Am I doing things right? Is there a better way?

This client will only use a single CPU

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Am I doing things right? Is there a better way?

Postby barebear » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:33 am

A reply in 5 minutes ?!

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME !!

Thank You PantherX -- I've already followed your link and am waiting for the email.

Wow again -- I just looked and my passkey has come.

I will keep you all advised per my last reply.

Thank you all so much again --I'm 67 and only too glad to be part of this scene--hopefully they come up w/ an Alzheimers cure before I catch it !
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel MB
Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Proc.BX80605I7860
16Gb ram
barebear

Postby barebear » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:33 am

It would appear that the better way has happened :mrgreen: :biggrin: :D :)

Per my last reply I waited for the old 6.23 to finish and send the WU it was doing and then just deleted the entire FAH folder from my D: drive.

While waiting for the 6.23 to finish, I downloaded FAHClient v7.1.24 .exe - X86-32 Windows per the advice of bdwilson and Bruce.

It appears to have installed perfectly -- that box about client type already had SMP in it.

I think it is set up and running the way it should be ( it sure seems to be running fast ), but to be sure am presenting the following screenshots for review and comment.

Please let me know if I've done anything incorrectly -- I did make one change in Preferences; I put a checkmark in the Start Minimized box.

I do have 1 question re the screenshot of the Folding at Home Client Control box -- it says ETA of 9hrs 58 min, but further down there is
a preferred deadline of 2.7 days
. Does this mean I'll be done with the job in that amount of time ( 9hrs 58 min )? Is my machine is running too fast ? Is there going to be an issue or will I have a system problem because of this ?

Huge Thanks again to all of you and most especially bdwilson and Bruce, whom I hope to hear back from re all of the preceding.

Best regards, Peter
barebear

Postby Zagen30 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:23 am

From a brief glance things look fine.

The preferred deadline is the time by which Stanford wants the WU back; you're supposed to be getting them in faster, hopefully well before this deadline. They make the deadlines somewhat lenient to account for slower hardware and part-time folders. The ETA is indeed how long the client predicts it'll take to finish that WU.

The only way in which you can be running too fast is if you've overclocked your processor to the point where it's not stable, which I'm virtually certain you haven't. As long as your hardware is stable, there's no such thing as too fast. The bonus point scheme was in fact set up to encourage people to turn around work as quickly as possible.

The bonus is calculated based on how much time there is left before the deadline (I forget which deadline). If you miss the preferred deadline, you won't get a bonus and the WU gets sent out to another person, but if you return it before the final deadline you'll still get the base credit (and the other person will get whatever credit they earn regardless of what happens to your copy). If you miss the final deadline you get nothing. With an i7, though, you'll never miss the preferred deadline unless your computer is down.

Note that you won't start earning bonus points until you've turned in 10 SMP WUs with your passkey.
Zagen30

Postby barebear » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:35 am

Thank you Zagen !

I don't know anything about overclocking and would never want to modify my equipment from the settings it was designed with.
barebear

Postby bdwilson » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:33 am

Your settings look fine. You will be finishing before the due date which is exactly what the people at the Folding project want. They want to encourage people to leave their machines folding 24/7 so that the work is returned to them more quickly. The SMP client was designed so that after you finish your first 10 work units, you will start getting bonus points based on how quickly you send the work units back in. It looks like your machine is going to be finishing several days before they are due, so you should be getting very nice bonuses if you let your machine work 24/7. :)
bdwilson

Postby bruce » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:53 pm

barebear wrote:( it sure seems to be running fast )

the only thing I'll add to the comments that have already been made is that "seems to be running fast" tends to be an inaccurate way to measure things. You can't compare how long it takes to run Project A with how long it takes to run Project B. You're currently running Project 6946 and you were certainly running a different project on your previous installation. If you look at the top of this page, you'll see a link to Project Summary. There, you'll find that this project has 77113 atoms, a Preferred Deadline of 2.70 days, and a Final Deadline of 4.00 days. Just looking through the list, you'll see that many other projects have extremely different values in those columns. The speed with which you complete a project has to be compared to those deadlines (normally to the Preferred Deadline, because that's when the server will decide a WU has been lost and will create a duplicate assignment to send to someone else).

The project you just completed on the other client was 6891 which has a Preferred Deadline of 27 days . . . ten times as long . . . so although you'll finish this project much sooner than you finished the other one, they've moved the goal posts, as well because of both the differences in scientific complexity and the priority of the project. You'll be doing more for science and you'll earn points faster, too, but the perceived speed isn't really an accurate way to judge different projects.
bruce

Postby bruce » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:43 pm

barebear wrote:. . . I find it very odd that issue of not being able to make a scheduled image has never occurred prior to last night.
. . .
I am not outright blaming FAH, but the chain of events makes me very suspicious.
. . .

This is a new issue that belongs in the V7 beta forum. I'm moving this new discussion there.
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=19283
bruce

Previous

Return to Windows Classic V6.23 Client