Migrating work unit?

This client will only use a single CPU

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Migrating work unit?

Postby monsteve » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:52 am

Hi fellow folders,

I'm running a pair of cpu folders (each on a different user account).

Once a year or sooner I like to do a fresh install of the whole os.
I have started that install on a seperate drive, now I'm waiting on the work unit to finish.
I finished and quit the other folder but the second folder is in the midst of a 5 day long wu on one client, would it be possible to migrate that unit over to the new os?

I have tried it before but ended up losing the unit.

Could anyone suggest where all the relevant files are located and any settings that might need to be changed?

Many thanks

quad6600, xpsp3
monsteve

Re: Migrating work unit?

Postby codysluder » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Welcome to the folding support forum, monsteve.

Which client are you running? When you say "another drive" does that mean that the old drive will still be on-line?

The safest way to migrate the WU is to simply keep running the same WU on the old drive (at least until the 5 days are up).
codysluder

Postby Jesse_V » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:42 pm

Like codysluder said, its best to let the WU finish. The server will recognize that the WU was returned with a different machine ID than the one it was downloaded to and won't properly accept it. So for maximum scientific productivity, you should be able to reinstall F@h on your other hard drive, but keep it disconnected from the Internet so it can't start. Since you posted in the Main Uniprocessor section of the client I'm going to assume that that's your client. The files you need should be located under something like C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming and there should be a F@h file there I believe. I'd check the Main Installation Guide to confirm where those files are located. If you migrate them over to your newer hard drive I believe your settings and whatnot should remain, and things should startup fine on the next WU. Good luck!
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby monsteve » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:35 pm

Makes sense to let it finish, I tried moving one before and lost it.
Machine ID and the roaming pointer is handy info.
I will be keeping the other drive and will use it as a back-up drive.
Cheers guys

I'm using the CPU 6.23 version
monsteve

Postby bruce » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:52 pm

The Roaming pointer works for some of the newer clients but not necessarily the older ones, depending on how they were installed. Take a close look at the properties of whatever shortcut you use to start the client. Both the Target and the Start_in. The Start_in points to wherever the data is stored. The Target points to wherever the actual software is installed. After migrating the OS to a new drive, you can continue to run FAH from a secondary drive, as has been recommended, but you will need to build a new shortcut with the updated information.

Since the new OS has a new Registry, FAH will assign a new UserID to the new OS and count it as a new machine. This will disqualify that particular WU from a bonus but I believe you'll still get baseline credit whether or not it would have qualified for a bonus.
bruce

Return to Windows Classic V6.23 Client