Running but no terminal window open?

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Running but no terminal window open?

Postby Russ_64 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:15 am

Firstly, I am a long time Windows (CPU, SMP, GPU) folder but this is my first Linux box, so please be gentle........ :oops:
I am running CentOS 5.4 x64 (RHEL 5)

I have started my first bigadv SMP WU by opening a Terminal window and running ./fah6 -smp -bigadv, after starting up my terminal went back to the command prompt and I closed it. However, in process viewer it shows all 16 fah processes are running (status Sleeping??) and each is using 6% of CPU. My fahlog now shows progress and about 31 mins per frame.

My questions are:
1. why does it say the processes are sleeping and not running?
2. How do I stop the client (and all processes) as there is no terminal windows to use ctrl-c ??
ImageImage
Russ_64

Re: Running but no terminal window open?

Postby P5-133XL » Mon May 10, 2010 12:15 pm

1. I don't know, but it has always been that way.

2. There will be 1 folding core process for each core and one client process. (fah6). if you kill the client that should cause all the cores to die.

That being said, that client process should have been tied to the console that you closed and thus it should have closed too and then along with it all its cores. So I don't know what happened.

Since the log shows progress, then I can only conclude that the client was not a sub-process of the terminal session. So kill the client and that should cause the cores to shut down within a minute or so.
P5-133XL

Postby bruce » Mon May 10, 2010 12:31 pm

One of the reported bugs for FahCore_a1 (in Windows) was that the system sometimes got confused about which child processes were associated with a specific client and a specific instance of MPI. That may or may not have been fixed in Linux or with FahCore_a2 but I doubt it's going to be a problem with FahCore_a3 since there's only one process.

Sixteen child processes, each using 6.25% adds up to 100%, which is what you want. In Linux, FAH has always started extra processes to manage other aspects of the process and they use almost no CPU time. As long as the ones doing the heavy processing add up to ~100%, you're fine.
bruce

Postby Ivoshiee » Tue May 11, 2010 3:38 am

Maybe you would like to use some 3rd-party helper scripts to manage you FAH client install?
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Postby Russ_64 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:50 am

Thank you, I found the scripts. First WU completed and fah6 client continued okay with a new WU eventhough there is no terminal session running.......

Also, I have setup Samba and can use HFM.net from my Windows machine to monitor all clients.
Russ_64

Postby crabbypup » Thu May 13, 2010 9:57 pm

if you are trying to stop the FAH processes just issue 'sudo killall -15 fah6' in any terminal.
in linux the processes are backgrounded but can easily be stopped by the above command. i use this on my tinycore machines, but can be used (obviously) on any linux. if your system doesn't use 'sudo' just remove it from the command.

i have found origami to be a good tool for managing local folding processes in ubunutu. FAHMON is another very good tool which can also be used to monitor your networked folding machines and is primarily available for RPM based distros (fedora, SUSE, REHL, etc.) but can be easily compiled for ubuntu.
crabbypup

Postby P5-133XL » Thu May 13, 2010 11:11 pm

HFM.net is current a much better choice than FAHMON. HFM.net has been updated to the new bonus system while FAHMON has not
P5-133XL

Return to Linux CPU V6 Client