fah6 causing mouse lag?

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

fah6 causing mouse lag?

Postby Rich_D » Wed May 11, 2011 5:24 am

So I put a Linux box together (Fedora 14) and had a friend help get FaH installed as a system service and running as a screen session.

When running FaH the mouse is jumpy and unresponsive. As soon as I CTRL+C in the folding screen session to stop the FaH service everything goes back to normal.

Any idea if running it as a screen session would affect it this way?

I had Priority set to "low" in the client.cfg and even edited the file and lowered it to 90 from the 96 it was set at to see if that helped but it did not seem to do one bit of good.

System is:
Opteron 165 @ 2.33GHz
2GB RAM
Asus Motherboard
nVidia 9800GT (I would like to get FaH running on the vid card as well but am too n00b at Linux to figure that one out :lol: )
200GB HDD

Installed FaH as per FaH site instructions other than getting it to run as a service.
Rich_D

Re: fah6 causing mouse lag?

Postby John_Weatherman » Wed May 11, 2011 5:33 am

Try setting priority to idle - lower then low, and what sort of mouse are you using? wireless?
John_Weatherman

Postby Rich_D » Wed May 11, 2011 5:34 am

Yes wireless mouse (Logitech M305)

I will try Idle priority and see if it makes a difference.

EDIT: I just hooked up my other wireless (MX700) mouse and it does not seem to have the lag that the M305 has and I just bought this 305 tonight. The MX700 uses a PS2 connection for the mouse control and is only wireless to the base.

Might be taking the wireless mouse back and getting a wired mouse for this system. :evil:
Rich_D

Postby Rich_D » Wed May 11, 2011 5:44 am

Idle priority has same effect on the mouse.

Is it fighting for process rights with FaH because if I turn FaH off the mouse has no issues whatsoever?
Rich_D

Postby PantherX » Wed May 11, 2011 6:02 am

Regarding your desire to fold on the GPU in a Linus environment; Officially, it is unsupported yet*, unofficially, you can fold on it via WINE (viewtopic.php?f=54&t=6793).

* We hope that once the GPU folding on Windows is stable, Linux and OSX too will be able to fold GPU WUs natively.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby Rich_D » Wed May 11, 2011 6:24 am

PantherX wrote:Regarding your desire to fold on the GPU in a Linus environment; Officially, it is unsupported yet*, unofficially, you can fold on it via WINE (viewtopic.php?f=54&t=6793).

* We hope that once the GPU folding on Windows is stable, Linux and OSX too will be able to fold GPU WUs natively.

Thanks PantherX but with my little knowledge of Fedora Linux at this point (2 weeks worth and my first Linux install) I would not be able to port the commands (Based on Ubuntu distro) to Fedora and would probably end up screwing something up as I did with my CPU client trying to get it to run as service.

Good thing I know a great IT guy who helped get it fixed this evening. :o
Rich_D

Postby PantherX » Wed May 11, 2011 7:01 am

I have only a few hours of experience on Linux (Ubuntu 10.10 32 and Fedora 14 64) and almost everything looked similar. Fedora had the min/max/close buttons on the right side while Ubuntu had it on the left side. However, I am not sure if the command too are same or not.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby John_Weatherman » Wed May 11, 2011 11:31 am

From Logitechs help page "The M305 is not supported on Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, UNIX or Linux." I would try different drivers and see if that helps.
John_Weatherman

Postby jonsku » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:16 pm

I see this is an old thread, but as I happen to have the same M305 mouse, I thought I would reply. I have used it successfully in Linux in couple of machines with FAH running, no mouse lag. I think the problem Rich_D was experiencing could have been somehow related to the USB chip or its Linux driver. Maybe it went to some kind of slow "polling mode" or, there was a problem related to the mouse cursor hardware acceleration.
jonsku

Return to Linux CPU V6 Client