Console Client runing with no install

This client will only use a single CPU

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Console Client runing with no install

Postby WangFeiHong » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:25 am

MtM wrote:
patonb wrote:
314159 wrote:Yes, it was TOTALLY illegal in most countries.

This type of activity is also strictly prohibited by the Pande Group.

You can read the details of acceptable use around here somewhere.
Note the section that pertains to folding on another's computer without their WRITTEN permission.

See, thats the thing... The "infected" user HAD to okay the install, and IF the client was d/l from PG, It's not against the PG's writen terms.

So the user gave permission for it to run on their computer, and was d/l from the appropriate place.. It's hard to deal with... Also shows you need to read what you click...

I think, the issue comes in how it auto loads the team and user... that might be where they offical violate the terms.

Like that stupid google bar...

I find it ironic that the only way to get it in the first place is from pirated/illegal material, and then people are crying that whats happen is illegal... nice double standards...

How about just breaking PG EULA which states any actions suchs as including a fixed config file ( as they have done in the past )? That's also the only thing now I think of it which directly affects PG, as this latest installer did download the clients from the correct locations and any action which installs clients on people computers without their knowledge ( which again this didn't do at this moment in time ) is only victimizing the people on who's computer the client is installed not directly the PG ( maybe if you approach it from the angle of giving the software a bad name which slanders the creators as well but I've watched one hollywood movie to much maybe ;) ).

So my previous comment was short sighted, the only people who could fail a claim would be the pirates themselfs who downloaded the affected torrents harr harr :!:

;)

The ingenuity of the entire installer lies in that it actually is able to evade any breakage of the EULA.

Firstly there is nothing in the EULA about the installer folding for a specific team.
Secondly the user installs FAH himself, so technically he is running FAH on a computer that he owns.
Thirdly there is no misrepresentation of information as the installer states clearly every terms and conditions and effects of using the installer and Folding@Home.
Fourthly it did not include or use a fixed config file, instead using a quite clever stdin (standard input) to input the parameters directly into the Folding@Home console client, so it is actually the CLIENT itself that creates the config file, and thus it does not modify any data files in any way.
Fifthly it downloads the client from the Folding@Home website, hence it does not obtain the client from unauthorized sources.
Sixly, there is nothing in the EULA that prohibits such an installer from being posted anywhere (including torrents), and other FAH installers from other authors in the past have also been posted around in the internet (within EULA standards)

In such a way, how does this count as a trojan horse or hacking? A trojan horse disguises itself, hacking requires unauthorized access to the computer. Neither of these are present in the installer.

The only problem that people seem to have is its association with game cracks and other illegal torrents, resulting in a possible defamation in Folding@Home. But that does not break EULA, and technically does not justify any retaliation.
WangFeiHong

Postby patonb » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:31 am

And thus the above posts shows EXACTLY why PG has to take their time while trying to keep things on the up and up.

To keep folding a respectable venture, means having to babysit the Pirates ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!
WooHoo = L5639 @ 3.3Ghz Evga SR-2 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 CM 212+ Corsair 1050hx Blackhawk Ultra EVGA 560ti

Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz x58a-ud3r 216-216 @ 850/2000 3x2gb OCZ Gold NH-u12 Heatsink Corsair hx520 Antec 900
patonb

Postby 314159 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Actually, the definitive response was posted by bruce way above:
bruce wrote:
MtM wrote:Btw did anyone actually send PG ( or did they obtain it otherwise ) the actual installer from FTL and or the torrents it was distributed with?
Yes.

I assure you that Stanford University employs well-qualified counsel in these matters. :ewink:

Posts in this thread by those not intimately familiar with both U.S. and State of California statutes (as such might apply) addressing this relatively complex area of the law are interesting but (pardon the expression) superfluous.

No offense intended :!: - just the opinion of one "relatively informed" (and friendly) man. :)
John (from the central part of the Commonwealth of Virginia, U.S.A.)

A friendly visitor to what hopefully will remain a friendly Forum.
With thanks to all of the dedicated volunteers on the staff here!!

Postby MtM » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:03 pm

WangFeiHong wrote:Firstly there is nothing in the EULA about the installer folding for a specific team.
Secondly the user installs FAH himself, so technically he is running FAH on a computer that he owns.
Thirdly there is no misrepresentation of information as the installer states clearly every terms and conditions and effects of using the installer and Folding@Home.
Fourthly it did not include or use a fixed config file, instead using a quite clever stdin (standard input) to input the parameters directly into the Folding@Home console client, so it is actually the CLIENT itself that creates the config file, and thus it does not modify any data files in any way.
Fifthly it downloads the client from the Folding@Home website, hence it does not obtain the client from unauthorized sources.
Sixly, there is nothing in the EULA that prohibits such an installer from being posted anywhere (including torrents), and other FAH installers from other authors in the past have also been posted around in the internet (within EULA standards)

In such a way, how does this count as a trojan horse or hacking? A trojan horse disguises itself, hacking requires unauthorized access to the computer. Neither of these are present in the installer.

The only problem that people seem to have is its association with game cracks and other illegal torrents, resulting in a possible defamation in Folding@Home. But that does not break EULA, and technically does not justify any retaliation.

I mentioned this before in other threads about this subject, the issue is also they did include fixed config files even while their text file stated otherwise. That's breaking EULA, but I think as said above the definitive answer/responce was already given above :)
MtM

Postby whynot » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:24 pm

toTOW wrote:
whynot wrote: what's their motivation?

Probably the same motives which make people to cheat in game ... to be on top of the stats. :?

I'm still wondering. I've got the impression, that the FTL and that-number-team aren't botnets. Thus there's no botmaster. Thus there's no one authority that could say "Thou, shut down and leave the site".

Thus me wonders, how that happened that the FTL and that-number-team disappeared at once and completely. All those NFS-crack-eagers suddenly reinstalled? There's no botmasters who could die, got drunk, or such. If the crack has vanished from torrents, those teams just should degrade (because that's not affecting install base). Maybe they are blacklisted only within stat counting?

Thus, my question is still open: what's their motivation (if that's in fact 'they')?
--
I'm counting for science.
Points just make me sick.
whynot

Postby 314159 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:02 pm

Ask one of them. :ewink:

Why is this thread not locked?

It seems to me that the situation has been discussed ad nauseum.......

Postby MtM » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:41 pm

314159 wrote:Ask one of them. :ewink:

Why is this thread not locked?

It seems to me that the situation has been discussed ad nauseum.......

Interesting signature, why not leave it to them ( staff ) to decide to when to lock and when not? You might find it superfluous to have people asking/discussing something involves laws which they are not ( imagine it bolded and underlined ) intimately familiar with, but without giving a rating on the actual discussion ( I can't really comment on my own posts so I'm leaving that to others ) the fact that people still have questions ( wether they where thoroughly thought through or not ) is in my view enough reason to not close the subject, or atleast, not put myself in the position to ask for something to be closed since I do have trust in the moderation of this particular forum ( single decissions not withstanding, I'm talking about the overal feel of the forums ) to be able to make that decission without my personal opinion.

Just my .002 cents, don't take it the wrong way :)
MtM

Postby patonb » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:47 pm

And last time the team was chopped, they restarted, so this thread encompasses 2 different time spans... And if theyh figurre out another way, a 3rd.

Plus if you didn't bump it, it woulda stayed dead.
patonb

Previous

Return to Windows Classic V6.23 Client