new public beta client for linux, now 6.24

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: new public beta client for linux, now 6.24

Postby Mattus » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:34 pm

Both of these clients are awful for me. The standard one segfaults all the time, both on startup and during WUs. The alternate one won't even start - it just says 'floating point exception'. Ubuntu Server 6.
folding proudly for team 10, OcUK ¦ what am I folding?
Mattus

Postby toTOW » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:40 pm

In fact there are 3 different clients ... I don't remember the exact details :

The standard one, dynamic library : http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding/linux/fah6
One with alternate glib, dynamic librry : http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding/linux/fah6_alt
And one with a statically linked library : http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding ... ah6.static

Are you able to use at least one of them ?
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby preet.to » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:53 pm

Now all my clients are failing. The message is more clear

Code: Select all
[15:32:47] Completed 250000 out of 250000 steps  (100%)
[15:32:53] CoreStatus = 1 (1)
[15:32:53] Sending work to server
[15:32:53] Project: 2676 (Run 0, Clone 4, Gen 32)
[15:32:53] - Error: Could not get length of results file work/wuresults_06.dat
[15:32:53] - Error: Could not read unit 06 file. Removing from queue.

It is the could not get length of results file. The only solution is wipe clean this folder and start all over again. Once the error starts, no WU's complete. I have lost a lot of WU's over the last two weeks to this and managing it is taking a lot of time. Does anyone know what this message means?
preet.to

how to make fah to use FahCore_a2 instead of a1?

Postby cepal » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:49 pm

I have latest FahCore_a2.exe downloaded the way described and fah 6.24 client and the fah6 keeps loading FahCore_a1 instead. Could you please help me? OS = Debian/Lenny/amd64

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere already... I didn't find it.

Thanks,
CePal
cepal

Re: how to make fah to use FahCore_a2 instead of a1?

Postby whynot » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:41 pm

cepal wrote:I have latest FahCore_a2.exe downloaded the way described and fah 6.24 client and the fah6 keeps loading FahCore_a1 instead. Could you please help me? OS = Debian/Lenny/amd64

I suppose that your logs contain such consecutive lines

Code: Select all
Core required: FahCore_a1.exe
Core found.

The only thing that would help you is patience.

cepal wrote: Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere already... I didn't find it.

You've overlooked wiki.

cepal wrote:Thanks,
CePal

Put that in your signature field of your profile, then it will be skipped automatically when you'll be responded.
--
I'm counting for science.
Points just make me sick.
whynot

Re: how to make fah to use FahCore_a2 instead of a1?

Postby cepal » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:10 pm

Hello to Kyiv,
Thanks for answers. The patience for core "a2" worked out, I just noticed (but it may be happening for longer), it's been using the "a2" cores exactly as you described - means the tasks itself says which core it wants to use...

Ah yeah I missed the wiki, thanks for pointing out, I will check it out asap. Regarding my signature, I don't prefer to have any, once information about me are on right pane of the reading window and yet it's simple to click into my profile while the signatures eat up space in the forum...

Cheers,
CePal
cepal

Postby rbpeake » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:12 pm

toTOW wrote:In fact there are 3 different clients ... I don't remember the exact details :

The standard one, dynamic library : http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding/linux/fah6
One with alternate glib, dynamic librry : http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding/linux/fah6_alt
And one with a statically linked library : http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding ... ah6.static

Are you able to use at least one of them ?

Although not officially sanctioned, does anyone know how to get the Notfred VM to use this 6.24 client? Currently it uses 6.02, and I guess really it is not that big a deal, but if there were a way to substitute the new client that would be very nice! :)
rbpeake

Postby ethomaz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:32 pm

rbpeake wrote:Although not officially sanctioned, does anyone know how to get the Notfred VM to use this 6.24 client? Currently it uses 6.02, and I guess really it is not that big a deal, but if there were a way to substitute the new client that would be very nice! :)

Open VMDK file of Diskless and put the fah6 in folder: "/folding/1".
To open VMDK use the VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit.

After do this... the folding use your fah6 and not the donwloaded one.

PS. The warning message of WM "In: ./fah6: File existis" - this is ok.
ethomaz

Postby rbpeake » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:28 pm

ethomaz wrote:
rbpeake wrote:Although not officially sanctioned, does anyone know how to get the Notfred VM to use this 6.24 client? Currently it uses 6.02, and I guess really it is not that big a deal, but if there were a way to substitute the new client that would be very nice! :)

Open VMDK file of Diskless and put the fah6 in folder: "/folding/1".
To open VMDK use the VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit.

After do this... the folding use your fah6 and not the donwloaded one.

PS. The warning message of WM "In: ./fah6: File existis" - this is ok.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, my Vista main operating system seems to freeze after several hours of running Notfred, and I am not sure why......It runs the standard fah single-core Windows clients just fine, but seems to have a real problem with VM's. Go figure! :e?:
rbpeake

Postby codysluder » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:57 pm

One common cause of a system freeze is overheating. What temperatures are you seeing? Do your fans keep the air inside moving? Has your heatsink filled up with dust?
codysluder

Postby rbpeake » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:21 pm

codysluder wrote:One common cause of a system freeze is overheating. What temperatures are you seeing? Do your fans keep the air inside moving? Has your heatsink filled up with dust?

Thanks, I did upgrade my heatsink (before I did so each processor temp. on my Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 was high 70's up to 80 degrees C, but now my temps are about 20 degrees cooler). But perhaps I fried something, but not enough to totally trash my system?

Or there might be some conflict somewhere? I do not overclock, but my system has been "sensitive", meaning that if I stress it out with too many DC projects it will eventually freeze up. To sum it up, that sucks! :e(
rbpeake

Postby clardav » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:54 pm

The client works good on my Inspiron 1520, using VMware with Ubuntu on Windows Vista 64. It is as fast as used to be in a non virtualized Linux system. Are enough only two cores? My CPU is an Intel Core2Duo T7250@2Ghz.
clardav

Postby djchandler » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:49 pm

:?:
I have been using the 6.24 Beta for several months. However, I noticed that when used with the -SMP flag, it runs my system about 2˚C hotter on all three sensors that I monitor than with the 6.02 client and -SMP. Is this normal? I've noticed no discernible difference in time it takes to finish a WU.

I've switched back to using the 6.02 client. Those 2˚C were pushing things a little more than I was comfortable with. Getting way too close to 60˚C (59˚C hottest sensor reading, 52˚C CPU) for me. For cooling I'm using air, not over-clocking (yet) on an Athlon X2 7750 BE. It's the north bridge (AMD 780G chipset) pushing 60˚C.

:?:
One other issue--I'm getting the following message with both clients.

NOTE: The tpr file used for this simulation is in an old format, for less memory usage and possibly more performance create a new tpr file with an up to date version of grompp

How can we get WU submissions that are in compliance with our clients? Can this be screened or corrected?
Folding for Cures
djchandler

Postby parkut » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:14 pm

The tpr file note is a cosmetic error, see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8307#p82205
parkut

Postby bruce » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:23 pm

djchandler wrote:. . . it runs my system about 2˚C hotter on all three sensors that I monitor than with the 6.02 client and -SMP. Is this normal?

I'm not aware of any changes that would produce that sort of difference, and while it is possible, but I doubt it. The client uses virtually no CPU time except when uploading/downloading and no CPU time means no heat. The work is done by FahCore_a* and if somewhere along the line an optimization was made to FahCore_a* then version x.xx of the core might run hotter than version (x.xx-1) but switching back to 6.02 of the client wouldn't change the version of FahCore_a*.

You didn't happen to update your kernel at the same time, did you? That can cause some small differences. Also, be sure you're running the same Project. There are much bigger variations between projects.
bruce

PreviousNext

Return to Linux CPU V6 Client