Console Client runing with no install

This client will only use a single CPU

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Console Client runing with no install

Postby BrainEater » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:47 pm

I am curious if there is an update on this issue.

I've noticed the 'zeroing' of team ftl of march 25th .

I still however see them rocketing upwards on the stats.Evidently , they are being allowed to continue reaping the rewards of thier botnet.

Now I certainly don't want to see them banned , that would be a great loss of processing power ,but perhaps putting all of thier points into the 'default' team would work ?

I do realize (from what I've read) that team ftl has legitimate users , but a few hundred legit users does not equal twenty-five-thousand working processors.Unless there is a way to sort the legit users from the bots , team ftl is irrevocably tainted.

Letting this team continue sets a very dangerous precedent in my view.

Please let us all (the thousands of users that are pissed off about this) know about the 'final decision' .
BrainEater

Postby dlucent » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:19 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. As of now we are standing by our decision to zero the team in its entirety. The fact that they are still getting points means that there must be a bug in our software that is designed to keep them from getting points. I will look into this immediately and try to resolve the problem. Thanks!

-Del
dlucent
Pande Group Member

Postby BrainEater » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:53 pm

You are welcome.

And Thanks for the update.

------
BrainEater

Postby Foxbat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:15 am

It looks like the name of team #149135 has changed from "Team FTL" to "F-T-L". I didn't know it was possible to change any facet of the F@H statistics. It does, however, still appear to be an active team. According to the EOC, they added 22 users in the last 24 hours.

I hope this whole incident does not give Stanford and the Folding at Home project a black eye. I'd hate to see "FAH" be added to the ranks of "Adware" or "Malware" due to the actions of some pointsmonger(s).
Foxbat

Postby 7im » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:47 am

The Anonymous user on team F-T-L still has 500+ active processors! At least that's down from 5000+ :(

Anonymous Last updated: Tue Apr 14 16:00:04 PDT 2009
Tue Apr 14 23:00:04 UTC 2009

Date of last work unit 2009-04-14 16:25:27
Total score 4639949
Overall rank (if points are combined) 776 of 1221384
Active processors (within 50 days) 5340
Active processors (within 7 days) 563
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Foxbat » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:42 pm

This also taints the announcement by PandeGroup the other month that F@H had reached 5 PetaFLOPs. The 7.8% (25K out of 332K) of the active x86 Windows clients were from this team (unless these clients have been expunged from the stats). The current TFLOP numbers are down to 4,656, so I don't expect the total drop to be attributed to this action.
Foxbat

Postby shdbcamping » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:55 pm

I agree as I spend a lot of my own money on electricity to produce at my level, and there's a lot that make my contribution seem "trite". I also do not feel that it would be in the "best interests" of F@H to be associated with malware/hijacking of computers ( intended/condoned or not).

I think a more direct approach into resolving this issue would be in the folding membership's best interest... to say nothing about the Science's clean reputation.
Sean
shdbcamping

Postby 7im » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:15 pm

From the looks of the stats, Pande Group has already taken action against these people once in regards to this problem. However, FTL may be trying to circumvent and adapt. But I am sure that whatever tactics are being attempted, that Pande Group will still find them and zero the account again, and curtail this blight as much as possible. But note that zeroing an account is no small task and is taken with great care. I don't expect PG will be doing this daily, or even weekly, but I expect it will happen again very soon. ;)
7im

Postby spazzychalk » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:57 am

i dont think any of us want to see the processing power lost. what about some sort of blacklist to the team # that still accecpts the uploads but sends them to team 0
spazzychalk

Postby Zagen30 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:03 am

There's still the issue of the person/people reaping the benefits of computers for which they did not have permission to install the client. You need written permission to set up any F@h client on someone else's computer, which I'm sure the user(s) in question did not have. I think the Pande Group would rather lose a few hundred clients than have their project associated with viruses, trojans, malware, and the like, which could be a huge deterrent from getting thousands more people to join in the future. Plus, no one should be allowed to use your computer without your permission for any reason whatsoever, even if it is for a worthy cause.
Zagen30

Postby spazzychalk » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:11 am

what can you do? block all the IPs? if all the points go to the 0 team and anon name they dont get any benefit. maybe you can block the passthrough link of the dwnload from their site?
spazzychalk

Postby 7im » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:33 am

spazzychalk wrote:i dont think any of us want to see the processing power lost. what about some sort of blacklist to the team # that still accecpts the uploads but sends them to team 0

Yes, we absolutely DO want to see the processing power lost. To continue to accept the work units is like a Store Clerk looking the other way while the children continue to steal all of the candy. The Clerk is complicit in the theft. PG will not stand for it.

Part of the corrective action against individuals like this is to block their clients from downloading any new work. This works for both the people who knowingly install the trojans on other's computers, and for those who download the trojan installer unknowingly. And with no work unit, the client goes to sleep, and no 100% CPU usage.
7im

Postby Foxbat » Tue May 26, 2009 2:55 am

FYI: F-T-L is back on the prowl. The number of active users has gone from 200 to 3,800 and the Anonymous User has jumped from 35,000 PPD to around 115,000 PPD. Stanford shows over 10,000 active CPUs in the last 50 days.

However, it looks like they attracted the attention of the Pande Group as the points have been trailing off in the last couple of days. Or else people started wondering what was sucking down their CPUs after they installed XYZ (getting FAH along for the ride) and shutting it down.
Foxbat

Postby Blaze » Wed May 27, 2009 12:01 am

I see that team FTL is back at it again... Looks like they started back up in May and have gone full blown since last week. I wish the Pande group would do something about them or it will be a never ending saga
Blaze

Postby Foxbat » Thu May 28, 2009 2:10 am

I retract my statement that this "Team" attracted attention. "F-T-L" is at 1.5 MPPD and climbing.
Foxbat

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Classic V6.23 Client