no appropriate work server was available

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

no appropriate work server was available

Postby fredex » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:28 am

For the last 3 days I'm getting this in BOTH the folding clients I have running:

[00:43:17] + Attempting to get work packet
    [00:43:17] - Connecting to assignment server
    [00:43:17] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
    [00:43:17] + Couldn't get work instructions.
    [00:43:17] - Attempt #37 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.

I've tried clearing the work directory (I know, I lose incomplete work units when I do that), bouncing the client, rebooting the machine...

but they still don't work. Looking backwards in the logs I can see where the last work unit finished and the results uploaded, then it failed as above trying to get the next thing to work on, and has been failing ever since. Both clients are the same in this regard.

What's going on here? What should I do to solve it?

FYI it's a dual core AMD Phenom II processor running 32-bit Centos 5.4 Linux with two instances of folding client. been running fine since I built the machine last summer.

Thanks!
fredex

Re: no appropriate work server was available

Postby P5-133XL » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:07 am

Check your configuration.

specificly, How much RAM is being allocated to folding on each client? Others with similar problems have been using less than 512MB and as soon as the allocated RAM was increased beyond 512 they suddenly started getting WU's.
P5-133XL

Re: no appropriate work server was available

Postby fredex » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:40 am

dunno how to check the ram config, so I just reran the client with the -config option and entered the advanced setup and told it 640 for each one. I also changed it to accept large work units, and voila--off it goes. (RAM shouldn't be a problem, this box has 4 gigs)

Thanks!
fredex

Return to Linux CPU V6 Client