Maximizing PPD with 24 cores of SMP

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Maximizing PPD with 24 cores of SMP

Postby ParrLeyne » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Hey guys!

I had to shutdown one of my folding rigs 6 months ago, due to some work being done in the office server room and am now looking to get it running again. During that time I have also been swamped at work so I hadn't had the time to follow the forum posts, so I am wondering what version of FAH that I should be running to maximize PPDs.

My rig is a 4 x Intel XEON E7450 (6 core) CPU with 24GB RAM. The rig already has Ubuntu 6.10 (IIRC) and Win2008 R2 Enterprise installed (dual boot). I was previously running v6.x bigadv WUs.

So,

- Should I be running Win or Linux? (I am a bit of a Linux nob but can do some basics)
- Should I be running FAH v6 or v7?

All input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
ParrLeyne

Re: Maximizing PPD with 24 cores of SMP

Postby bruce » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:46 pm

In some cases, there will be no differences. In most cases, SMP on Linux is more efficient than on Windows. In many cases, certain projects don't run on V6.x but you can run them on V7.

The V7 client is being revised fairly frequently as bugs are resolved. Most of the remaining ones are not really that serious.

If you want to fold on a GPU, you'll have to use Windows, though there's some 3rd party support for wine, if you really want to do that.

There are some changes being made to bigadv but they probably won't matter to you. Most of the bigadv projects currently have a limited supply of WUs so you may see a higher percentage of times that your client falls back to standard SMP. As always, this condition is likely to be temporary, but there's no way to predict when (or if) it might change.
bruce

Postby Nathan_P » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:55 pm

Personally i would load ubuntu 10.10 onto that machine, v6.34 console client, set the -bigadv switch and see what happens. Ubuntu is easy to set up and there is an excellent guide available here:-http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1601608 , i have never used linux before but i was able to get the OS installed and F@H running on a dual cpu machine in 2 hours.

Yes there are -bigadv shortages but with 24 cores and running linux you should be reasonably OK, both my machines get a steady supply of both 6901 and 6903/6904
Nathan_P

Postby 7im » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:58 am

bruce wrote:In some cases, there will be no differences. In most cases, SMP on Linux is more efficient than on Windows.

The above text in red needs a bit more explanation... The "current" SMP Linux fahcores are more efficient than the Windows fahcores. At some point in the future, as it has in the past, the Windows fahcores will perform better. And at some point in the future, as it has in the past, they will perform at exactly the same speed. ;)

Each new update to the fahcores to add features or fix things will have varying affects on performance for each OS. What is faster today, may not be faster tomorrow. 8-)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby tear » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:22 am

In line with Nathan's recommendation --

Use Linux with -bigadv and latest V6 (6.34). V7 doesn't offer any advantage bigadv-WU-wise (read: you will be getting exact same projects).
Ubuntu 6.10 (assuming this is a 64-bit installation given you've run bigadvs before) should still be fine if you're constrained and/or can't easily reinstall.

So actually, not a lot of action is req'd in your configuration.

Musky's guide at [H] is quite detailed (performance tweaks) and is being actively maintained.
One man's ceiling is another man's floor.
tear

Postby kromberg » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:55 am

tear wrote:Musky's guide at [H] is quite detailed (performance tweaks) and is being actively maintained.

+1. I got some really good info there.
kromberg

Return to Linux CPU V6 Client