Ability to Live edit .cfg file from Command Line

This client will only use a single CPU

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Ability to Live edit .cfg file from Command Line

Postby Spitfire19 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:00 pm

I am looking for a way to automatically adjust Folding@home's CPU allocation so that it can be changed at various times in the day automatically. (i.e. automatically bumps up to 100% at 7pm after I'm done with work and then revert back at 8 in the morning.) I have command line, the client.cfg, bat files, and Task Scheduler at my disposal. Anyone have any idea how to accomplish this?

Also would be helpful, knowing how to quit FaH from command line while still keeping the last checkpoint. Ending the Process seems to make it forget it was working on something.
AMD 965 + Radeon HD 6950 + Win7 Home(x64) + V7.1.52

Currently Working On: Finishing the summer semester.
Spitfire19

Re: Ability to Live edit .cfg file from Command Line

Postby bruce » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:12 pm

There's no additional developments planned for FAH V6 so don't expect any changes there. On the other hand, V7 is explicitly designed for expansion and capabilities such as you're requesting are certainly possible. The FAHClient component is designed to work dynamically with FAHControl which can make changes like that without stopping FAHClient. FAHControl isn't designed to work with .bat files, but the changes you're looking for can be made by another program through the port 36630 interface. That other program can be as simple or complex as people want. This is something that I expect will be provided by 3rd party developers through this new interface.

The fundamental question, though, is why you want to reduce the CPU allocation. The OS is supposed to manage the yielding of resources needed by other CPU based tasks. FAH has always run at an extremely low priority explicitly so that it will back off whenever there are competing tasks. (This doesn't work as well with the GPU, but you didn't mention that.) The idea is that there are idle times during the day that FAH could be using, as well, as long as it doesn't interfere with the other applications.

How about describing your system and how you've configured FAH and see if the problem can be fixed without relying on a specific time of day to manage the resources.
bruce

Return to Windows Classic V6.23 Client