Segmentation Fault - HELP!

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Segmentation Fault - HELP!

Postby pcowley » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:08 am

Hi

I am also having segmentation faults and cannot start processing any work units are installing 6.29 Linux client. (Even after a complete rm of the folding directory and reinstalling from scratch. Once I did the configuration it gets to
[10:59:57] - User ID not found locally
[10:59:57] + Requesting User ID from server
[10:59:57] - Getting ID from AS:
[10:59:57] Connecting to http://assign.stanford.edu:8080/
Segmentation fault

If I run it manually with -smp or smp 2 it gives the same result no matter how many tries. Looks like folding is completely dead for me using this new client, which is a great pity as most people are having no problems. I don't believe this is a memory problem because it does not even start a work unit as it does not even get to the start point to download one!

I am running a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ at 2.5ghz on Ubuntu 9.10

Previously I had to tune the 6.24_alt client.

I have tried all the above suggestions to no effect.

Any help appreciated
Cheers
Pete
pcowley

Postby pcowley » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:37 am

The silence has been deafening!!

Does anyone know if there is an "alt" version of the 6.29 client? That is what I use with 6.24 on my dual core AMD64. So far I have not had any luck tracking an alt version for 6.29 down.

Cheers
Pete
pcowley

Postby crabbypup » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:54 am

recently i got a few segfaults on some machines running notfreds. after adding more RAM, they were a bit better.

the one of them (a 2.0ghz P4 home built) just got a kernel panic.... the other one (a 2.8ghz P4 DELL) appears to be fine so far.

gonna keep my eye on them.... the rest of my fleet is fine, all consisting of AMD athlon class CPU's.
crabbypup

Postby Pudge » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:41 am

I recently upgraded three of my of Arch Linux computers. I then restarted my SMP clients on all three. After they completed the WUs they were working on, all three started getting the segmentation faults when trying to access the F@H servers for a new WU as described here.

A quick trip to the Arch Linux forums produced a fix. Starting the ncsd (name cache service deamon) fixed the problem, at least with Arch Linux. I modified my rc.conf file to auto start nscd at boot up. Perhaps it might help on other distros too.

Pudge
Pudge

Postby whynot » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:28 am

Pudge wrote:
A quick trip to the Arch Linux forums produced a fix. Starting the ncsd (name cache service deamon) fixed the problem, at least with Arch Linux. I modified my rc.conf file to auto start nscd at boot up. Perhaps it might help on other distros too.

And it already did:
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=13064
--
I'm counting for science.
Points just make me sick.
whynot

Previous

Return to Linux CPU V6 Client