CPU usage with Nvidia vs ATI

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: CPU usage with Nvidia vs ATI

Postby amdfan404 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:33 am

@ChasR: well you should read again and this time really understand what I wrote. I never said with the env. variables GPU2 would be equal or faster than GPU3, I said they would allow same generation ATI GPUs and Nvidia GPUs to run at about the same speed. I clearly stated that GPU3 was faster and .... agh, read my previous post.

@bruce: Of course not, but that doesn't mean that Pande Group didn't liked CUDA better and made a better job on the Nvidia support in GPU2, as it has "a special Nvidia viewer". I read the initial Intel OpenCL GPUs are doing OK on folding tests, not ATI /Nvidia level but close, this is great as the Integrated GPUs in Intel MoBos will be able to help folding now .

Looks like I got my info wrong about the clients then, maybe I'm confusing with other distributed computing GPU clients or my sources are wrong.
amdfan404

Postby ChasR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:28 pm

It's probably a waste of forum space to reply to you, but anyway, why don't you post up some numbers to back up your statements about the relative performance of the ATI cards on GPU2, with and without the environment variables, and GPU3 vs nVidias cards at the same newegg price point.

I also suggest you read the forum rules, particularly this part:
Personal attacks/flaming or specific comments that are not in the spirit of a friendly board will not be tolerated. Flaming (personal negatives aimed at another member) and trolling (attempting to cause others to flame) are not allowed here. This applies to signatures as well as posts. IOW, when it gets personal and negative, it is likely not going to be acceptable here.
ChasR

Postby Hisuichan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Indeed ChasR, I was three times short of replying to amdfan to stop taking well-known facts as personal attacks and being so aggressive. Nobody here is biased or attempting to diss AMD/ATi.
Steam profile | Perfection consists not in doing extraordinary things, but in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well. -Angelique Arnauld
Hisuichan

Postby amdfan404 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:05 pm

Hisuichan wrote:Nobody here is biased or attempting to diss AMD/ATi.
haha really? check the first few posts before I posted...

@ChasR:
and GPU3 vs nVidias cards at the same newegg price point.
You meant: "...and GPU3 ATI vs nVidias cards...", otherwise would be illogical...
and I don't need to prove you anything, you clearly as other favor Nvidia over ATI. I have seen reviews by biased websites that test on system configs designed to favor Nvidia and to ATI GPUs perform badly, I got word from a ATI GPU cruncher on F@H GPU client (he didn't say which) he was getting thrice what that website tested ATI GPU and with that performance was close to Nvidia, which did a little better still. so yeah there are people that intentionally know how to flaw ATI GPU performance on purpose and do it for some reason, probably money. If you want to believe me fine if not that's your problem. Oh and the sentiment is mutual, I think your posts a waste of forum space...
amdfan404

Postby ChasR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 pm

I suggest you read this article on ATI cards folding both GPU3 (core_16) and GPU2 (core_11):

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha ... level.html

Then read this article on nVidia Folding from the same source:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha ... si-18.html

Your contention that ATi cards produce about the same as nVidia cards is proven false.
Last edited by ChasR on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChasR

Postby Hisuichan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:43 pm

@amdfan404: Boo-frickin'-hoo. I have an AMD card myself, as do many others, thank you very much. It's sad you should believe in such conspiracy theories, but please do not make such ridiculous assumptions and accusations about anything or anyone without numbers or proof. "A friend of mine said" is clearly not enough, and begging the question only gets you this far.

If you were talking about a game, your anger would be justified (not your wording though), but to throw such a tantrum over a program that is first and foremost design to help advance science... It boggles the mind. Next time if you want to be helpful, post advice on how to improve performance, instead of starting a childish and baseless blame game.
Hisuichan

Postby bruce » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:58 pm

This topic has degenerated into a X is better than Y where folks are just repeating their personal biases. Conspiracy theories don't add any useful information to this site -- which is specifically designed to be a help forum.

I'm locking this topic.
bruce

Previous

Return to General GPU client issues