New official CPU installation/configuration guides

This client will only use a single CPU

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: New official CPU installation/configuration guides

Postby goggles_1 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:35 pm

Xilikon wrote:
goggles_1 wrote:Thanks, these guides are useful but note that regular users may not get here and the info on the main download page is confusing.

On the download page at

stanford dot edu/group/pandegroup/cgi-bin/edit/English/Download

(it is blocking me from posting complete urls)

The section for the windows cpu systray client, the big question mark icon/installation notes link, points to not only the version 5 info but even more confusing, it points to the console notes. So both the windows gui and console entries point to the console install notes (now outdated.) Probably a cut and paste bug.

I'm sure everyone is really busy, but I would update those links on the main download page to these new guides and link them to the correct notes as well. That will provide the regular user with a much better experience and foh will get a higher adoption rate.

Hope this helps. Thanks for all of the great work.

Don't worry, it will be corrected today as soon as Vijay Pande make a formal announcement. By then, all the links should point to the proper guides.

fyi, a new installation guide link to your new guide has been added which is much better but the question mark for the windows gui client on the download page still points to the console instructions.
goggles_1

Postby goggles_1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:49 am

goggles_1 wrote:fyi, a new installation guide link to your new guide has been added which is much better but the question mark for the windows gui client on the download page still points to the console instructions.

It is fixed. Yay!
goggles_1

Postby Jan van de Velde » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:12 pm

Xilikon wrote:If you use a console client, no installation is really needed, unzip on the memory stick, configure it and start/stop in a command prompt window. This is why it's pointless to try to install the systray client on it.

Command prompt windows maybe all very well for computer-adepts, (positively meant) but not for adigibetics like me. :(
Jan van de Velde

Postby Kingcarcas » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:32 am

A few things you could include in this guide.

The next step is to configure it by typing the following command (if you used a different one, use the correct name) :
How? Under "Run", under the Cmd prompt? Should us Vista users right-click and "run as administrator"?

Launch Manually, remove the service in this directory?
What does this do exactly?

Now for the problem i'm having....
I've gotten this client to run in Vista as a service before, but i can't figure it out again. I've tried installing in the username folders, in "C:\Fah\", installing as an Admin, no success. If i follow this guide it does work, but i have to keep the cmd window open and that isn't tidy. :| What's funny is i came back to the Uniprocessor client because i was tired of dealing with the SMP client.
Kingcarcas

Postby mister_playboy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:46 pm

Just a simple question I don't see in the guide. I have my console client running fine, but I don't know how to access it to reconfigure it. Do I do it from the command prompt or the the window that appears when I open the console executable? I understand what the commands do, but I don't understand how I go about inputting them. Everything I type into cmd.exe is met with

is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I will be learning a great deal about this subject soon, as I am switching to Ubuntu from Vista... :) So I wanted to set the console client to not download another WU after if finishes the current one.

Thanks.
mister_playboy

Postby Xilikon » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:50 pm

mister_playboy wrote:Just a simple question I don't see in the guide. I have my console client running fine, but I don't know how to access it to reconfigure it. Do I do it from the command prompt or the the window that appears when I open the console executable? I understand what the commands do, but I don't understand how I go about inputting them. Everything I type into cmd.exe is met with

is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I will be learning a great deal about this subject soon, as I am switching to Ubuntu from Vista... :) So I wanted to set the console client to not download another WU after if finishes the current one.

Thanks.

Do it from the command prompt. If you got that message, it might mean you aren't in the folder where you installed the client. You need to move to that folder first before doing any configuration. If we use C:\Users\Yourname\FAH\ as example, the commands to enter would be :

Code: Select all
cd \
cd users
cd yourname
cd fah

To configure the client, just run the executable with -configonly flag.
Xilikon

Postby mister_playboy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:22 am

Yes, that's it exactly. I understood I had to "aim" the command, but I didn't know the language. "cd" and then each nested step seperately. Thank you so much.
mister_playboy

Postby silveradocyn » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:19 pm

On the console client I can't remember which setting is for the lower CPU Priority. Is Idle or Low the lowest?
The description in the guides just does not make this clear.

- - Silveradocyn
In the wild Canyons of OC.
silveradocyn

Postby Xilikon » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Idle is the lowest and low is just above that.
Xilikon

Postby silveradocyn » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:19 pm

Xilikon wrote:Idle is the lowest and low is just above that.

So Idle is low, and low is high. Got it!

Thank you!
silveradocyn

Postby bruce » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:40 pm

silveradocyn wrote:

Thank you!

Yes, idle is low, but low certainly isn't high.

Realtime
    High
    Above Normal
    Normal
    Below Normal
    Low
    Idle
bruce

Postby silveradocyn » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:20 pm

bruce wrote:
silveradocyn wrote:

Thank you!

Yes, idle is low, but low certainly isn't high.

Realtime
    High
    Above Normal
    Normal
    Below Normal
    Low
    Idle

But we aren't given those options when running -configonly. There are only 2 options listed, Idle and Low.
So of the two choices, Idle is low, and Low is high.
silveradocyn

Postby 7im » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:30 am

silveradocyn wrote:But we aren't given those options when running -configonly. There are only 2 options listed, Idle and Low.
So of the two choices, Idle is low, and Low is high.

You are not technicall wrong, but there is a better way to phrase it. It's not that black and white. Idle is the lowest priority, and Low is only slightly just above the lowest priority. Saying that Low is high is overstating it. Saying that Low is slightly higher than Idle is more accurate. However, both are much lower than what Windows calls "normal" priority.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby shim » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:05 pm

cant see any "this aint working due to xyz reason" section at all. should make a list of the main reasons why users are having issues with the setup and how to fix the main problems
shim

Postby 7im » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:46 am

I don't think we need a section like that inside the setup instructions. Any setup problems that get posted to the forum are then incorporated back in to the install procedures to PREVENT that problem from ever happening again.

It would be silly to let problems happen over and over again, only to later find there was a section at the end of the page that says if you did ABC, then XYZ is the fix. Instead, we try to put XYZ in before the problem happens.

At least that is the general idea, though not always strictly practiced. ;)
7im

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Classic V6.23 Client