Graphical Client

Post here if you have issues with the Linux 5.0x client.

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Graphical Client

Postby sekinto » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:08 pm

My friend told me about this project, so I came to this site to download the software client so I could contribute. It says there is both a GUI and a CLI client:
What are the different types of clients? The Console client runs in the background and is launched from a terminal window (command line i.e. DOS window), to which they output text messages about the simulation's progress. The graphical clients (former GUI or current System Tray) run in the background and has a graphics window interface that allows you to see the protein being simulated. The v4.x Screensaver client runs like other screensavers, except that it also runs our calculation in the background. However, a separate Screensaver version is being phased out, and that feature has been rolled in to the graphical clients.


But I see no graphical client download what-so-ever on the download page, only a console one.
sekinto
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Graphical Client

Postby Ivoshiee » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:10 pm

There is no FAH GUI client for Linux.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:05 am
Location: Estonia

Re: Graphical Client

Postby sekinto » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:25 am

Well the console client is just fine, I just thought the graphical client would look cool.

Anyway, why isn't there a graphical client? And will there be one in the future?
sekinto
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Graphical Client

Postby codysluder » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:44 am

sekinto wrote:Well the console client is just fine, I just thought the graphical client would look cool.

Anyway, why isn't there a graphical client? And will there be one in the future?


Nobody has mentioned a GUI client for Linux. That's not to say that they don't have one hidden somewhere in the back room that might be brought out someday. Their main emphasis is on good analysis and although we all appreciate good eye-candy, the Console client is more efficient than if your computer was also drawing pictures.

Granted, most Windows and Mac folks start with the GUI version, but after a while i think that most people replace it with the Console version.
codysluder
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:43 pm

Re: Graphical Client

Postby sekinto » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:51 am

I actually really like the console version, I was just curious and wanted to try out the graphical version to see what it was like. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait.
sekinto
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Graphical Client

Postby codysluder » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:29 am

I've never tried it, but you may be able to run the Windows version in Wine if your GUI supports openGL.
codysluder
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:43 pm

Re: Graphical Client

Postby Beberg » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:06 am

And which of the dozens of GUI frameworks for Linux would you have us use? We have wasted hundreds and hundreds of hours over the years just getting the console client to work with a subset of the distributions out there, so an official GUI won't be happening.

The good and bad feature of Linux is there is no standard way to do anything, so we do the best we can.
User avatar
Beberg
Pande Group Member
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:05 pm
Location: Stanford

Re: Graphical Client

Postby Tobit » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:24 am

Beberg wrote:We have wasted hundreds and hundreds of hours over the years just getting the console client to work with a subset of the distributions out there...

I think 'wasted' is a poor choice of wording here and hopefully you don't really feel as jaded as this makes you sound. :roll: The Linux client works very well and doesn't seem like a waste at all to me.
User avatar
Tobit
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:35 pm
Location: Manchester, NH USA

Re: Graphical Client

Postby Beberg » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:35 am

Yea, not wasted, but I still hate having to work with Linux for that reason. Luckily the 2.6 kernels have been around for years now, so we won't have to go through that hell again until 2.8 :)
User avatar
Beberg
Pande Group Member
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:05 pm
Location: Stanford

Re: Graphical Client

Postby smoking2000 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:01 am

Beberg wrote:Yea, not wasted, but I still hate having to work with Linux for that reason. Luckily the 2.6 kernels have been around for years now, so we won't have to go through that hell again until 2.8 :)

GTK2 is quite mature too, and available on all Linux distros. It's the toolkit of choice. Look at commercial vendors like VMware, they use GTK for that reason too.

The fun thing with choice, is that you get to make it ;)

We can also rewrite fpd (to use the OpenGL toolkit) and make our own GUI client :egeek:
User avatar
smoking2000
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:20 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Graphical Client

Postby Ivoshiee » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:30 am

smoking2000 wrote:
Beberg wrote:Yea, not wasted, but I still hate having to work with Linux for that reason. Luckily the 2.6 kernels have been around for years now, so we won't have to go through that hell again until 2.8 :)

GTK2 is quite mature too, and available on all Linux distros. It's the toolkit of choice. Look at commercial vendors like VMware, they use GTK for that reason too.

The fun thing with choice, is that you get to make it ;)

We can also rewrite fpd (to use the OpenGL toolkit) and make our own GUI client :egeek:

But fpd is using the OpenGL already or am I mistaken?
With some help the fpd can be made full blown FAH Linux GUI client, but does the FAH gain anything by having a GUI Linux client?
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:05 am
Location: Estonia

Re: Graphical Client

Postby smoking2000 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:42 am

Ivoshiee wrote:
smoking2000 wrote:
Beberg wrote:Yea, not wasted, but I still hate having to work with Linux for that reason. Luckily the 2.6 kernels have been around for years now, so we won't have to go through that hell again until 2.8 :)

GTK2 is quite mature too, and available on all Linux distros. It's the toolkit of choice. Look at commercial vendors like VMware, they use GTK for that reason too.

The fun thing with choice, is that you get to make it ;)

We can also rewrite fpd (to use the OpenGL toolkit) and make our own GUI client :egeek:

But fpd is using the OpenGL already or am I mistaken?
With some help the fpd can be made full blown FAH Linux GUI client, but does the FAH gain anything by having a GUI Linux client?


Yes, the next generation Linux users (those used to using GUIs, not the commandline) has a GUI client like the OSX and Windows users do to.
We don't want to discriminate now do we? ;)

And yes, fpd already uses OpenGL, but not the OpenGL kit Pandegroup made available.
User avatar
smoking2000
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:20 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Graphical Client

Postby PlayLoud » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:44 am

Personally, I don't care for a GUI client. I turn off my monitor to save electricity. I'm running SMP on a Q6600 under Linux. In about 5 months of folding, my monitor has been on for a total of about 45 minutes.
Folding@home:
- Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz SMP (Ubuntu) - 24/7
- Various NaCl folders when I can


Image
User avatar
PlayLoud
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:29 pm

Re: Graphical Client

Postby sekinto » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:23 am

Beberg wrote:And which of the dozens of GUI frameworks for Linux would you have us use? We have wasted hundreds and hundreds of hours over the years just getting the console client to work with a subset of the distributions out there, so an official GUI won't be happening.

The good and bad feature of Linux is there is no standard way to do anything, so we do the best we can.


I'm sorry, but you're blowing this way out of proportion. You don't need to waste your time making a different client for every GUI framework, just pick one framework and go with it. Anyone running a Linux distro can easily install the proper libraries they need to run the app if you decide to make one, and thats if they don't already have them installed. I use KDE and FluxBox, and even when I'm using KDE I will run GTK programs. THEY WORK JUST FINE. You are saying there is no standard way of doing things in Linux, but the standard is that a piece of software made for one distro should be able to run just fine on another.
sekinto
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Graphical Client

Postby v00d00 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:41 pm

But thats the problem. Dependencies.

Better to have a single program that doesnt require gtk or any other library. You just run it and it does what its supposed to. The elegance of simplicity.

The only thing i would love to see is some sort of client monitor program that allows you to start/stop clients from a gui. I require functionality, not eye candy, but we've been here before.

If you want to see proteins use jmol.
Image
User avatar
v00d00
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:53 am
Location: In the UK

Next

Return to Linux Uniprocessor Client v5.0x

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron