BSOD's, Win7 vs XP, etc.........

This client will only use a single CPU

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

BSOD's, Win7 vs XP, etc.........

Postby BuleriaChk@aol.com » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:38 pm

Hi, all,

I'm new to this group; I have a dated Core 2 Duo (Asus P5B mb) that I'm dedicating to this project. However, I do get occasional (once a day or so) BSOD's that I'm not going to bother to troubleshoot. I do have a partition for Win7 that I haven't tested yet with F@H, but I think the problem is probably hardware.

My questions are:

1. Is my FH work affected by the BSOD, or does it pick up where it left off after re-boot?
2. Is Win7 preferable to WinXP (i.e., does it matter which partition I use?)
3. Is it worth it to use both cpu cores?

That said, I'm in the process of building yet another computer (Intel I7 2600k, Asus Z68 motherboard will overclock to at least 4 Mhz), which I am also going to use for FH when I'm not immersed in gaming (hey, i'm 71 and finally got through Killzone 3 at the elite level on my PS3 - which also will be used for FH in the future).

Best,
Chuck
"Flamenco Chuck" Keyser
http://www.flamencochuck.com
BuleriaChk@aol.com

Re: BSOD's, Win7 vs XP, etc.........

Postby 7im » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:33 pm

Hello Chuck, welcome to the forum.

1. Potentially, yes. Fah does write checkpoints where it saves it's place, but if the BSOD happens at the wrong time, it will corrupt the data, and the work unit will have to start over from scratch.
2. No difference, except if Win 7 doesn't BSOD, then that is obviously preferable.
3. If the PC runs fah 24/7 (or close to it) then yes, using both cores produces a lot more science, and thus more points. The SMP client is better, but 2 CPU clients is also good.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Re: BSOD's, Win7 vs XP, etc.........

Postby bruce » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:39 pm

If you do find that the BSODs are only in WinXP and not in Win7, then it's a driver problem. There's a good chance it's a hardware problem and if so, they will be equal.
bruce

Return to Windows Classic V6.23 Client