Console Client runing with no install

This client will only use a single CPU

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Console Client runing with no install

Postby bruce » Thu May 28, 2009 2:45 am

The Pande Group is aware of it and will deal with it (though I don't know when).
bruce

Postby sswilson » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:20 am

bruce wrote:The Pande Group is aware of it and will deal with it (though I don't know when).

I hope that doesn't mean we're looking at another month or so. It's obvious that the name f-t-l was a direct attempt to circumvent whatever blocks PG had in place against the FTL team, so why would there be any question of what to do? At this point, there's no question of worrying about the "legit" folders as their actions have shown them to not be legit at all.

Zero the points, and turn off any server response to that team.
sswilson

Postby chriskwarren » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:27 am

I don't understand why it would take time to zero them out, and block WUs for this team.

The longer you let them do this, the greater their reward is, as they rocket up the charts. They know that they will get blocked again, but they will see how far and how fast they can go. Taking your time PG will just encourage them.
chriskwarren

Postby 7im » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:41 am

The process of zeroing points was probably not an original design spec in the stats system. And so then there probably isn't an easy to use "UNDO" button either. I think we can all appreciate the great care they would have to take if that is the case.

As for ripping down another team, there's likely a process they have to follow there as well. Document complaint, document the trojaned file, document the runaway points, etc. Best to row your ducks, it's a litigious crazy world out there. :(
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Foxbat » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:59 pm

7im wrote:Best to row your ducks, it's a litigious crazy world out there. :(
Somehow, I feel someone who distributes illegal copies of software might want to keep a low legal profile. As in when the pot dealer went to the police because the teenagers paid them with counterfeit $20s? :lol:

No, I think the issue will be an escalation in reaction to what ever PG does. Perhaps Stanford needs to implement the Unique Passkey for each Folding user's clients to eliminate the bogus client threat?
Foxbat

Postby El Fiendo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:07 pm

I had noticed this and was looking at their stats page on HardFolding. I noticed under the new user window a user that goes by:

C:\Arquivos_de_programas\EA_GAMES\Need_for_Speed_Undercover\F

So, looks like its possibly being distributed with NFS: Undercover 'cracks' or something of the like.

http://www.hardfolding.com/fh_stats/index.php?pz=102&tnum=149135&id=1779521
El Fiendo

Postby bruce » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:25 pm

What they are doing is clearly contrary to the EULA and as I've already said, the Pande Group will deal with the issue.

I wonder why the issue is so important to you? Do you think that the Pande Group should immediately drop all other issues and deal with this one, or should they be allowed to set their own priorities? (I'm not aware of their priorities, so this is just a general response rather than one directed at this specific issue.) F_T_L may appear in the stats temporarily, but once they've been zeroed out, they'll still be zero, so there's no permanent change in the standings.

If you're paying for virus protection software and you have been infected, you can expect them to deal with it promptly. On the other hand if you have not been infected by that virus, you really don't need to be concerned about when you get an update that will deal with it. If you're using a free virus protection software, you may be able to expect a response eventually, but probably not as promptly as the pay version.

In any case, you need to exercise care when you download software from unknown sources, and if you still get infected, you need to take whatever steps you can to deal with the issue. If the trojan is running on your computer, we will gladly help you remove it.
bruce

Postby 7im » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:56 pm

Foxbat wrote:
7im wrote:Best to row your ducks, it's a litigious crazy world out there. :(
Somehow, I feel someone who distributes illegal copies of software might want to keep a low legal profile. As in when the pot dealer went to the police because the teenagers paid them with counterfeit $20s? :lol:

No, I think the issue will be an escalation in reaction to what ever PG does. Perhaps Stanford needs to implement the Unique Passkey for each Folding user's clients to eliminate the bogus client threat?

Ah, yes, the bad guys aren't likely to complain, but if PG makes a mistake in zeroing a few extra accounts that should not have been zeroed, that is who might complain via their lawyers. And that is even worse, IMO, than not acting quickly. Again, better to side on caution.
7im

Postby sswilson » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:37 pm

bruce wrote:What they are doing is clearly contrary to the EULA and as I've already said, the Pande Group will deal with the issue.

I wonder why the issue is so important to you? Do you think that the Pande Group should immediately drop all other issues and deal with this one, or should they be allowed to set their own priorities? (I'm not aware of their priorities, so this is just a general response rather than one directed at this specific issue.) F_T_L may appear in the stats temporarily, but once they've been zeroed out, they'll still be zero, so there's no permanent change in the standings.

If you're paying for virus protection software and you have been infected, you can expect them to deal with it promptly. On the other hand if you have not been infected by that virus, you really don't need to be concerned about when you get an update that will deal with it. If you're using a free virus protection software, you may be able to expect a response eventually, but probably not as promptly as the pay version.

In any case, you need to exercise care when you download software from unknown sources, and if you still get infected, you need to take whatever steps you can to deal with the issue. If the trojan is running on your computer, we will gladly help you remove it.

Because a failure to deal with it quickly demonstrates an appalling lack of concern over possible illegal use of the FAH client. I would think that the possibility of having the client running on computers without the owner's knowledge, as well as being distributed with pirated software would be first and foremost in the minds of the folks coding the FAH clients.

I personally am not overly concerned with the points as those will be dealt with over time. I am however greatly concerned about being involved with a project that doesn't take appropriate steps to ensure that their client isn't being distributed through channels which promote software piracy.
sswilson

Postby BrainEater » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:43 pm

Hehe....

Let's not go over the top here , drama isn't required.

Yes , people are still concerned about this and Yes , The Pandegroup is working on this.

I fully understand that this isn't as easy as hitting the 'zero' button.

Thanks for keeping on this , 'pandegroup people' , is there anything I can do to help ?

F-T-L killbot mebbie ?

:lol:
BrainEater

Postby chriskwarren » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:44 pm

sswilson wrote:
Because a failure to deal with it quickly demonstrates an appalling lack of concern over possible illegal use of the FAH client. I would think that the possibility of having the client running on computers without the owner's knowledge, as well as being distributed with pirated software would be first and foremost in the minds of the folks coding the FAH clients.

I personally am not overly concerned with the points as those will be dealt with over time. I am however greatly concerned about being involved with a project that doesn't take appropriate steps to ensure that their client isn't being distributed through channels which promote software piracy.

The points don't worry me. In fact, I realize that some science is getting done, which this whole thing is all about. However, if this gets installed often enough on many computers in an unethical manner, I wonder if it will result in having F@H being flagged as malware? That would get PGs attention pretty quickly, and will result in lost users.

Also, to take no action against it, even for a short while, is being complicit. Many folks who fold purely for the 'principle' of it (care nothing for the points, but feel wasted cycles are a shame), may also have similar principles that make them feel uneasy being a part of a project that allows illegal software to contribute. These people will find other projects to contribute to.
chriskwarren

Postby BrainEater » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:04 pm

It was only a matter of time before this happened really...Sad but true....Competition can bring out the worst in people.

In no way is pandegroup complicit , I don't believe that for a second....

Give em a break guys , they are busy doing science , they dun wanna be admins. :lol:

Like I say , If I can help with this matter in any way , please let me know.

:D
BrainEater

Postby Foxbat » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:59 am

Bruce, as I see it, the Pande Group has created this Points-based economy to encourage people to Fold proteins. The majority of us have invested our own money into computers, graphics cards, PS3s, and the electricity to operate them and keep the clients cool. A few have gone out of their way to create Folding farms worth 10s of thousands of dollars to generate the most points per day per host. The greener Folders look at the most points per watt. Some break it down on a points per dollar basis. Now, it turns out that the real cost-effective way to Fold is to piggyback the client into illicit software. After all, the more Folding clients, the better, right? :roll:

I am one of those people who doesn't believe that the ends justify the means. I believe no one involved with this project condones the behavior of the writer of the Software that violates the EULA. I also believe that the right thing will be done, but the damage has been done. The illicit Folding genie has been let out of the bottle and putting the genie back in will require a lot of work on the Pande Group to ensure that there are only legitimate Folding clients.
Foxbat

Postby sswilson » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:44 am

Many thanks to the folks in the back rooms for acting on this quickly. Not only did we get a points zeroing, the team (as of the last time I checked) is down to 22 active members).

Great job!
sswilson

Postby 7im » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:55 pm

Patience is a virtue. And -51,838,018 points speaks volumes. :twisted:
7im

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Classic V6.23 Client