badplatformid after driver update (nVidia) / Win 10

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: badplatformid after driver update (nVidia) / Win 10

Postby Joe_H » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:43 pm

7im wrote:I don't see how the CIOs of major corporations would allow this to continue. With mandatory updates, the whole world economy could be one bad Windows update away from a global crash. Update Tuesday becomes Black Tuesday.

From this article - http://www.neowin.net/news/retail-eula- ... ws-updates - it looks like the CIO's may not care. The Pro version looks like it will be able to delay updates up to 8 months, and the Enterprise editions almost indefinitely. The ones most affected will be users of the Home edition.

Reading this, my main concern is if MS will have updates scheduled manually respect the update settings chosen in the Pro and Enterprise editions. Ran into trouble with that not happening at a previous job. Updates were turned off automatic because a PC that collected security cam video would have its image database corrupted every time an automatic update ran and rebooted the system. But half the time after the Windows support guys ran updates one or more of them would turn on auto-updating again.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Super Moderator

Postby bruce » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Breach wrote:Yes, I can disable Automatic Driver Updates of course, but the chance that the average Folding Joe would read and do accordingly is rather slim. Best solution would be to handle gracefully the Platform state change (not sure what this actually means) FAH-side, if at all possible.

Both statements are certainly true. About the only thing we can do is add a warning to the Windows installation guide saying that if MS updates the driver, the WU will be corrupted. (Some people do read things like that, but not many.)

The article in FORBES suggests that automatic updates are good for most people but that there's a strong reaction from the others (including everybody who runs FAH). The best we can do is object strongly, but again, as the article in FORBES suggests, Microsoft is't likely to listen.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby billford » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:38 pm

bruce wrote:
Breach wrote:About the only thing we can do is add a warning to the Windows installation guide saying that if MS updates the driver, the WU will be corrupted. (Some people do read things like that, but not many.)

[Withdrawn by poster]
Last edited by billford on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
billford

Postby Nert » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:08 pm

As someone who builds my own systems, I'm comfortable with disabling driver updates. I usually don't update my Nvidia drivers until I read that there is an advantage for FAH (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). I'm hopeful that I'll be able to continue to do this in with Win 10. It sounds as if the method described in this thread should do what I need. Prior to getting confirmation that it worked, I was mulling over other more complicated solutions (run linux, or linux + VM running Windows etc.) I could probably figure out how to get that to work, but it would have been a lot of extra work.

I think this whole area will be more problematic for an average user, though, especially for those who are scheduled for free updates to Win 10.
Nert

Postby 7im » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:33 pm

How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby CBT » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:49 pm

7im wrote:I don't see how the CIOs of major corporations would allow this to continue. With mandatory updates, the whole world economy could be one bad Windows update away from a global crash. Update Tuesday becomes Black Tuesday.

In large corporation you can use the 'Enterprise' edition, which does let you choose when to install updates. You can delay up to half a year, at the moment.
CBT

Previous

Return to General GPU client issues