Would v6 work on Lubuntu?

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Would v6 work on Lubuntu?

Postby Stonecold » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:04 pm

Would it be possible to run the v6 client on Lubuntu on a machine with only 128 MB of RAM? It's just that I'm getting Lubuntu to run on my Nintendo 3DS so that I can experiment with it, and I think it would be interesting to find out if FAH would work on it. It has two ARM11 CPUs at 266 MHz (so a total of 532 MHz speed), 128 MB of RAM, and 4 MB of VRAM. Would FAH run with those specs (I don't care if it's slow, because I'm not doing this for extra PPD)? Also, if the device has two CPUs, would it be better to use the SMP client (assuming I can get it to run at all)? And running FAH on Lubuntu on a 3DS wouldn't violate FAH's EULA or anything, right?
Stonecold

Re: Would v6 work on Lubuntu?

Postby k1wi » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:07 pm

To my knowledge F@H doesn't run on ARM so the answer would be no... Even if it was able to run on ARM the performance on the DS would be horrible, despite its two cores.
k1wi

Postby Stonecold » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:12 pm

I know the performance would suck, but I'm curious to see if it could be done. And yes the ARM would be a problem, but as the 3DS is out longer people will modify Lubuntu to run on ARM and still be able to handle x86 instructions, just like they did with the original DS. I'm wondering if the hardware specs would be at least passed the bare minimum required to complete a WU within the deadline. It does have a 133 MHz PICA200 GPU as well, but that would probably be very hard to use. If it somehow were to be compatible with FAH, how much of a performance boost would such a GPU add?
Stonecold

Postby 7im » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:19 am

Stonecold wrote:Would it be possible to run the v6 client on Lubuntu on a machine with only 128 MB of RAM? It's just that I'm getting Lubuntu to run on my Nintendo 3DS so that I can experiment with it, and I think it would be interesting to find out if FAH would work on it. It has two ARM11 CPUs at 266 MHz (so a total of 532 MHz speed), 128 MB of RAM, and 4 MB of VRAM. Would FAH run with those specs (I don't care if it's slow, because I'm not doing this for extra PPD)? Also, if the device has two CPUs, would it be better to use the SMP client (assuming I can get it to run at all)? And running FAH on Lubuntu on a 3DS wouldn't violate FAH's EULA or anything, right?

Technically, older versions of fah will run on 64 MB. But that's not enough memory for current clients and WUs. But that doesn't really matter, as the later answers solve the problem without question.
No, fah won't run on ARM.
No, (SMP won't help since it won't run).
No, (Won't violate EULA since it won't run).

FYI, minimum PC specs to make the deadlines are a P3-450 with SSE. 3DS isn't any where close, as they tried to tell you already... http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20329
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Return to Linux CPU V6 Client