Bad checksum

Post here if you have issues with the Linux 5.0x client.

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Bad checksum

Postby Del » Fri May 09, 2008 5:02 pm

Hi,

I hope I've posted this in right place. I'm running Ubuntu 8.04.

I keep getting a bad checksum error on the current WU:
[16:02:45] Preparing to commence simulation
[16:02:45] - Looking at optimizations...
[16:02:46] - Files status OK
[16:02:46] - Expanded 76934 -> 553787 (decompressed 719.8 percent)
[16:02:46] - Checksums don't match (work/wudata_01CP.arc)
[16:02:46] - Starting from initial work packet

I've searched the forum, wiki and Google and it seems to me that the only thing I can do is drop this WU - is this correct?

This WU was downloaded a few days ago and isn't being processed. The PC is only for 4 or 5 hours per day during the week so the WU has been restarted a few times. I could get more WUs done if I left it on but I've never missed a WU's deadline.

Wouldn't it be better in this case if the client could re-download the WU and if the checksum is still bad send a message to the server so the WU can be flagged as needing attention and then automatically download a new WU?
Del

Re: Bad checksum

Postby bruce » Sat May 10, 2008 6:06 am

Del wrote:Hi,

I hope I've posted this in right place. I'm running Ubuntu 8.04.

I keep getting a bad checksum error on the current WU:
[16:02:45] Preparing to commence simulation
[16:02:45] - Looking at optimizations...
[16:02:46] - Files status OK
[16:02:46] - Expanded 76934 -> 553787 (decompressed 719.8 percent)
[16:02:46] - Checksums don't match (work/wudata_01CP.arc)
[16:02:46] - Starting from initial work packet

I've searched the forum, wiki and Google and it seems to me that the only thing I can do is drop this WU - is this correct?

This WU was downloaded a few days ago and isn't being processed. The PC is only for 4 or 5 hours per day during the week so the WU has been restarted a few times. I could get more WUs done if I left it on but I've never missed a WU's deadline.

Wouldn't it be better in this case if the client could re-download the WU and if the checksum is still bad send a message to the server so the WU can be flagged as needing attention and then automatically download a new WU?

The WU (wudata_01.dat) itself did not create the checksum error. That error was in wudata_01CP.arc which is generated by the client. That means the bad checksum was either caused by a hardware error (including overheating and marginally stable overclocking) or you were running two copies of the client in the same directory or there's a bug in the FahCore that you're running. Since others are not getting this error, the software bug is highly unlikely.
bruce

Re: Bad checksum

Postby Del » Sat May 10, 2008 6:27 am

Thanks for the explanation. I see that this looks as if it is caused by my PC or the client.

I don't OC.
Only one instance of F@H is running.
CPU temp at 100% never rises beyond 37.5 C.
PC is steady as a rock. I updated to Ubuntu 8.04 last weekend and haven't had any problems at all with it.

What do you suggest?
Del

Return to Linux Uniprocessor Client v5.0x