GPU2 Suggestions Thread

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: GPU2 Suggestions Thread

Postby bruce » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:06 pm

I agree that FAH should add those Env Vars but I doubt it's going to happen. There will be an entirely new GPU client in the relatively near future and they will no longer apply.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby P5-133XL » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:20 pm

What I would like to see in a new client would be that each systray icon show its machineID while the mouse rolls over it, so I can distinguish between different clients (GPU0 vs GPU1 vs. Uniprocessor). I asked for that a very long time ago, and I don't think anyone ever paid any attention.

I find it to be a general pain to have to figure out which icon to fiddle with when I need to shut something down or change something in just one of the clients.
P5-133XL

Postby d3m0n1q733rz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:04 am

From what I've managed to accomplish with the GPU clients, I would recommend updating the ATI dll files to those of more recent ATI drivers. Granted, the dll names have been slightly changed, but by changing them to what the GPU client required, I have managed to utilize the ATI 10.x driver versions to increase the efficiency of the GPU clients significantly.
I would also like to recommend compressing the folding core programs with a packer such as UPX or something equally free and effective. I've personally managed to shrink the cores by 50-25% modestly while maintaining their executable nature. Another point I would like to make is that with the requirement of the processor usage along-side the GPU, it would make sense to allow for 64-bit processing so that the processor instructions can keep up with the faster-running GPU the way it's meant to be in a 64-bit processing environment. This will allow the full capability of the PCI-E graphics cards and may even enhance the speed of running the cores. But, if you were to go with my previous idea of compressing the executables and dll files via UPX (an executable packer), you would actually require a different executable packer which supports 64-bit executables. Either way, all of these options would significantly enhance the speed of the GPU folding programs.

Please see my SMP2 suggestions as well.

Thank you
d3m0n1q733rz

Postby toTOW » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:27 am

It's easy (and recommended) to use driver provided DLLs : simply delete those provided with the client, and the core will automatically use those it will find in system32 folder.
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Super Moderator

Postby d3m0n1q733rz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:30 pm

Actually, I don't feel this is entirely accurate toTow. With the change to version 10 of the ATI drivers, the prefixes amdcalcl and amdcalrt changed to aticalcl and aticalrt. This means that the new ati dll files would be required to be copied to the working directory and then renamed to replace the old ones. Granted, this is unless the FAH software has code in it that checks for both versions, though this is somewhat doubtful. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to include some form of check for the more updated files for use with newer drivers.
As a side-note, I don't believe the aticalcl and aticalrt files are located in system32 as well. I had to pull them out of the ATI support driver folder to use them.
d3m0n1q733rz

Postby toTOW » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:48 pm

The core knows about the new names and it's not a problem for it ... it first seeks for amd*.dll files in the client folder (default configuration with client provided DLLs), then it seeks for ati*.dll in the client folder. If it still doesn't find them, it repeats the same procedure on the default drivers locations (which is %windir%\system32 for XP).

Anyway, with GPU3 coming (and OpenCL being used instead of proprietary solutions), this won't be a problem for a long time anymore.
toTOW
Super Moderator

Postby pfv » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:31 pm

Hey toTOW,

Any suggestion to make this working with the ATI drivers 10.3 on win7 64? i've got a 4890 and 5970. I removed the old amdcalcl and amdcalrt dlls from the working directory, removed the environment variables, lauch with force_gpu r700 but as soon as the GPU client starts working on a unit, the whole system rebootes and I get at boot up "CPU overheat" during next post... very strange I never had that before.
It was working fine with the ATI catalyst drivers beta 5 for win7 64, I could use all cores.
I couldn't find a thread of someone relating to the same type of env/issue.

PF
pfv

Postby toTOW » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:19 pm

You should post in the ATI forum ... I've never seen this behavior before ... (note that the right flag is -forcegpu ati_r700).
toTOW
Super Moderator

Postby pfv » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:25 am

Thank you toTOW, doesn't look very promissing... I have the right switch, didn't change any shortcut to lauch the GPU client.
Going to try my luck in the ATI forum.
pfv

Postby d3m0n1q733rz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:29 pm

Actually, I have the GPU2 client working with 10.3 drivers under Windows 7 x64. I think the problem is card specific. I assume that you have more than one core on that graphics card? And, if your card is claiming that it's overheating, I would check in the ATI catalyst control center to be certain that your core temperatures are stable.
d3m0n1q733rz

Postby Athlonite » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:13 pm

WHEN is GPU3 getting here tired of waiting, tired of rumors come on bring it on
Asus M23A32MVP-Deluxe AMD Phenom II x4 940BE @ 3.41GHz
2xCorsair Dominator twin2x2048 PC8500C5D DDR2-1066MHz 5-5-5-15 CL2
2x HIS ATI Radeon HD5770Fan 1GB @ 940/1275
SilverStone RV02B-W case & ST75F-P 750W full modular PSU
Windows7 X64
Athlonite

Postby Zagen30 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:47 pm

When it's done.
Zagen30

Postby bruce » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:41 pm

As far as I'm concerned, this blog post indicates progress though there's always the possibility that it's unrelated. I'd expect that the Pande Group wouldn't want to release any new GPU software unless it supported the new hardware.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Athlonite » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:22 am

sorry I'd rather see a working form of GPU3 before they do anymore gpu2 core updates to support newer nVidia cards or atleast update the GPU2 core to properly support HD5xxx cards ... ATI/AMD has had OpenCL working well for the last 4 iterations of Catalyst 10.x so whats the bleedin hold up it looks like ATI/AMD will have the HD6xxx series cards out before GPU3 makes an appearance
Athlonite

Postby rhavern » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:09 pm

Are you serious? So that means software that just barely works has been available for a few months and you expect that a completely rewritten version of client could possibly be available? If Pande Group had unlimited resource perhaps, but they don't and they have other issues to deal with, like keeping all the existing infrastructure working, doing the actual science of interpreting the current results and writing papers that keep the funding flowing.

If PG stopped everything they were doing now to work on GPU3, how many contributors do you think would stick around with no work to process until they finished? We are all keen to get our hands on GPU3, but moaning about it serves no one. The WU being processed now are all still valuable science, so let's get on with the task at hand.
Folding since 1 WU=1 point
ImageImage
rhavern

PreviousNext

Return to General GPU client issues