Low PPD?

Post here if you have issues with the Linux 5.0x client.

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Low PPD?

Postby Skillz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Running Ubuntu on an AMD 3600+ @ 2.5Ghz (1.9 stock)

Pretty much a dedicated folding machine, I hardly ever get on it.

Using FAHMON to monitor it on my laptop, it averages about 135PPD per core, this seems REALLY low. Running the Linux 5.03 client.

How can I raise my PPD, I would think a 2.5Ghz Dual Core would earn a tad more PPD than just 270, no?

I was thinking about spending $160 and getting the AMD 6000+ Dual Core Windsor CPU running at 3.0Ghz, seen most overclocks around the 3.2-3.3Ghz range, so I would most likely be running it around those clocks. Would that increase my PPD a lot?
Skillz

Re: Low PPD?

Postby Jeff_Grant » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:15 pm

You'll want to make sure you run the SMP client and use the -SMP switch to allow both cores to work on a single unit. Your PPD will increase considerably. You could also run the 5.0.3 client twice to allow both X2 cores to be used on separate WUs. Just copy the executable to a different directory. Run each copy with the -configonly switch, and in advance options change the machine id to 1 on one client and 2 on the other. They can be whatever # as long as each copy has a different machine ID. I only recommend this setup if the PC you run needs to be perfectly stable (not a server etc.). I prefer the SMP client much more, due to the faster return of WUs to stanford and the PPD increase. It can be downloaded from the link below.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... -Linux.tgz

My X2 @ only 2ghz, gets 824 PPD on the 2653 WUs.
Jeff_Grant

Postby 7im » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:00 pm

You can compare your PPD to other chips and WUs on fahinfo.org.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby v00d00 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:21 pm

I run an AMD X2 6000 @ 3300MHz and it gets a decent amount of PPD (how much exactly i couldnt tell you), running the SMP client 24/7. It is a headless machine for all intent and purposes, and i only access it via ssh.

If you have a fairly modern Nvidia chipset, you may want to look into whether it supports Phenom cpus, as a quad core is going to net more PPD than a dual, and the price difference between the lower speed Phenoms and a 6000 X2 is about £20-30. As to whether the TLB bug has any effect on folding i couldnt tell you, but there are a couple of people on this forum that have those cpus, and can probably answer your questions better than me should you choose that route.
v00d00

Postby Skillz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:19 pm

Thanks for the help guys, installing the SMP client as we speak. Was already running two instances of F@H, one per core already. 8-)
Skillz

Return to Linux Uniprocessor Client v5.0x