Screen lag? Limit gpu usage? [Yes, fold when idle]

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: What about screen lag? Can you limit gpu usage?

Postby BlackAdder » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:12 pm

I have a 9800GTX+ card with 512 m memory, Nvidia 266.58 drivers, Win7 64 bit, AMD 6 core processor, 8 gigs ram. It lags very bad in win7 64 bit but has no lag in Win. Vista business 32 bit. Does anyone know whats up with this ?? Could the limited memory of this card be the issue ??
Thanks
The Black Adder is a venomous reptile...and preys on F@H WUs
BlackAdder

Postby NalaAddict » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:01 am

I recently had to downgrade from my 460 gtx back to this 285 gtx. While on my 460, I was not experiencing any gpu utilization issues with folding of which to speak. I could in fact, play a game 'and' fold with it without noticing any substantial slow downs to either task. Upon returning to the 285 on the other hand, the 99 percent conundrum has returned. Strangely, back in 2008 to 2010, this was a non issue on the 285 as well. I've tried every solution I've seen in this thread and others like it. The SET command does absolutely nothing that I can see, neither does the slider or enabling/disabling Aerhead (aero).

The only thing I've done that's had any effect on the gpu usage while folding is running is by having the viewer on screen. While it is up, there are erratic dips in the gpu usage (like a polygraph needle effect) going up and down at irregular intervals. This is also further influenced between when you move the cursor over the viewer (making the animation move faster) and after it slows down again (iterations go up). When moving the mouse over the viewer, percentages drop to between 44 and 56 percent...after the wait period when it slows down again, they jump up to 99 percent and irregularly dip between that an 70 percent. Closing the viewer results in a consistent 99 percent.

my setup:

AMD Phenom II 965 X4 3.0 ghz
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3 1333
2 x 1TB hds
Gefarce 285 GTX
NalaAddict

Postby JimF » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:42 pm

Agu4 wrote:I just upgraded my Nvidia graphics driver from 275.33 to 280.26 and the lag is better.

I have just updated to 290.53 (beta), and see no lag at all on my GT 240 under Windows 7 64-bit. This is the best it has ever been. I run two GT 240s, one dedicated to folding and the other one connected to the display. Normally, I can only run the dedicated card for folding, but now I can use both.

However, before breaking out the champagne (except at midnight tonight), I want to check this a few more days. It might just be easy work units. Also, I did a very clean install of 290.53 (you need to run Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode), which may have helped. Finally, I did not install PhysX this time, since I don't do games. There was some indication a couple of years ago that disabling PhysX would help folding, at least on the lower-end cards.

By the way, you can't uninstall PhysX in Safe Mode, you have to do that via the "Programs and features" in the Control Panel. Uninstall everything related to Nvidia first, except for the graphics driver. Then uninstall that last, rebooting as necessary. I then run Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode just to be sure; that does it. There is a very good (if lengthy) discussion by maniacvvv about how to do a really clean uninstall/install of Nvidia drivers: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1174372&mpage=1
GTX 970 (i5-3550), GTX 980 (i7-3770); Win10 64-bit; FAH 7.4.4
JimF

Postby Nantes » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:03 am

I am having desktop lag as well, and the slider does make the GPU client use less than 100% of the card all the time. I use a GeForce 8800 GTS 512 on 285.62 driver and Windows 7 x64.
Nantes

Postby toTOW » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:55 pm

Enabling Aero usually helps with the lag ...
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby jonsku » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:48 am

This is certainly an issue for me with GTS450 too. Already tried the usual bag of tricks (FAH_GPU_IDLE, update driver, Aero) but couldn't fix it with those. I realize that GPU load is sort of tricky to control, but I hope solutions for this problem are kept being sought, as now GPU FAH disturbs the normal use of computer too much. I will still keep the SMP client running though. 8-)
jonsku

Postby 7im » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:07 pm

One last trick. Try settting the cpu-usage to 50% on the GPU slot only.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby theoleo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:43 pm

running FoH when i work is no problem. HOWEVER, when i play games like Warcraft or Diablo3, i get noticable screen lag. I have Win 7 prof 64 with an AMD 1090T 6 core cpu, 16 GB RAM & a 6970 graphics card. How can I limit FoH to 1 core or 50% of 6?
theoleo

Postby bruce » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:38 pm

Welcome to foldingforum.org, theoleo.

You're attacking the wrong problem. Using less CPU as 7im suggests can be helpful, but it's not going to solve the fundamental problem.

If you're running CPU-based programs such as the SMP client, all of 6 of your CPUs can be saturated and I'll bet it doesn't cause screen lag. The Operating System does a very good job of managing the CPU resources, even when they're fully utilized because your foreground tasks have a higher priority that the FahCore. Resources OTHER THAN THE CPUs can be saturated, too, and that can cause screen lag. If your GPU is busy folding or your PCIe bus is saturated, screen updates will need to wait until they can be processed by the GPU. Unfortunately neither the GPU nor the PCIe bus have a priority setting, so data that visually update your screen cannot interrupt a FAH calculation until there's a natural pause in that processing stream.

This has been on the known problem list for quite some time, now. Stanford would like to solve it but they haven't been able to do it yet, mostly because the CUDA or OpenCL drivers don't have a built-in operating system giving them the capability to do it. In the meantime, the suggestions listed above will help some. If they're not enough, you may need to Pause GPU processing when gaming.
bruce

Postby jonsku » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:35 am

I didn't have success with limiting the CPU time. Although, I didn't find where I could set a limit for only the GPU slot, but the global setting had no apparent effect (tried even insane values like 1%).

For now I think a good compromise could be to start the GPU folding after some idle timeout and then pause again when the user starts to work on the computer. This machine is on 24/7 so it would still get plenty of work done.
jonsku

Postby jonsku » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:01 am

I got the chance to test with a GTX 550 Ti (same computer). In this case the screen lag is much decreased, and as mentioned in other threads, turning the hardware acceleration off in Firefox helps too.
jonsku

Postby jonsku » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:08 pm

I was happy to discover that the latest Folding@home client gives the option for the computer to fold only when it's idle, which is the ultimate solution for me. :)

Thank you for this excellent feature!
jonsku

Previous

Return to General GPU client issues