New to F@H need startup info

This client will only use a single CPU

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

New to F@H need startup info

Postby rtbrd » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:50 pm

I just heard about Folding@home and thought that it would be a excellent way to use my pc deadtime. Reading thru what to use quickly (1 paragraph) got over my head.

I have a new Dell XPS8000 with an Intel i7 quad core processor running Windows 7. I did not see a Windows 7 client listed. It has a NVIDIA GeForce GTS240 video card.

Please someone help with what I should install and in words that a computer semi-illerate can understand.

Or is this just above my capabilities?
rtbrd

Re: New to F@H need startup info

Postby rtbrd » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:51 pm

Sorry, just realized I posted this on the wrong topic.

Edit by Mod:
NP. Your posts have been merged into a single topic.
rtbrd

newbee needs help on what to install

Postby rtbrd » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:53 pm

I just heard about Folding@home and thought that it would be a excellent way to use my pc deadtime. Reading thru what to use quickly (1 paragraph) got over my head.

I have a new Dell XPS8000 with an Intel i7 quad core processor running Windows 7. I did not see a Windows 7 client listed. It has a NVIDIA GeForce GTS240 video card.

Please someone help with what I should install and in words that a computer semi-illerate can understand.

Or is this just above my capabilities?rtbrd
rtbrd

Postby John_Weatherman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:10 am

If you're new to it all (we all were once!) then I'd suggest having 4 Windows Console clients 6.23 to get started. Once they're up and running you can forget about them. (Use FAHMon to see how they're doing)Then you can read up about the high performance clients for your card and multiple cores.
Check out the Wiki at http://fahwiki.net/index.php/FAH_%26_SMP#Running_Multiple_Clients and have a browse through the rest.
Don't be afraid to ask if you have problems.
John_Weatherman

Re: newbee needs help on what to install

Postby patonb » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:17 am

1 gpu unts simple. d/l the client install exe and run it. get the systray version.

Then run the icon on the desktop. In the taskbar(bottom right corner btw), you'll see the icon running there, right click and click the setup. Put in your desired username and team number.

Than quit and restart and youre done.
WooHoo = L5639 @ 3.3Ghz Evga SR-2 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 CM 212+ Corsair 1050hx Blackhawk Ultra EVGA 560ti

Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz x58a-ud3r 216-216 @ 850/2000 3x2gb OCZ Gold NH-u12 Heatsink Corsair hx520 Antec 900
patonb

Postby bruce » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:06 am

Welcome to foldingforum.org, rtbrd.

As a newbie, we can forgive you for posting in the "wrong" place. It's easy to fix, and in this case, I think it makes more sense to have it all in one place, even though the two choices you made were both good ones.

Because you posted both in the classic and the GPU forums, you got two different answers. The Classic client is the simplest to install and run. I'd do that first. Then with a little experience you can move on to multiple copies of it. (Each classic client uses only one of your CPU's cores.)

. . . or you can move on to the GPU client. It's not particularly difficult and can be run simultaneously with one or more copies of the Classic client as long as each one is assigned a unique Machine ID.

The SMP client can be more of a challenge, so I'd postpone that one. Some people have a lot of trouble -- others have no trouble at all.

Development has been working on some new options but there's no clear statement about how any of that will change things or when that might happen.
bruce

Postby rtbrd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:22 pm

bruce,

Thanx. I read several posts while searching for this one. I think that your approach would be the best. After reading the other posts I feel that I am standing at the base of Mt. Everest looking up, a big learning curve looms ahead. Learn to crawl before walking.

Joe
rtbrd

Postby rtbrd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:14 pm

I came back and re-read this and please excuse me for not saying "Thanx" to all that replied, very bad manners. Thank you all.

Joe
rtbrd

Postby kiore » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi and welcome to folding, you have a very nice system and you should be able to make a good contribution, I second what Bruce says start out with what you can, in the process you will be able to learn and add more complex setups, better that than to attempt the more complicated ones first off and lose interest. It takes a little time to get used to but I'm sure you will learn quickly (I did). Running just 1 or even all 4 cpu/classic/uniprocessor clients on you system is an excellent contribution, once you've figured than then the gpu is very easy.
The win7 client will be listed as Vista.
kiore.

GTX 1080ti and GTX 1080 , OS= win7.
kiore

Postby rtbrd » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:38 am

Just before Xmas and things are starting to get a little hetic but I hope to be able to get up and running tomorrow. Keeping the fingers crossed.

I did not notice a "general" topic on the board. I have diabetes and one of the possible complications is Alzheimer's. How do I find a team that would be working that problem? If there is one I would lke to be part of it, if not I will start my own.

Joe
rtbrd

Postby MtM » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:52 am

We can not work on specific targets, we all fold what Stanford puts out. Sometimes certain projects have high priority and we're all running the same mix of wu's, sometimes there is a much broader range being put out.

The general topic is located at the bottum of the forums and is called 'Discussions of general FAH topics'.

I would love to cure cancer somehow, as I lost many relatives to it. But I can not choose to run any specifics on it, infact, most wu's are targetting AD and HD ( alzheimer and huntington ) so you're on that aspect even if it sounds crude 'lucky'.

Teams do not work on specific projects, teams are made for people to convey information, help eachother out with troubleshooting, trying to recruit more people, and to keep being motivated.

Allot of donors fold for team 0, or the 'not a team' team, but as you noticed probably, allot have formed teams which also compete on a point basis to do as much scientific work as possible. The points can't not be exchanged for let's say a nice Ferrari, even if you had a zillion of em, but among folders it gives a certain status. It shows commitment and dedication, as gathering points means contributing with hw purchases and running costs.

I'm quite sure there will be some teams where the emphasis of most donors connection with the project is Alzheimers, but I don't know any from the top of my mind. I would use google and do a litle searching, and if you can not find a team pm me and I'll tell you about the one I'm a member of. It's not done to recruit on this support forum publicly, and I agree with that rule fully, but it's not against the rules to say I know a friendly team with good people, and while I can't name even one particular person who's folding for alzheimer specificly on that team I'm quite sure there has to be one somewhere.
MtM

Postby rtbrd » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:41 am

Thanx for explaining this. I really don't care what my machine does as long as it contributes to the end result (of a worthwhile project). There are many more intelligent and in the know people out there that can use their intellect and pull to decide those type of things. I think this is something that can be used (massive paralleling) to accomplish a multitude of problems, this being just one.

This is where I start. I really appreciate the input.

Joe
rtbrd

Postby rtbrd » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:16 pm

The instructions said to exclude FAH from virus protection including the working files. I have excluded the folder and sub-folders where the program resides but I don't know where the working files are located.
rtbrd

Postby MtM » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:46 pm

If you have the systray version which I think you do,
During the installation process, the installer created a new folder in the Start menu. You can find it under Start -> Programs -> Folding@Home-x86 as indicated here:

from the guide should help. Click the link for data files and you know where they are stored.
MtM

Postby rtbrd » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:54 am

MtM,

Windows 7 works a little different, it did not show the work files, however I went to the directory where the program was saved and after starting the program a new sub-directory was created named "WorK". I believe this is where the work files are and it is in the exclusion list for the virus scan.

I have now been running for ~ 8 hours and I am at 94% so I guess I am up and running.

Tomorrow I will try adding another client to bring another core online.

:D
rtbrd

Next

Return to Windows Classic V6.23 Client