Multiple FAH runs on startup

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Multiple FAH runs on startup

Postby inhumangeek » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:25 pm

I have a quad-core processor and want to run two or three FAH runs simultaneously on startup. I have followed the instructions to set up an init script for one; to configure multiple instances, should I simply have multiple scripts? (I currently have a FAH sub-folder for each core that I am running, and they run completely isolated from each other).

Secondly, those instructions include a reference to Fah504-Linux.exe; should I point the script to my equivalent, or should I really use fah6? What's the difference?

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Thanks, and apologies for the novice questions.
inhumangeek

Re: Multiple FAH runs on startup

Postby Ivoshiee » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:05 pm

You can do it and there are scripts written for older versions of FAH client to do that, but you can try FAH v7 instead, it is much cleaner for that purpose.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Postby Jesse_V » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi inhumangeek, welcome to the forum.

This is possible, and Ivoshiee is correct, v7 will make things much easier for you, even though the client is in beta and under development. The Windows installation guide has lots of images, but here is the Linux version: https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/F ... tUserGuide

In case you didn't know already, Folding@home offers a client that works very well for quad-cores. It's called the SMP and it uses all four cores to finish a single WU extremely quickly, which is of great scientific benefit. However, it has much shorter deadlines than uniprocessors, but you get a lot more points in return. My machine has a quad-core, and before I discovered SMP I was running several uniprocessors in parallel. In any case, the choice of SMP or a bunch of uniprocessors is up to you and you should look into it, but in either case v7 will make the setup much easier.
Last edited by Jesse_V on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby codysluder » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:00 pm

Welcome to FAH and to the help forum, inhumangeek

When choosing between processing multiple WUs simultaneously or running SMP, the biggest determiner is how deadlines might affect you. If the client is going to all or most of the time, deadlines won't matter. If you computer will only fold a few hours per day, you'll likely miss the SMP deadlines so run multiple uniprocessor WUs.

When you choose between V6 and V7, the biggest difference is in ease of install with a secondary difference if you're going to take an active role in managing F@H or just let it run.
Last edited by codysluder on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
codysluder

Postby inhumangeek » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Thanks all; I'll have a go with v7 and see how easy it is to set up!. I'll probably be able to devote a good amount of time to it so I'll give SMP a try.
inhumangeek

Postby Jesse_V » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:43 pm

Well as long as you keep your computer running F@h much of the time it should be a set-and-forget.
Also, since you are going to do SMP, check out this page: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey The use of a passkey will allow you to get bonus points for completing WUs quickly (it rewards you in a non-linear fashion, and you'll find you get significantly more points per day than if you had used 4 uniprocessors. To get these bonus points you will need to complete 10 WUs and then maintain an 80% successful return rate, meaning that 80% of the time WUs must be completed within the deadline.
Jesse_V

Return to Linux CPU V6 Client