OSX vs Linux

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

OSX vs Linux

Postby K.Y.A » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:19 pm

Current OS: Mandriva Free 2010

I got Mac OS X. It is compatible with my hardware, I've run it before.

Does OSX fold faster or slower than 64bit Linux?
K.Y.A

Re: OSX vs Linux

Postby K.Y.A » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:16 pm

Does anybody have any experience here??
K.Y.A

Postby bruce » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:48 pm

No experience, but I'm confident that there will be no measurable difference. The core, itself, does the heavy computing and it's virtually independent of the OS that it runs on. It reads and writes disk files which might be handled slightly differently, but even that isn't as important about which filesytem is in use (and FAH doesn't spend much time working with the disk data. It computes for 15 minutes and then writes a checkpoint. Those 15 minutes will be identical.)
bruce

Postby K.Y.A » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:11 pm

Interesting. Is there a difference between the 64bit SMP clients and 32bit SMP clients, if both clients have the same amount of memory available?
K.Y.A

Postby bruce » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:25 pm

There's a differnce between the Client and the Core, but we rarely stress it. The client, itself interfaces with the user, with the internet, and with a group of programs which process WUs called Cores. The client, itself, is unimportant, speed-wise. On the other hand, the cores are very important. They use the CPU for hours-days-weeks at a time.

Assuming you're talking about Intel hardware, most cores spend a lot of time using SSE or SSE2 instructions, and they're the same in either 32-bit code or 64-bit code. There's a much smaller fraction of the time that is influenced by whether the compiler produced 32- or 64-bit code but for a long time it wasn't important enough for the Pande Group to maintain two versions -- and it still may not be, in most cases.

Your assumption about the amount of memory available is important, though, but not in the way that you implied. The projects associated with the BigAdv setting exceed the memory limitations associated with 32-bit code so they must be run with 64-bit code.
bruce

Return to Linux CPU V6 Client