: line for my main GPU client which uses my default monitor and GTX260. But the second one which should point to my GTS is "-gpu 3" for my GTS being recognized as the third monitor.

I had been having troubles with this last night for about 3 hours and I tried a bunch of things. What I did today was to just plug in and unplug my monitor from both video card setting one card to be my default, and then setting the other card to be the default. I got my main client running on my GTX260 and left it running. I then made my GTS the default monitor output and plugged my monitor into it while still having the previous client running on my GTX260.

However, I don't think this was necessary. What I found out was causing the problem was that I did not put a space between "-gpu" and "3" in the Target: line. Last night I had it reading as "-gpu#" with no space. After I added the space "-gpu 3" the client started up. But I am getting the "UNSTABLE_MACHINE" error still. I set the machine ID in the config file to different numbers but it still is not working. I have my main client as ID 1 and the second client as ID 3. The main client still works, but the ID 3 client on my 8800GTS will not.

Rivatuner is recognizing both cards and is allowing me to change clocks and fan speeds. GPU Z recognizes both cards correctly, and HWMON is recognizing my temperatures and reporting them correctly as well.
Greg121986

Postby skinnykid63 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:23 pm

Try setting it be gpu 2. The numbering goes 0,1,2...
skinnykid63

Postby Fadamor » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:27 pm

No. The number relates to the GPU, not the PCI-E slot. So your primary Card's GPU will be -gpu 0, and the next GPU in your computer will be -gpu 1.

If you only had a dual-GPU card in PCI-E slot 1, then you still would use -gpu 0 and -gpu 1.

Do not confuse the Windows "Display Settings" monitors for your GPU's. My computer shows four "monitors" in Vista... one for each of the DVI jacks on my two cards. I only have TWO GPU's, however.
Fadamor

Postby Greg121986 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:41 pm

I tried different numberings, -gpu 0, 1, 2, 3 and it still is not working. When I view the Display it shows that they are both using my 8800GTS 512MB and I cannot get either one to use my GTX260.

I had the Windows Display settings to extend my desktop to both of my monitors and it was actually using my GTX 260, but it showed that it was using my 8800GTS. Now I changed it to extend my desktop only to my main monitor on my GTX 260 and now both clients are showing that I am folding on my GTX 260. Changing the -gpu # seems to have no affect.
Greg121986

Postby Fadamor » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:56 pm

I had that happen initially. It was because I put the NV_FAH_GPU=0 statement in my system environment. Both copies of GPU2 were using my primary adapter's GPU. Once I deleted the system environment variable, the -gpu 0 and -gpu 1 switches worked properly. You should use one method or the other.
Fadamor

Postby Finguz » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:57 pm

Just for the sake of folding couldn't you plug both cards into the same monitor, one with DVI and the other D-Sub e.t.c? Assuming you have a monitor with dual inputs :)
Finguz

Postby Fadamor » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:01 pm

As long as you had a dual-input monitor, that should work. All Windows wants to see is the proper load connected to the display port on the card.
Fadamor

Postby Greg121986 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:01 pm

Fadamor wrote:I had that happen initially. It was because I put the NV_FAH_GPU=0 statement in my system environment. Both copies of GPU2 were using my primary adapter's GPU. Once I deleted the system environment variable, the -gpu 0 and -gpu 1 switches worked properly. You should use one method or the other.

I haven't done anything with the system environment. All I did was the Target: edits.
Greg121986

Postby Fadamor » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:06 pm

(Re-reading your posts)

When you set up the desktop extensions, you have it going to a port on each card, right? You don't want the desktop extended to both ports on one card but none on the other.

I have one "monitor" on my 8800 GTX as the primary and I extended the desktop to one of the "monitors" on the 9800 GTX.
Fadamor

Postby aicjofs » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:12 pm

1) Probably the most elegant solution for LCD users is that alot of LCD have a VGA in and a DVI/HMDI in. Use 2 cables and plug in both video card outs to both monitor ins. Extended the desktop.

2) Use a KVM switch

3)Then there is a VGA dummy plug. 3 75 ohm resistors. Basically this method

http://soerennielsen.dk/mod/VGAdummy/index_en.php

or 2 paperclips, see post #80

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=7562&p=4

The 75 ohm resistor is a safe method and has been done for years, the paperclip is a bit more scary and I don't recommend, although it does seem to work for people. The paper clip I say to use at your own risk, the 75 ohms is just impedance matching but lack of it will still draw extra current. I certainly don't recommend either method to anyone not understanding what this method is all about. Plus I haven't tested to see if Vista will still activate the monitor correctly.

4) Then there is the blind hot switching method. I have been unable to get this one to work. Theory would be to boot up with one monitor, go to the display page and check the box for extend desktop, put the mouse over apply, hot swap the monitor cable to the other port, click mouse button, then press tab key and the press enter key. Only problem I am seeing with this method is that it won't work unless you still have booted up with a monitor attached to other port initially. Of course the hot swapping isn't really recommended either but I am just stating options, and as of know I couldn't get this to work, and the other downside is even if it did you would have to do this every reboot.

So method 1, 2, and 3(using 75 ohm resistors, not paperclip) are the safe options.
Last edited by aicjofs on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aicjofs

Postby rbpeake » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:14 pm

Finguz wrote:Just for the sake of folding couldn't you plug both cards into the same monitor, one with DVI and the other D-Sub e.t.c? Assuming you have a monitor with dual inputs :)

I do not have dual inputs, unfortunately! Hence I will be flexing my muscles lugging an old CRT monitor home from work, exercise that is courtesy of Microsoft! :roll:
rbpeake

Postby Fadamor » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:22 pm

Avoid the paper clip method if at all possible. Direct electrical shorts to ground can get ugly. The 75 ohm resistor method is much better for your graphics card and probably the "cleanest" in terms of additional cables laying around the computer.

I like the KVM switch option for people who haven't any experience in soldering. You can get a relatively cheap one at any Best Buy store.
Fadamor

PreviousNext

Return to Windows GPU2 (nVidia GPUs)