High CPU usage

This client will only use a single CPU

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

High CPU usage

Postby DAN_WEBB3148 » Sun May 26, 2013 4:02 am

I have tried the latest version for Folding@home. I don't know if it ever got started running correctly or not, but my cpu usage shot up to 75%. With "Classic V6.23" the CPU usage was just 25%. I think it only used one of my 4 processors. Can you give me a reason to upgrade and have my CPU usage triple?
DAN_WEBB3148

Re: High CPU usage

Postby Jesse_V » Sun May 26, 2013 5:19 am

Welcome to the forum DAN_WEBBB3148.

Your assumption is correct. The old main v6 client was a uniprocessor client, so it only used one CPU. At that point in time the v6 SMP client -- which used multiple CPU cores -- was in beta and a bit unstable. Over time, their software has significantly improved, and it's now normal for their latest release, V7, to use multiple CPU cores. The advantage of this is that using N CPU cores are very close to N times as productive. Thus the short answer is that the latest software uses multiple CPU cores to complete Work Units faster, thus accelerating disease research.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-SMP
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-highperformance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@ho ... ing_client
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby P5-133XL » Sun May 26, 2013 9:47 am

DAN_WEBB3148 wrote:Can you give me a reason to upgrade and have my CPU usage triple?

The whole point of volunteering to fold is to donate surplus CPU cycles for science. You've upgraded the client and it saw more resources to use so it started to use them.

If you wish to lower the CPU usage, it can be done relatively easily. start the advanced control (right click on the folding icon in the systray and select advanced control. Click configure and choose the slots tab. Double click the CPU slot and from there change the number of threads to the amount you feel you'd like to donate.
P5-133XL

Postby PantherX » Sun May 26, 2013 11:53 am

Please note that even though the CPU Usage can be 100% (if you configure the Client to do so), you shouldn't notice any impact with the majority of applications since it runs at a very low priority. However, do note that it may have an impact on your electric bill if you plan to fold 24/7 with your CPU.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby DAN_WEBB3148 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Thank you for your reply. It was helpful.
DAN_WEBB3148

Return to Windows Classic V6.23 Client