Problem with machine IDs

This client will only use a single CPU

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Problem with machine IDs

Postby Drs_Res » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:46 am

Hi all!

I am new to all of this, but have been folding for a few days now.
I decided to go with the systray version and it is running fine on my Windows7 4 core machine.
I decided that I wanted to do more, so I followed the instructions: "Installation for a multi-CPU system (Systray version)".
Things went fine for the second client, so I decided that I would go for all four processors.

The problem I am having is with the machine ID assignments. Bear with me here and I'll try to make this clear as mud.
I currently have 4 shortcuts on my desktop: CPU1, CPU2, CPU3 and CPU4.
CPU1 = machine ID1. (no problem there)
CPU4 = machine ID4. (no problem there)

The problem is assigning ID2 and ID3. Every time I change the ID for CPU2, it also changes the ID for CPU3 and visa versa.
So right now I am running CPU1,CPU2 and CPU4. IDs are 1,2 and 4 respectively.

I have deleted the shortcuts and remade and configured them, always the same result. I have also Deleted the WORK folder and the queue.dat file in both the "Folding@home-x86-2" and "Folding@home-x86-3" folders before configuring.

Any suggestions on getting the 3rd CPU machine ID assigned without changing the 2nd CPU machine ID?

Thanks in advance.
Drs_Res

Re: Problem with machine IDs

Postby bruce » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Each shortuct must use a different location for the Start_in where the client can store the working files. (The program that you're running can be the same for them all.) I'm not sure why it worked for CPU4, but if you prepare four different directories you will be able to configure four clients, each with their own MachineID.
bruce

Postby 7im » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:01 pm

How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Drs_Res » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:26 pm

bruce wrote:Each shortuct must use a different location for the Start_in where the client can store the working files. (The program that you're running can be the same for them all.) I'm not sure why it worked for CPU4, but if you prepare four different directories you will be able to configure four clients, each with their own MachineID.

I have each shortcut set to the correct Start_in:
CPU1 Set to "C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-x86"
CPU2 Set to "C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-x86-2"
CPU3 Set to "C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-x86-3"
CPU4 Set to "C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-x86-4"
Where [User Name] is my User Name.
And yes, each of those directories is there.
Last edited by Drs_Res on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drs_Res

Postby Drs_Res » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:33 pm

7im wrote:See also

Installation for a multi-CPU system (Console)
or
Installation for a multi-CPU system (Systray GUI)

I followed the instructions for the Installation for a multi-CPU system (Systray GUI) to the letter.
Drs_Res

Postby 7im » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Let's do this as well, so we can assure no more cross pollination... (as appropriate for your version of Windows)

Target: "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-x86\Folding@home.exe"
Target: "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-x86\Folding@home.exe-2"
Target: "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-x86\Folding@home.exe-3"
Target: "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-x86\Folding@home.exe-4"

Also remove any FAH links from the Startup folder, if not gone already. Once you get the 4 custom FAH icons on the desktop working, you can copy those back in to the Startup folder if you wish.
7im

Postby Drs_Res » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:52 pm

7im wrote:Let's do this as well, so we can assure no more cross pollination... (as appropriate for your version of Windows)

Target: "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-x86\Folding@home.exe"
Target: "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-x86\Folding@home.exe-2"
Target: "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-x86\Folding@home.exe-3"
Target: "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-x86\Folding@home.exe-4"

Also remove any FAH links from the Startup folder, if not gone already. Once you get the 4 custom FAH icons on the desktop working, you can copy those back in to the Startup folder if you wish.

Okay, so make 3 more copies of the .exe and change the Target in the shortcut properties. That was not in the instructions, but I can try that later. I want to finish the 3 WU I currently have working before I do anything else.
There are no links in the Startup folder. I made sure of that per the original instructions.
Drs_Res

Postby 7im » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:00 pm

Not in the instructions, because not usually needed. But when there are problems, this is how we have worked about it in the past.

I'm on the fence about getting the install guide updated to follow this work around. It's not usually needed, and it's a lot more work. Simpler is usually better in an install guide. Then again, anyone who wants to run 4 clients should probably assume simple was left behind a ways back.

Quick question... why run multiple CPU clients instead of one SMP client? SMP would get you more points, assuming your computer is on and running fah most of the day.
7im

Postby Drs_Res » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Well, when I was deciding what version to use, I decided that simple install and set and forget was best. The FAQ also suggested that the new user might want to start out like this. So that is why I chose the Uniprocessor Systray version.

The first client was working without any problems and expanding it to more cores of the machine is fairly simple, so for the time being it is a way to help out a little more.

I'll look into the SMP since my machine is on 24/7 and is not heavily taxed, resource wise. I do already have a passkey.
Drs_Res

Postby P5-133XL » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:47 pm

You also may find the v7 client to be a simple solution for the "simple install and set and forget" mentality for that is whom it was designed for. It is also easy to change between multiple uniprocessor clients or a single smp client.
P5-133XL

Postby Jesse_V » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:03 pm

Note: you can find the v7 client by Googling "Folding@home v7"
it is currently under development, and has some bugs, but it should work reasonably well.
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Return to Windows Classic V6.23 Client