Running FAH on a Raspberry Pi [No]

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Running FAH on a Raspberry Pi [No]

Postby Dominic » Fri May 25, 2012 2:41 pm

Hi all,

Although I've been using the GPU Windows client for a couple of years now, I've recently placed my order to get a

Raspberry Pi and wondered if it would be possible to run FAH on that instead.

Mostly I'll be getting a Pi just to play about with it, but once I know what's what with Linux (something I have zero experience in right now) then I'll probably use the Pi for IRC and, hopefully, FAH as well.

So does anyone know if it would be possible to run FAH on the Pi? It comes with Debian Linux (although I believe it can run other Linux distributions) so I've posted this thread in the Linux forum, but apologies if it should have gone elsewhere.

Anyone have any thoughts? TIA.

:) :)
Dominic

Re: Running FAH on a Raspberry Pi

Postby iceman1992 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:45 pm

IMO, no it's too weak. It has an ARM SoC, it's designed for mobile, and the floating point performance is just not nearly powerful enough.
iceman1992

Postby Dominic » Fri May 25, 2012 2:50 pm

Ah, OK. Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't really thought much about the processing power of the Pi. Of course, I would never have expected it to perform at the same level as my PC, but I did think it might be useful in addition to it, perhaps. I doubt I'd use the Pi for much else from day to day.

Aside from the fact that it's not particularly powerful, is it still possible to run FAH on the Pi do you think? If it's technically possible, I might just try it to see what happens (seeing as that's why I bought it in the first place) but obviously if it's not technically possible, that idea goes out the window.
Dominic

Postby iceman1992 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:09 pm

Well as a very rough comparison, my iphone 3GS which has an ARM Cortex A8 at 600MHz (I don't know the difference between ARM11 and ARM Cortex A8) performs about 25 MFLOPS in linpack. While my pentium T4200 dual core performs 14.4GFLOPS in sandra. So the ARM is roughly 576 times slower.
Technically, I don't know. I haven't been on FAH long enough to answer your question. But it definitely isn't practical.
iceman1992

Postby Dominic » Fri May 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Heh, so it seems. Well thanks for your replies - it'll save me fannying about trying to get it to work, only to get nothing much out of it!
Dominic

Postby iceman1992 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:13 pm

You'll be much better off buying a low end PC. More expensive but at least you get so much more ;)
iceman1992

Postby Dominic » Fri May 25, 2012 3:15 pm

Well, I might as well keep running FAH on my GTX 460 then. I'm buying the Pi anyway; I'm just looking for things to do with it. It was worth asking!
Dominic

Postby iceman1992 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Yep the 460 is an awesome card to fold on. The Pi is good for so many things, just not FAH, or any computationally intensive applications :lol:
iceman1992

Postby uncle_fungus » Sat May 26, 2012 5:42 pm

There is actually no (sensible) way to run FAH on a Pi, as it has, as has been pointed out already, an ARM processor. There are no FAH clients or cores that are compiled for this CPU architecture and as far as I know there are no plans to start supporting it either.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Postby Rayce185 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:01 pm

How would a 64-RPi, 11GHz supercomputer hold up with folding? ;)

http://hackaday.com/2012/09/12/64-rasbe ... rcomputer/
Rayce185

Postby bruce » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:10 pm

Same answer. FAH has been compiled for x86 and AMD64 instruction sets (and formerly for the PowerPC (Mac) and for the PS3) but Stanford will not develop software for uncommon hardware. At this point there are millions of tablets but there are no rumors of support for them.
bruce

Postby DanniHansen1985 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:55 pm

First, Thanks for accepting me on the forum.

And i would like to say that what a shame that it dosn't come to ARM based hardware, since i only want to support it from my Rapsberry or Pandaboard, my laptop comes with intel, and i wont use that for the folding@home project. :(

---
I was also wondering, could i use it on a remote server, cause i got one, and it might aswell do something while it's running, and can i ajust some of the network use for the program? So it dosn't extend the limit of bandwidth.
DanniHansen1985

Postby P5-133XL » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:21 pm

There really isn't any tools to adjust the network bandwidth used by folding. Effectively the only network bandwidth used is in receiving and sending WU's and the amount of data is not adjustable. So the only way to can adjust the amount of data is by choosing to fold or not to fold. So, turning folding on when you have BW to spare and turning folding off when close to your data cap is possible if you monitor carefully. Unfortunately, that is about the only tool you've got.
P5-133XL

Postby Stonecold » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:48 am

DanniHansen1985 wrote:I was also wondering, could i use it on a remote server, cause i got one, and it might aswell do something while it's running, and can i ajust some of the network use for the program? So it dosn't extend the limit of bandwidth.

Yeah, you could run FAH on a remote server. FAH uses very little bandwidth (just to download work and upload completed work, just a few megabytes). The important thing to remember is, is this a home server somewhere else, a shell account, or what? If you aren't the administrator for the server then you'll probably be breaking their terms of service, because FAH will max out the CPU, and that can be very irritating for other users if it's a shell server.
Stonecold

Re: Running FAH on a Raspberry Pi [No]

Postby bigtruck747 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:35 am

I have a new twist on the same question of Running F@H on a Raspberry Pi ... only I'm thinking about a Raspberry Pi 2.

I've been looking at the Raspberry Pi 2 a little bit on You Tube the last couple days, & I'm impressed with the power the little thing will put out!

So here's the twist to my question ... could a person connect the Raspberry Pi 2 to one (or two ... or more) of theses External PCI-E Graphics Card adapters??? So the GPU that's in the external adapter is doing the folding and the Raspberry Pi is just running the OS?????

(I'm not trying to sell anything with these links, they're just for reference)

http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card/dp/B00Q4VMLF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428556325&sr=8-1&keywords=external+PCI+Express

http://www.amazon.com/Bplus-PE4C-interface-mPCI-adapter/dp/B00OZJDAVS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ERZG3RRE4Q9DJ1487S3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Qw_37t_zw

Thank you everyone for your input!!
bigtruck747

Next

Return to Linux CPU V6 Client