Graphical Client

Post here if you have issues with the Linux 5.0x client.

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Graphical Client

Postby sekinto » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:13 am

Why does FAH make graphical clients for Windows and OS X then if the console ones are better?
sekinto
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Graphical Client

Postby 7im » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:09 am

Consoles are not better, just different.

IMO, Stanford programs according to their targeted audience. Linux users tend to be very technical, and IMO, eye candy is more less not that interesting to them. Also, consider the history of linux and all of the nonstandard way of doing things over the last 6 years of the project. Only recently has Linux had the common tools to actually do a good gui.

As for Windows, and to some degree, the Mac user base, there are a lot of non-technical users, to which the GUI is helpful for them to get started with the project. And since Windows users are THE largest user group, the resources for making Windows client eye-candy is a good investment.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
User avatar
7im
 
Posts: 14648
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:30 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Graphical Client

Postby sekinto » Thu May 01, 2008 12:54 am

Ah, I see. But the ammount of non-technical users increasing at a steep rate. Ubuntu especially is gaining a lot of attention for user-friendlyness. Even my family uses my laptop, which I put GNU/Linux on, and they are very "non-technical". Many people in certain distro forums ask for good GUI applications that do a certain thing, and there are more and more improvements being made that make GNU/Linux a lot more suited for a Desktop environment than it was a few years ago. I am perfectly comfortable with the console and I am perfectly happy with the console client, but Joe across the street who is new to GNU/Linux may not be, that is my point.
sekinto
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Graphical Client

Postby 7im » Thu May 01, 2008 7:32 am

I think Pande Group understands your point of view already. I was not debating that point, just explaining how it worked in the past. When the audience changes significantly i.e. lots of new non-technical Linux users (oxy-moron?), Pande Group will respond in kind with new programming as they have done previously. Feedback is always welcome.
User avatar
7im
 
Posts: 14648
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:30 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Graphical Client

Postby PlayLoud » Thu May 01, 2008 9:02 am

I don't use a graphical client on any of my home or work machines. Is there any difference in speed or power consumption?
Folding@home:
- Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz SMP (Ubuntu) - 24/7
- Various NaCl folders when I can


Image
User avatar
PlayLoud
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:29 pm

Re: Graphical Client

Postby 7im » Thu May 01, 2008 4:00 pm

If you keep the gui minimized, the gui and console run at exactly the same speed. Both clients are only the front end to manage the work units and fahcore, the fahcore actually does all the work, and both clients use exactly the same fahcores.
User avatar
7im
 
Posts: 14648
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:30 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Graphical Client

Postby v00d00 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:23 am

sekinto wrote:Ah, I see. But the ammount of non-technical users increasing at a steep rate. Ubuntu especially is gaining a lot of attention for user-friendlyness. Even my family uses my laptop, which I put GNU/Linux on, and they are very "non-technical". Many people in certain distro forums ask for good GUI applications that do a certain thing, and there are more and more improvements being made that make GNU/Linux a lot more suited for a Desktop environment than it was a few years ago. I am perfectly comfortable with the console and I am perfectly happy with the console client, but Joe across the street who is new to GNU/Linux may not be, that is my point.


The reason we Linux folks dont want one is because it isnt required and would make a simple process, less simple. Simple is best. Besides if you had a GUI you'd have people turning into windows retards (which is very bad as these are the people that get breached and give everyone else a bad name), and never learn the power and hacking capabilities that the command line offers you. Join the dark side, master the command line.

But the beauty of it is that if you want a GUI frontend for Linux, the tools are available for you to make one. Nothing is stopping you. Well except the need to learn a programming language, but if you installed Linux that shouldnt really be that hard.
Image
User avatar
v00d00
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:53 am
Location: In the UK

Re: Graphical Client

Postby smoking2000 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:44 am

v00d00 wrote:
sekinto wrote:Ah, I see. But the ammount of non-technical users increasing at a steep rate. Ubuntu especially is gaining a lot of attention for user-friendlyness. Even my family uses my laptop, which I put GNU/Linux on, and they are very "non-technical". Many people in certain distro forums ask for good GUI applications that do a certain thing, and there are more and more improvements being made that make GNU/Linux a lot more suited for a Desktop environment than it was a few years ago. I am perfectly comfortable with the console and I am perfectly happy with the console client, but Joe across the street who is new to GNU/Linux may not be, that is my point.


The reason we Linux folks dont want one is because it isnt required and would make a simple process, less simple. Simple is best. Besides if you had a GUI you'd have people turning into windows retards (which is very bad as these are the people that get breached and give everyone else a bad name), and never learn the power and hacking capabilities that the command line offers you. Join the dark side, master the command line.

But the beauty of it is that if you want a GUI frontend for Linux, the tools are available for you to make one. Nothing is stopping you. Well except the need to learn a programming language, but if you installed Linux that shouldnt really be that hard.


May I remind you that non-technical people like my mother also run Linux and can't do the above? They are the target audience for a Linux GUI client, the new Ubuntu generation that can handle Linux if it has a GUI.

Ideally it would be a GUI app like InCrease, true to the UNIX nature with the core still being CLI scripts and apps, and the GUI wrapper around it makes it easy to use for the average PC user. Because you can't expect average user (be it on Windows, OSX or Linux) to use the CLI, only us hardcore UNIX geeks live in those dark magic lands. :)
User avatar
smoking2000
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:20 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Graphical Client

Postby v00d00 » Sat May 03, 2008 11:55 pm

Please dont mention Ubuntu, smoking2000. Mention Debian if you must, but not that wannabe distro.

Ubuntu is the most over rated distro fielded at this point. It may make it really easy for anyone to use Linux, but it causes me a major headache due to the number of rooted computers i have to fix. I dont see the same problems on other distros.

Also i hate the whole we must look like windows stuff. Linux is not Windows.
User avatar
v00d00
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:53 am
Location: In the UK

Re: Graphical Client

Postby PlayLoud » Sun May 04, 2008 1:01 am

v00d00 wrote:Please dont mention Ubuntu, smoking2000. Mention Debian if you must, but not that wannabe distro.

Ubuntu is the most over rated distro fielded at this point. It may make it really easy for anyone to use Linux, but it causes me a major headache due to the number of rooted computers i have to fix. I dont see the same problems on other distros.

Also i hate the whole we must look like windows stuff. Linux is not Windows.

As I am a Linux n00b, Ubuntu is working fine for me. I'm learning a tiny bit each day.
User avatar
PlayLoud
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:29 pm

Re: Graphical Client

Postby sekinto » Sun May 04, 2008 2:06 am

I use Debian myself. I've used many other distros, my second favorite would probably be Gentoo, but Debian is definately my favorite.
sekinto
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Graphical Client

Postby smoking2000 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:16 am

v00d00 wrote:Please dont mention Ubuntu, smoking2000. Mention Debian if you must, but not that wannabe distro.

Ubuntu is the most over rated distro fielded at this point. It may make it really easy for anyone to use Linux, but it causes me a major headache due to the number of rooted computers i have to fix. I dont see the same problems on other distros.

Also i hate the whole we must look like windows stuff. Linux is not Windows.


I've got a tshirt for you:

Image

:wink:

I guess we should rephrase the issue of a GUI client for Linux: Arrogant elitist Linux users don't want a GUI client because they would feel like a noob for using it. The average user would love to have it, because their ego is not attached to their OS :eugeek:

With regard to Ubuntu: it rocks, because it made the hardcore Linux geek OS Debian usable for the masses. The laptop my mother uses runs Debian, but the configuration resembles that of Ubuntu, because that's easier for her to use. I use plain Debian without all the fluff, because I'm a hardcore Linux geek, but my mother is just a simple user.

You're expecting to much of simple users, they are not you. They need hand holding in the form of GUIs, we don't (that's why supplying a GUI for a CLI util is required by the Mac OS X design guidelines). Simple users are the target audience for the GUI client is, the CLI is for advanced users like us. If the GUI client is build in the UNIX way, it's a simple wrapper around the CLI client so that you can easily switch between the interfaces, e.g. when you have transcended the n00b stage and become a wizard who is comfy in a terminal all you have to do is dump the GUI. It's like setting up FAH on OSX was before the Client Installer, you can use the CLI client and mess around on in Terminal.app, or you can use the InCrease GUI to help you set it up; plain CLI client for the hardcore geeks, GUI clients for normal users.
User avatar
smoking2000
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:20 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Graphical Client

Postby v00d00 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:40 pm

:D

Where can i get one of those T-Shirts?

I shall add it to the "got root?" and "OMFG" t-shirts.

[edit]
Oops, i should examine pictures more closely. :idea:
User avatar
v00d00
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:53 am
Location: In the UK

Previous

Return to Linux Uniprocessor Client v5.0x

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron