Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Gfx card is used at 100% load regardless of settings

Postby Nantes » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:32 pm

Edit: Found a similar thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=18568

Hi guys,

My system: Intel Core i5 2500k 3.30 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512
8 GB DDR3 RAM

I ordered a GeForce GTX 560 that should arrive on Monday, but while it's not here I decided to pre-test the GPU client. I installed version 6.41 system tray without any problems and set it to receive files larger than 10 MB, to have "slightly higher" priority (so as to have preference against the CPU client, I read I should do this in a thread in these forums) and put the 0%-100% slider at 70%. Shortly thereafter I noticed some strange slowdowns started happening which didn't before, so I opened PC Wizard 2010 to check data about my gfx card, and oddly enough "GFX load" stayed at 0% all the time, but the temperature was 70 degrees Celsius versus the 59 degrees when the card is idle, indicating it was under strain. I lowered the slider to 50% and the temperature dropped to 66 degrees or so, but soon returned to 70. I dropped the slider to 30% and the temperature dropped again to around 64 degrees, and once again returned to 70, and the slowdowns happened exactly like when the slider was at 70%. To confirm my suspicions that the slider is broken, I opened MSI Afterburner:

http://postimage.org/image/kku8irkpn/

The temperature Afterburner indicates is always the same as PC Wizard's, and notice how the GPU usage graph was at 97%. The sudden plummet was when I closed the F@H client, and then it went back again to 97% upon opening the client again, meaning that restarting the client did not fix the broken slider.

Another strange thing I noticed is that the Display viewer says that "Core is not running now.": http://postimage.org/image/hcjqinphj/ I don't know if this is normal or not.

While I don't worry about this too much since I'll change cards very soon, I thought it would be useful to make you guys aware of this possible bug.
Nantes

Re: Gfx card is used at 100% load regardless of settings

Postby 7im » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:46 am

The only slider the v6 client has is for CPU usage. I don't think it will do anything like what you expect it to do when trying to adjust a GPU client with a CPU setting. ;)

Yes, you can slide the CPU usage way down, and starve your GPU of data, and that will slow things down, but that's not a feature. That's simply a side efffect. And not at all a bug.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Nantes » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:46 pm

So there is no way to reduce GPU consumption to less than 100% and not lag my desktop when trying to do the simplest things? =S
Nantes

Postby Jesse_V » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:04 pm

There might be a way. Environmental variables comes to mind: http://en.fah-addict.net/articles/artic ... iables.php or a similar website.
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby PantherX » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:14 pm

If you are using Windows Vista or 7, then enabling Aero can help reduce the desktop lag.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Return to General GPU client issues