New official CPU installation/configuration guides

This client will only use a single CPU

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

New official CPU installation/configuration guides

Postby Xilikon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:29 pm

I'm proud to announce that we now have a new section on the official Stanford F@H site. Vijay Pande asked me if I can write those guides to help users install and configure the clients (especially the SMP clients) and I accepted. I believe this will fill the void on the official site where nobody cannot find a good guide, relying only on scattered infos, official or not.

The Guides main page can be found at http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... lish/Guide and a direct link button will be available shortly.

The guides relevant to the Windows uniprocessor client can be found at :

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... inUNIGuide

The guides is written for the 6.20 version in mind. It include both the Systray and Console versions.

You can also find other guides for the Windows SMP and GPU clients, Linux unified client, Macintosh clients (only missing the Macintosh classic client setup) and PS3 client.

Before we can add the button on the top for the whole public to access them freely, I'm asking everyone who use those guides to provide some feedback either in this thread or via PM. The feedback will help me tweak them so it's very easy to understand for a broad range of users.

Regards,
Stephane Renaud
Last edited by 7im on Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit title to match the other Guide posts...
Xilikon

Re: New official installation/configuration guides

Postby Geoff_A_Jones » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:58 pm

The explanation of Machine ID needs to Specify that it is for more than one client on each machine
i.e. it is quite acceptable to have 2 clients with a machine I.D. of 1 if they're on different machines.
Geoff_A_Jones

Postby Xilikon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:03 pm

Geoff_A_Jones wrote:The explanation of Machine ID needs to Specify that it is for more than one client on each machine
i.e. it is quite acceptable to have 2 clients with a machine I.D. of 1 if they're on different machines.

Point taken, this is a good suggestion. I'll clarify this so there is no confusion.
Xilikon

Postby Great_Gig » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:15 pm

The guides are excellent and I have used the windows guide and just read the Linux SMP Guide.

I have a couple of possible tweaks to the Linux guide - I can send you a PM with info if you like?
Team: 132987
notaussiefloyd.com F@h Team
Folding: Q6600 @ 2.88GHz | Notfred Diskless Linux 64bit SMP
Great_Gig

Postby coolbiker » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:08 pm

Just because Im noticing it now for the system tray that you may need to right click the executable and run as admin to successfully get the program to run as intended in vista (at least my 64 bit vista premium version)
coolbiker

Postby Baowoulf » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:48 pm

I don't know if you've done it already I couldn't find anything about it. Maybe you should add in about the viewer not working correctly. So when people are thinking something is wrong they can read the guide and know that there isn't a problem on their end, it's just not useable yet.
Baowoulf

Postby Xilikon » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:28 pm

Baowoulf wrote:I don't know if you've done it already I couldn't find anything about it. Maybe you should add in about the viewer not working correctly. So when people are thinking something is wrong they can read the guide and know that there isn't a problem on their end, it's just not useable yet.

Point taken and guide edited to add the note about the viewer.
Xilikon

Re: New official CPU installation/configuration guides

Postby goggles_1 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:59 pm

Thanks, these guides are useful but note that regular users may not get here and the info on the main download page is confusing.

On the download page at

stanford dot edu/group/pandegroup/cgi-bin/edit/English/Download

(it is blocking me from posting complete urls)

The section for the windows cpu systray client, the big question mark icon/installation notes link, points to not only the version 5 info but even more confusing, it points to the console notes. So both the windows gui and console entries point to the console install notes (now outdated.) Probably a cut and paste bug.

I'm sure everyone is really busy, but I would update those links on the main download page to these new guides and link them to the correct notes as well. That will provide the regular user with a much better experience and foh will get a higher adoption rate.

Hope this helps. Thanks for all of the great work.
goggles_1

Postby Xilikon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:02 pm

goggles_1 wrote:Thanks, these guides are useful but note that regular users may not get here and the info on the main download page is confusing.

On the download page at

stanford dot edu/group/pandegroup/cgi-bin/edit/English/Download

(it is blocking me from posting complete urls)

The section for the windows cpu systray client, the big question mark icon/installation notes link, points to not only the version 5 info but even more confusing, it points to the console notes. So both the windows gui and console entries point to the console install notes (now outdated.) Probably a cut and paste bug.

I'm sure everyone is really busy, but I would update those links on the main download page to these new guides and link them to the correct notes as well. That will provide the regular user with a much better experience and foh will get a higher adoption rate.

Hope this helps. Thanks for all of the great work.

Don't worry, it will be corrected today as soon as Vijay Pande make a formal announcement. By then, all the links should point to the proper guides.
Xilikon

Postby Jan van de Velde » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:44 pm

At work I use various machines at various times. A year ago I installed version 5.03 on a memorystick and used to run Folding that way. Now I lost the stick, and tried to install F@H on a new one. But the new version 6.20 didn't let me choose where to place the Folding-folder, (the installation wizard didn't give me any configuration screen), and placed the new version right into my existing 5.03 c-program-files-Folding@Home folder, no user name, no teamnumber, nothing.

I think (hope) I solved this (copied the folder to my stick), but now the version 6.20 doesn't give me any "uninstall" options.

The above may sound a bit confused. Sorry, I'm just your everyday average computer user without the faintest idea about the innards of these machines.

Could you in some way describe:
    How to install F@H on USB-memory sticks.
    How to uninstall v6.20?
(please??)
Last edited by Jan van de Velde on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan van de Velde

Postby 7im » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:56 pm

Copy the files back to where you found them (v5.03 folder location?), and the uninstall should work again.

The console version the client is easier to install at a location of your choosing. The Systray client wants to stay in one place to make it easier to new or infrequent users to run the client, and upgrade later. However, it can be done if you are up for some extra configuration.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Jan van de Velde » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:43 pm

7im wrote:Copy the files back to where you found them (v5.03 folder location?), and the uninstall should work again.

I never copied it away from the location the installation wizard automatically put it in:

I just copied the folder 'Folding@home-x86' together with it's two subfolders to my memorystick.

Now trying to get rid of 'Folding@home-x86' together with it's two subfolders from my home machine which I used to try and download Folding onto my new stick, I try to uninstall.

Start-all programs gives me a separate mention of folding x-86, but no uninstall option. For the existing version 5.0x I do have that option.

I will wait till my home machine finishes it's current WU, and
    then just delete that x-86 folder and keep on running my 5.0x, hoping for the best, or:
    delete that x-86 folder, uninstall 5.0x and install x-86

And tomorrow I will still have to try to run x-86 (via the folders I copied to my stick) from a machine at the workplace......
Time will learn :|

I just hope I'm not aborting too many WU's with all this messing about.

And by the way, thanks for the assistance, whatever the outcome.
Jan van de Velde

Postby Baowoulf » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:19 pm

Jan you want to remove it through Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. That's how I uninstalled 5.03.
Baowoulf

Postby Jan van de Velde » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:57 pm

Baowoulf wrote:Jan you want to remove it through Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. That's how I uninstalled 5.03.

Thanks, better idea, did that (used CCleaner). And 5.03 stil works fine. :D

The x86 folder I copied out of this mess to my memorystick also works, so simply copying the folder is enough. Ofcourse I have to start and quit Folding manually when changing (classrooms and thus) machines, but that's just what I want. Anyway, everything works just as I want.

Now waiting for the viewer to work. That way I can beam it onto the classroom whiteboard now and again. Got two pupils interested and folding that way. :ewink:

So, having learned from this, perhaps my experience can be added to the guide, in a paragraph about installing x86 on a memorystick?
Jan van de Velde

Postby Xilikon » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:28 pm

Jan van de Velde wrote:
Baowoulf wrote:Jan you want to remove it through Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. That's how I uninstalled 5.03.

Thanks, better idea, did that (used CCleaner). And 5.03 stil works fine. :D

The x86 folder I copied out of this mess to my memorystick also works, so simply copying the folder is enough. Ofcourse I have to start and quit Folding manually when changing (classrooms and thus) machines, but that's just what I want. Anyway, everything works just as I want.

Now waiting for the viewer to work. That way I can beam it onto the classroom whiteboard now and again. Got two pupils interested and folding that way. :ewink:

So, having learned from this, perhaps my experience can be added to the guide, in a paragraph about installing x86 on a memorystick?

If you use a console client, no installation is really needed, unzip on the memory stick, configure it and start/stop in a command prompt window. This is why it's pointless to try to install the systray client on it.
Xilikon

Next

Return to Windows Classic V6.23 Client