Core hangs: jbd2_log_wait_commit

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Core hangs: jbd2_log_wait_commit

Postby error10 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:52 am

Excuse me for barging in, but I want to report that I see this issue also on ext4.

It's much worse when you're running a -bigadv WU; it took well over an hour the way the core seems to be doing ... uh, whatever it's doing ... which doesn't seem to make any sense in the first place.

Anyway, the remount with barrier=0 seems to workaround the problem; now it only takes a few minutes to do this highly inefficient (and apparently pointless) bit of ... uh, whatever it's doing.

With as time-sensitive as these WUs are, it doesn't seem like we should have donors wasting their time like this and potentially missing deadlines. But that's just my view from outside.
error10

Postby Karamiekos » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:29 pm

I will also confirm with ext4 it takes an hour to write 95 megabytes....quite abysmal. I have heard a few folks are going to reformat to ext3 just for this reason. Over the internet I can download from half way across the world and write 95MB to my hard drive in less than 50 seconds. Whats wrong with that picture. I thought smp a2 core was supposed to play real nice with Linux.

I didn't mean that last para to come out harsh, just stating the fact. I don't think it is a huge issue, and there are more important things PG could be doing.
Zakk Wylde, "Then you start firing back some cocktails."
Rigs
Phenom II 965 With 2 4850s Running BOINC
Quad 8356s Running BOINC
Karamiekos

Postby ParrLeyne » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:59 pm

Karamiekos wrote:I will also confirm with ext4 it takes an hour to write 95 megabytes....quite abysmal. I have heard a few folks are going to reformat to ext3 just for this reason.

I didn't reformat to ext3 but I did create a small ext3 partition and moved FAH to it.
ParrLeyne

Postby Karamiekos » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:14 pm

I was thinking about formatting a usb stick ext3 and putting it on there, but in the end even with a -bigadv it is only worth another 300 points out of 60,000 so meh *shrugs* I might just wait it out too.
Karamiekos

Previous

Return to Linux CPU V6 Client