checkpoint frequency setting ? fah6

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

checkpoint frequency setting ? fah6

Postby nogginthenog » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:58 pm

how can i change this?

and would there be any advantage in running a 64bit linux and FAH client, on a Dell Inspiron 1501, which has a sticker "AMD 64 Athlon X2" ?

also how can I find out WU deadlines for this client ?
nogginthenog

Re: checkpoint frequency setting ? fah6

Postby Zagen30 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:20 pm

1: http://fahwiki.net/index.php/The_FAH_client_on_Linux#Configuring_the_FAH_Client_in_the_Shell (It uses v5 as an example but it applies just as much to v6, just substitute the v6 client version name as necessary)

2: 64-bit Linux allows you to run the Linux client in SMP mode, which uses multiple CPU cores to work on one WU at the same time. You've got a very old dual-core, though, so it may not be able to make the SMP deadlines, which tend to be significantly shorter than uniprocessor WU deadlines. If you plan on sticking with 2 uniprocessor clients you don't need to go to 64-bit Linux, as on its own it doesn't help FAH at all.

3: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html
Zagen30

Postby 7im » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

You typically don't need to change check point frequency unless you stop and start your computer many times each each day.

v6 Linux SMP install guide
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby nogginthenog » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks. Most machines I fold on are fairly slow in today's terms, 1GHz or so. But one, the Inspiron I mentioned above, I sometimes run Linux on it and sometimes Windows. I have completed 1 Wu with Linux, but the 2nd seems to be going a lot slower than the 1st, like 2 hours to increase by 1%. So I want not to waste work done, but also to be able to reboot when I like. I recently started using the Win 7.1.5 beta, which seems to go a lot quicker, if estimated PPD is anything to go by.
nogginthenog

Postby MtM » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:00 am

There is a large spread in different smp projects being assigned, so it's to be expected that you'll see big differences in time needed to complete them. Keep an eye on the deadline and eta, it doesn't pay to miss the deadline, it's better to drop down to uniprocessor if you're in the danger zone.
MtM

Postby bruce » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:27 am

My laptop is a T2060 dual core @1.6 GHz runs Windows 24x7 and it can meet the SMP deadlines with some margin. If I switched between Windows and Linux, it would not. If I was in Windows 24x7 but only ran at 1.0 GHz, I'm not sure.

WUs from different projects may run at different speeds, but the deadlines are generally adjusted so things work out about the same. The speed has nothing to do with whether you're running a V6 or V7 client or whether you're running Windows XP/Vista/Seven, since all of those combinations run the same SMP projects using the same FahCores.
bruce

Return to Linux CPU V6 Client