Does Linux generate more heat?

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Does Linux generate more heat?

Postby Stonecold » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:35 pm

I'm running the v6.34 Linux SMP client for Kubuntu 11.10 (x64), and it seems to be generating a lot more heat than the v7 client did under Windows. Is this normal for FAH to heat up a laptop while running Linux more than while running Windows? I don't have Core Temp installed on Linux (I think it's a Windows-only application) so I can't monitor the CPU heat as often, but it definitely feels hotter (especially where my left palm sits while I type, for some reason). The AC adapter's transformer also gets much hotter, even to the point where it is quite painful to touch (I left it on the couch once, and it fell behind a pillow. I only noticed that that had happened when I started smelling burning electronics). Is the Linux v6 client pushing my computer too hard? I always have my laptop on a cooling pad, even when I'm using it, so I don't think it's in any immediate danger, but what are the risks of letting it get hot like this (or should I just not worry)? My laptop is an HP Pavilion dv6 with 8 i7 cores (4 physical) @ 2.0 GHz.

Also, does anyone know of any free apps for Linux that display the CPU temperature(s) in the system tray like Core Temp does? Then I could probably give out some figures for exactly how hot my computer is getting.
Stonecold

Re: Does Linux generate more heat?

Postby PinHead » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 am

look for lm-sensors or see if psensors is part of the Kubunto software distro. For lm-sensors, once installed; you'll need another app to get them on your desktop in graphics mode. There are plenty to choose from, so I leave that up to you.
PinHead

Postby derrickmcc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:05 am

I know that linux gets higher ppd than Windows running SMP. This will be because the linux core is more efficient, but this means that your CPU is doing more work, so it will be running hotter. (The same effect is seen on GPUs, where better utilisation of the GPU cores results in higher temperatures.)

The CPU will throttle if it is hitting its temperature limit, but you could always switch back to Windows to reduce your temps. :)
derrickmcc

Postby 7im » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:15 am

derrickmcc is correct. Windows vs. Linux means nothing in regards to temps, or much of anything else for that matter. Any lingering us vs. them myths about one being better than the other should be put to rest. Windows has become more like Linux, and vice versa.

As noted, the difference is in the performance of the fahcores. At one point not that long ago, Windows and Linux used the exact some fahcores, so performance and temps were exactly the same. As time progresses, the performance pendulum swings back and forth. Somethings Win fahcores are faster, sometimes Lin, and sometimes they are equal.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Stonecold » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:24 am

PinHead wrote:look for lm-sensors or see if psensors is part of the Kubunto software distro. For lm-sensors, once installed; you'll need another app to get them on your desktop in graphics mode. There are plenty to choose from, so I leave that up to you.

I installed Psensor but it only shows two temperatures, both named "temp1". The documentation doesn't say anything about how to correct that.
Stonecold

Postby k1wi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:40 am

I'm planning to give running F@H in a VM another shot as I am aware that the linux core appears to provide better performance. I will have to keep an eye on the thermals of my machine.
k1wi

Postby Stonecold » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:42 am

Does Linux shut down if it detects overheating or will it allow the CPU to fry? Also, what makes FAH more efficient on Linux than on other OSes?
Stonecold

Postby k1wi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:44 am

The thermal protection on modern CPUs is in the hardware, so when it starts overheating the i7 processor automatically drops the multiplier and if the issue is not resolved, shuts itself off.

Therefore, thermal management is OS agnostic.

As has been said, the difference between Windows and Linux FAH performance is due to the particular F@H cores - at present the linux FAH core is more efficient than the windows FAH core.
k1wi

Postby Grandpa_01 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:07 am

k1wi wrote:I'm planning to give running F@H in a VM another shot as I am aware that the linux core appears to provide better performance. I will have to keep an eye on the thermals of my machine.

You will not be able to tell anything using a VM when you run a VM the VM is dependent upon the OS it is running on. I run a vm on different rigs at different times for testing while Linux reports 100% cpu usage the Windows host will show between 95% and 100%. So the VM uses 100% of what windows provides to it. Not 100% of actual cpu. :wink:
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
Grandpa_01

Postby Stonecold » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:09 am

Grandpa_01 wrote:You will not be able to tell anything using a VM when you run a VM the VM is dependent upon the OS it is running on. I run a vm on different rigs at different times for testing while Linux reports 100% cpu usage the Windows host will show between 95% and 100%. So the VM uses 100% of what windows provides to it. Not 100% of actual cpu. :wink:

But you are able to set the CPU usage given to the VM (on VirtualBox at least), so if you set that to 100% then the VM can use 100% of the real CPU.
Stonecold

Postby Grandpa_01 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:13 am

Windows will not give it 100% of the CPU to the vm it will give it whatever it does not need to operate + overhead a VM is actually a poor choice compared to native.
Grandpa_01

Postby Stonecold » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:16 am

Grandpa_01 wrote:Windows will not give it 100% of the CPU to the vm it will give it whatever it does not need to operate + overhead a VM is actually a poor choice compared to native.

It'll set the priority to normal, so anything with a higher priority overrides the VM. If it were set to realtime then it could dominate all the CPU time if it wanted. To the native OS, a VM is like any other program. It'll be able to use 100% as long as there are no other programs with a higher priority running.
Stonecold

Postby Grandpa_01 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:19 am

It still can not get 100% of the CPU Windows need the CPU to operate and windows will always take priority.
Grandpa_01

Postby Stonecold » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:21 am

Grandpa_01 wrote:It still can not get 100% of the CPU Windows need the CPU to operate and windows will always take priority.

"Windows" is just a collection of processes, and if a VM is running then it is one of them. It has the same priority as most other Windows processes and can use just as much CPU time as they can.
Stonecold

Postby k1wi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:34 am

Grandpa_01 wrote:
k1wi wrote:I'm planning to give running F@H in a VM another shot as I am aware that the linux core appears to provide better performance. I will have to keep an eye on the thermals of my machine.

You will not be able to tell anything using a VM when you run a VM the VM is dependent upon the OS it is running on. I run a vm on different rigs at different times for testing while Linux reports 100% cpu usage the Windows host will show between 95% and 100%. So the VM uses 100% of what windows provides to it. Not 100% of actual cpu. :wink:
I am aware that running a VM results in a decrease in performance relative to running on a native OS, but for me the only thing I am interested in is whether my TPF decreases (and PPD as a result increases) as a result of running the VM... The reason I am planning on running a VM instead of in native Linux is because running native Linux on that computer is not an option for me.

Therefore, what I am testing is whether FAH on Linux in a VM is faster or slower than natively on Windows... If it is faster it means the Linux FAH core is more efficient than the Windows FAH despite the VM overhead, if it is not then any greater efficiency of the Linux core does not exceed the overhead of running in a VM...

If it does run faster then I want to keep an eye on how much hotter my CPU runs.
k1wi

Next

Return to Linux CPU V6 Client