new public beta client for linux, now 6.24

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: new public beta client for linux, now 6.24

Postby SantaFe » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:16 am

kasson wrote:The only major change is a fix for the unitinfo.txt bug so that the max progress reportable is 200% in unitinfo.txt. (We've also tried to fix this core-side, but the client contains an additional safeguard.) Everything that's in 6.23 should be in here.

Right now we're having a couple issues with the 32-bit linux build systems, so the 6.24 client is 64-bit for the time being. We ultimately anticipate having a 32-bit client as well, but I wouldn't expect it tomorrow...

The naming is misleading; our apologies. This is a full public beta.
Is it Tomorrow YET ????? :D

Just in a hurry I guess. I can reinstall a new 64bit Linux, I just keep hoping a 32bit client will show up because A) Don't want to have to go thru a lot of patching to get the 64bit client to work in Ubuntu 10.04 and B) I'm too darned lazy to change what's working fine to something new. :D :D :D
Aren't you glad you use http://foldingforum.org! Don't you wish Everybody did? :D
SantaFe

Postby toTOW » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Unfortunately, 32 bits is (almost) dead ... and IMHO, it would have been much earlier if Microsoft didn't keep selling 32 bits version of Vista.
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby John Naylor » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:14 pm

toTOW wrote:Unfortunately, 32 bits is (almost) dead ... and IMHO, it would have been much earlier if Microsoft didn't keep selling 32 bits version of Vista.

...and Win7. At least the server software is 64-bit only now, so maybe Win8 will be 64-bit only.
Folding whatever I'm sent since March 2006 :) Beta testing since October 2006. www.FAH-Addict.net Administrator since August 2009.
John Naylor

Postby Evaders99 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:22 pm

Well the majority of Windows users still use 32-bit, even on Win 7. Is it because Microsoft still supports it or because customers demand it? I don't know
http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/19232
Evaders99

Postby Zagen30 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:35 pm

That article shows that people are moving to 64-bit en masse. I would imagine that a decent number of the 7 users who are using the 32-bit version upgraded from a 32-bit version of Vista and didn't want to do a clean install. I'm not even sure if it's possible to buy a pre-built computer with a 32-bit copy of Windows anymore, or at least not 32-bit Win7. From a quick check of Dell's and HP's sites, the only things that are still being shipped with 32-bit OSes are netbooks with XP, while everything else comes with 64-bit Win7.

The average consumer won't care how many bits their OS is working on as long as software works, and 64-bit OS compatibility with older software is much improved from where it was when Vista was launched (or so I've heard). At this point there's no good reason to not make the mass move to 64-bit, especially since computers are regularly being sold with more RAM than a 32-bit OS can address (whether the average person actually neds >4GB RAM on a regular basis is a completely different issue).
Zagen30

Postby bruce » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:13 pm

A majority of pre-bulit computers are now coming with 4GB RAM or more. The customers would squawk if they came with a 32-bit OS ("You sold me RAM I can't even use...") so now they come with 64-bit OSs. As you mentioned, until recently, many of the 64-bit compatibility problems prevented selling it to a novice, but Win7-64 seems to have come a long way.

By default, some Linux distros still don't come with both 32-bit and 64-bit compatibility features, but they can be added -- but now we're no longer talking about pre-build computers for the masses.
bruce

Postby herbak » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:16 am

Umm, well I got an old PIII still up and running (Xubuntu 10.04 - in fact, using it now to type this reply in the forum...) and doing folding amongst other things (like TV card mythbackend onto LAN etc) and yes, surprisingly enough, the CPU only supports a 32-bit OS ;-)
herbak

Previous

Return to Linux CPU V6 Client