Do video cards receive power from the ATX12V connector

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Do video cards receive power from the ATX12V connector

Postby Walter » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:54 pm

I have a four year old HP intel I7 950 computer that ran happily using 7 of the 8 cores (windows treats the two core threads as separate cores) 100% of the time for FAH and the World Community Grid plus FAH GPU. A year ago I lost the power supply because the ATX12V connector began overheating and cooked one of the PS wires. Then Windows changed their way of handling video and forced me to have new Nvidia drivers for my Geforce GT 240 card. This made the video response very slow so I added a second low power card and plugged my monitor into it. After 6 months the ATX12V connector again got very hot and began melting the mother board connector. I now have a new motherboard, went back to using one video card and stopped running FAH GPU. My question is does the video card get power from the ATX12V connection? If it doesn't then I can go back to running FAH GPU on this machine. Just to be safe I installed a utility to monitor the temperature of each CPU core and set it to put the computer into hibernation if any of the cores reaches 80 Degrees C (they typically run around 70-74 degrees.)

Since changing motherboards I switched FAH GPU to my new I7 3770 machine which came with a low power Radeon HD7570 video card. I also run the new multicore FAH on it using 88% cpu power. The new I7 uses less power (currently 49 watts @ 88% cpu power and has a TDP of 77 watts vs the old I7 TDP of 130 watts.) The new I7's cores also run 5-8 degrees C cooler. I'd like to replace the HD 7570 card with a Radeon HD7750 or Nvidia GT 640 card to improve FAH GPU production, but I don't want a repeat of ATX12V problems. Will that be ok? (The new machine has only one PCI E 16 slot.)
Walter

Re: Do video cards receive power from the ATX12V connector

Postby 7im » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:22 pm

At most, only 75 watts are used by a GPU through the PCIe slot. Any additional power comes from the 6 or 8 pin connector, not the MB. If you are not overclocking, then I would blame a cheap PSU or MB as the cause, not the GPU running at standard specs.

What PSU and MB was it that melted twice?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Walter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:31 am

The motherboard is by Pegatron HP calls it a Truckee UL8E. It was in for both power supplies. The original power supply was 460 Watts from HP ( DPS-460DB-3A) and the replacement a 680 watt Kentek PSPK680. The latter lists a maximum current of 22A for the +12V output. That works out to 264W. My guess is the cpu was drawing 100 watts and the Nvidia geforce 240 60-65 watts. If the pci connector gets its 12V via the ATX12V connector I am drawing about 13A through the two yellow wires. That is lower that the 18A current limit listed by wikipedia. That makes me think it was a motherboard problem, but I wanted to be sure. If the video card does not get its 12V via the ATX12v connection then I was only drawing 8.3A there and the motherboard has to be the problem.
Walter

Postby P5-133XL » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:55 am

Very early PCI-E 1.0 MB's had a problem with drawing too much current through the PCI-E slot but I had not heard of it happening recently. I associate an overheating ATX12V connector with a short somewhere (possibly caused by a component on the MB dying) rather than an application like folding causing a problem. Normally if a video card is sometime drawing too much current you will get lots of BSOD because of a low voltage issues, or a PS that spontaneously shuts down because its over-current protection circuits get activated but not a melted/damaged power plug.
P5-133XL

Postby PantherX » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:39 am

A quick Google of Kentek power supply comes up with some not very nice reviews for the PSU:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/po ... plies.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/34801 ... 75w-handle
http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/ind ... 93881.html

Not sure what model Dell was using but as a general rule, always buy branded, reputed and well-reviewed PSUs (Thermaltake, Zalman, Crosair, etc). The reason for a high-end PSU is that if you plan on leaving your system on/folding 24/7, you have to ensure that the PSU can handle the stress in the long term. Plus, it will save you some money in the electric bills if you end up using a high efficiency one.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby ChristianVirtual » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:11 am

I'm very happy with Seasonic PSU; the one on my main rig is driving three GTX cards (2x780 and 1x660Ti) plus MB/CPU/watercooler without issues. On a single 12Volt rail it's also easy to do the cable work.
As mentioned by the others: having a good PSU is important for 24/7 operation; specially high resource computing like folding or rendering.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
ChristianVirtual

Postby Walter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:24 pm

Thank you all.

I believe it is safe to put in my second video card and run FAH GPU in my problem PC.

Walter
Walter

Postby bruce » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Adding a second video card will potentially use up to 75 more watts (~6 amps) through the ATX12V connector -- but you already know that.
bruce

Postby gimpy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:42 am

"My question is does the video card get power from the ATX12V connectionon?" Answer.no. The ATX (4 or 8 pin) connector,near cpu feeds the cpu.Any extra power,if needed comes directly from psu 6 or 8 pin (or combo of) Pcie connector.then again I don't know how to post on a forum....so.......
gimpy

Postby 7im » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:16 am

GPU can pull as much as 75 watts from the PCIe slot. What do you think feeds the slot?
7im

Postby gimpy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:40 am

7im said: [GPU can pull as much as 75 watts from the PCIe slot. What do you think feeds the slot?] My understanding of the ATX pinout is: The main motherboard connector is called the main motherboard connector.The 12+ (aux) connector,4 or 6 pin or 4 pin X2 supply extra current to the cpu. I guess I got confused when he asked about the 12v connector,I must have thought he meant the 12v connector, not main motherboard connector. Sorry. [http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/power-supply/atx-psu-pinouts.gif] [quote][/ After 6 months the ATX12V connector again got very hot and began melting the mother board connector.] That sounded like he was talking of 2 different connectors since he mentioned both. Guess he meant motherboard connector on P.S.U. side?..melted motherboard side? Either ambigous or I've lost it.
gimpy

Postby Napoleon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:15 am

7im wrote:GPU can pull as much as 75 watts from the PCIe slot. What do you think feeds the slot?
In case that wasn't a rhetorical question... the 20/24 pin connector, I think - http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnec ... ain20plus4. The ATX spec introduced 4 additional wires at some point. For the record, I've managed to run mobos with 24pin connectors stably using PSUs with only 20pin mobo power connector, but those rigs weren't exactly laden with any power hungry PCI(E) card(s).
Win7 64bit, FAH v7, OC'd
2C/4T Atom330 3x667MHz - GT430 2x832.5MHz - ION iGPU 3x466.7MHz
NaCl - Core_15 - display
Napoleon

Postby 7im » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:51 pm

No, but thanks for the emphasis. ;)
7im

Return to General GPU client issues