Need help deciding which distro to use.

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Need help deciding which distro to use.

Postby Dark_Winter » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:53 am

Hello,

I am new to folding on a linux server.
I need help deciding which distro to use as I have recently got a Dell PowerEdge 1600sc and a Dell PowerEdge 1650. each have dual cpus and I am unsure of which distro will be able to acces both and be able to fold on both.
Or if there is a dedicated folding distro, I would like to use that.

Cheers.
Dark_Winter

Re: Need help deciding which distro to use.

Postby toTOW » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:17 pm

You can try notfreds' distribution which can run diskless, and is dedicated to FAH ... or you can choose to run a standard distribution (like Ubuntu Server) if you want to have some control over your OS.

There are some talks about Ubuntu versions here too : viewtopic.php?f=55&t=13857

P.S : I strongly suggest not using Fedora 11 or 12 for FAH since it's known to have many problems with the client, and to require some particular manipulations to make it run.
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:54 pm

toTOW wrote:P.S : I strongly suggest using Fedora 11 or 12 for FAH since it's known to have many problems with the client, and to require some particular manipulations to make it run.

I think what toTOW meant was:

P.S : I strongly suggest NOT using Fedora 11 or 12 for FAH since it's known to have many problems with the client, and to require some particular manipulations to make it run.
Punchy

Postby Dark_Winter » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Thank you for the speedy reply,

I tryed to install Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit on the PowerEdge 1650 but it said the cpus are not 64 bit compatable,n does this mean this server will not be able to fold under linux?

I will try to install Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit on the PowerEdge 1600sc today.

@Punchy
Thank you I was a bit confused for a while.
Dark_Winter

Postby ChelseaOilman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:16 pm

If these Dell servers have Intel Pentium 3 CPUs I would just run multiple uniprocessor clients on them. With the new bonus points system I don't think the SMP client is worth running if that's what you planned. There's a uniprocessor client for Linux 32-bit.
ChelseaOilman

Postby crabbypup » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:35 pm

if you were gonna do a 32 bit OS, i would go with crunchbang (#!) because it is smaller and lighter than the standard ubuntu, just because it is using openbox instead of GNOME. crunchbang also has a 'light' version, along with 64 bit versions for both standard and light. personally, i have been using tinycore, but it is not beginner friendly, and required quite a bit of fiddling around to make it work properly. the upside is that it only takes up about 10mb (standard) but my setup with F@H installed and configured weighs in at 20mb total. note - i am running tinycore in console mode, so no GUI.
crabbypup

Return to Linux CPU V6 Client