Server problem, or client problem?

This client will only use a single CPU

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Server problem, or client problem?

Postby scotiawhiskers » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:27 pm

I've had this problem for about a week now - single core Socket A Athlon but 2Gb RAM and XP SP3 32bit. Hope they get it sorted, my stats are lagging!
scotiawhiskers

Postby Paul Masley » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:40 pm

It has now been going on for three days. Any ideas at how to solve the problem?
Paul Masley

Postby scotiawhiskers » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:54 pm

Or even a way to force the client to look for the other servers to get work? Please?
scotiawhiskers

Postby Joe_H » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:01 pm

There is no way to bypass the assignment servers. From the logs posted we can see that more than one server has been contacted in attempts to get work. The PG is aware of the problem and is looking into why the assignment servers are not connecting these requests to servers that have work available. Dr. Pande has posted in one of the topics asking about this, post in other topic.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby WacoJohn » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Joe_H wrote:There is no way to bypass the assignment servers. From the logs posted we can see that more than one server has been contacted in attempts to get work. The PG is aware of the problem and is looking into why the assignment servers are not connecting these requests to servers that have work available. Dr. Pande has posted in one of the topics asking about this, post in other topic.

Very encouraging, Joe. thank you for that info.
WacoJohn

Postby GreyWhiskers » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:49 am

FYI, the server stats as of Report initiated on Tue Jan 29 19:30:11 PST 2013 is still showing REJECT state with no WU available. This is the only work server I've seen in a year providing core 78 work units to my Pentium M laptop.
GreyWhiskers

Postby Paul Masley » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:09 am

Guess I will whine now. I need my fix. It has been five days since this server crash. Guess the server will not get any tips after dinner tonite.
Paul Masley

Postby WacoJohn » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:26 am

I do believe the servers are back in function . the two computers that could not get work units are .. as of tonight. The universe is back in alignment.
WacoJohn

Postby Paul Masley » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:43 pm

Still could not get back on. I deleted the queue and unitinfo from the main file directory and FAH loaded the a4 core and is now working.
Paul Masley

Postby WacoJohn » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:06 pm

Back again .... 7 months later.

No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.

has been going on for well over a week. This on the little Acer netbook

I have deleted queue.dat .... no help.

W7 STARTER 32-bit Intel Atom processor (Aspire Netbook) 1GB.

The two other computers are folding fine.

I REALLY wish I understood the server status screens at
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/pybeta/serverstat.html

so that I could interpret better ... I have looked for a 'tutorial' on it, but found nothing. I am like a dog watching TV there ... I know something is happening, but have no idea what it is.

If this is something I can do at my end to fix this, I would welcome the advice. Thank you in advance.
WacoJohn

Postby Joe_H » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:51 pm

There is currently a shortage of work for single core WU assignments. A number of servers are still offline after a server move at the end of August, no word on when they will be back online. As it occurred at end of Summer quarter at Stanford and the Fall quarter starts after this week, they may be busy.

As for tutorials on the server status page, I don't know of any. But information is built-in to the page, hover your cursor over the i's on blue dots. Descriptions of the different values in the rows and columns will show in a popup.

P.S. Since this is posted in the 6.23 client forum, if you have not upgraded the client from that you should upgrade to at least 6.34.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby WacoJohn » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Well, OK then, Joe. Thank you .... since I fold on two single core machines .. and one is folding and the other is not, I thought it was me. Good explanation .. thanks. I will update my client(s) as you have suggested.

Yes, I have spent many hours looking over the status page ... and I have seen the 'hints' at what each column is about ... but it falls far short of meaning much to me. I guess I will have to continue that until some of it sinks in.

By the way .. where did you get that information ... it would have 'soothed' me some time ago had I known where to find it.

Thanks again.
WacoJohn

Postby Joe_H » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:52 pm

The PG has a blog where announcements and other F@H related information is posted. There is a link to the blog at the top of the forum, but that needs to be updated as it goes to the old location. The new URL is http://folding.stanford.edu/home/blog, there is also a RSS feed.

Some of the other information has been posted here or on the Folding pages at Stanford as part of its recent update. As for what the hints mean, ask here in the forum and we can answer specific questions on them.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:28 am

One of my client installations is on a P4 with a single processor core. It's not getting any work either. There's nothing I can do except wait for somebody to generate some additional work which can be completed by a single core.

Suppose each WU takes four days to process on a single core and they need a ordered sequence of 250 WUs (work for 1000 days). It will take three to four years to finish the project. Scientists don't want to wait that long so they assign a tighter deadline and assign their project to computers with a quad or better and they can expect results in 8-9 months. Finding work that is suitable for uniprocessor systems does present a challenge.
bruce

Postby WacoJohn » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:53 am

You gentleman are terrific. Thank you both for your comments, links, and explanations. I really do appreciate it.
WacoJohn

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Classic V6.23 Client