Windows 6.20 GPU Client release notes

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Windows 6.20 GPU Client release notes

Postby uncle_fungus » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:40 pm

No more beta status, no more expiry date.

If you are updating an existing (pre 6.20) service with this new client, you must remove the existing service first as the new service management code is incompatible with previous versions.

Windows Vista does not support installing the GPU client as a service, and if you try, the service will fail to start correctly.

The systray installer does not install a startup shortcut by default.

The viewer works, but may display incorrect information until the FahCores are updated.

Official changelog:

• Added Forums to systray menu.
  • Support cpu affinity by default, this is related to an nVidia problem
    and awaits core-side changes.
  • Add additional parameters field in advanced preferences - no more
    shortcut editing!!!
  • UNSTABLE_MACHINE count reset after a correctly finished WU, for
    long-running systems
  • Open configuration dialog box when invalid settings detected
  • Fixed core launch directory which caused auto-upgrades to fail if core
    was present in "Program Files"
  • Added additional advanced config options to console clients
  • Added MachineID selector in systray gui
  • Client shows PRCG on results upload
  • Passkey now validated for hex content
  • Moved service installation to advanced config to prevent inadvertant use
  • Log date and time when automatically attempting to upload results.
  • Correctly restore system tray icon when shell (explorer.exe) crashes
  • Significantly improved queueinfo
  • Multiple copies of the client can no longer be started with the same
    "start in" dir
  • Automatically increase packet limit to max size for results that are
    too large
  • Failed uploads will be attempted again using alternative upload port
    (8080->80 and 80->8080)
  • Removed spurious "benchmarking..." messages
  • Added extra_parms support to console clients
  • Extra parameters are validated at configuration and launch time.
    Invalid settings will force reconfiguration
  • Fixed and updated service installation to allow use of working directories
  • Added ATI FireStream 9170 detection
  • Compressed Vista icon to reduce size of executable (saves ~ 200kb)
  • Updated MyFolding.html to match folding.stanford.edu style
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Re: Windows 6.20 GPU Client release notes

Postby ashrack » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:50 pm

I noticed there is the 6.20r1 version. I am using the 6.20. What is the difference between the two?

I use Ati Radeon 3850
ashrack

Postby toTOW » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:01 pm

r1 fixes some networking issue on upload ... see this thread : viewtopic.php?f=50&t=4806
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby EvilAlchemist » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:48 am

What is the difference between the "Windows Vista GPU Console 6.20r1 " and "Windows XP/2003 GPU Console 6.20r1" besides the OS support?
EvilAlchemist

Postby John Naylor » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:01 pm

I don't know if its related to different coding or not but the service option does not work in Vista. They may be exactly the same client but seperated to add the warning about services...
Folding whatever I'm sent since March 2006 :) Beta testing since October 2006. www.FAH-Addict.net Administrator since August 2009.
John Naylor

Postby uncle_fungus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:03 pm

The difference lies in the CAL DLLs shipped with the client. Unfortunately AMD have different versions of CAL for XP/2003 and Vista hence the need for a separate download. The clients are identical, but a service installation will not work on Vista.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Postby Adak » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:50 am

The systray installer does not install a startup shortcut by default.

I just installed the 6.23 GPU systray client, and to my surprise, (had a power black out), when I re-started the system,
there was the GPU systray client, automatically starting up! It was installed by default, because I dislike programs starting automatically.

Also, I have a duplicate set of GPU folders, on this Windows XP Pro C2D rig. One GPU is installed in Program Files,
and the second one installed itself in:
Launch directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Adak\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu

Both instances work fine, and both instances have turned in some WU's (but they never fold at the same time).

I would like to delete one of them, just to avoid confusion. Which one should I delete?

C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu

or

C:\Documents and Settings\Adak\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu

Thanks for the help.
Adak

Postby toTOW » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:54 am

This is the same installation : in Program Files, you'll find the client executable, the viewer and the required dll to run the viewer. In Application Data, you'll find the core executable, work unit data, log file, ...

From the GPU2 FAQ :

Hey, where did all of the GPU client data files go?

The new GPU client is a SysTray client, similar to the new v6.x CPU SysTray clients, and follows a standardized Windows installation procedure. This new client type is similar in nature to the previous GUI style client, but with notable changes, and a separate visualizations module (to come later).

The client executable can be installed to any directory you select.

The default locations are:
In Windows XP:
Executable: C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe
Data Files: C:\Documents and Settings\<your_windows_username>\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu\

In Windows Vista:
Executable: C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe"
Data Files: C:\Users\<your_windows_username>\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu\"

Note: The client installer creates a shortcut to the data files in the Folding@home Programs folder. The installer also creates a program shortcut in the Startup folder that launches the GPU client. The Startup shortcut points to the specific file locations in the Target: and Start In: fields. That shortcut cannot be edited to add client switches. To add a client switch, follow the instructions for creating a new shortcut above.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby Adak » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:17 am

Well, it didn't do that. :)

Default install had the dll's up in Documents and Settings/applications/, and both folders had the executable.

The executable in Program Files popped up an error message about not having a dll file, so I copied it down to that directory.

The start up shortcut did not launch the gpu instance in Program Files/Folding@Home/, instead it launched the instance in
Documents and Settings/Applications/folding@home-gpu.

I will adjust the install to the install guide. I didn't read that part because I always use the default install for software. So I don't usually care where the software wants to put it's files.
Adak

Postby Adak » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:25 am

I'm having some problems fixing this install. This statement does not match with the quoted statement from the GPU2 install guide:

toTOW wrote:This is the same installation : in Program Files, you'll find the client executable, the viewer and the required dll to run the viewer. In Application Data, you'll find the core executable, work unit data, log file, ...

and

The default locations are:
In Windows XP:
Executable: C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe
Data Files: C:\Documents and Settings\<your_windows_username>\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu\

So the core executable goes in which directory? I believe the install guide as written, is correct about where the core executable goes. At least, that's how some of the other programs had it set up.

So can someone confirm the right directory for the executable, and the work directory, also the client.cfg file, queue.dat file, etc?
Adak

Postby toTOW » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:46 am

The core executable is considered as data file, because it is written and updated by the client executable. The fact is what is in Program Files can't be changed in some OS (Vista or 7) for security reasons. The files that can be modified by another program have to be put in the Application Data path.

When you use the installer, it puts everything in the right place and creates a valid shortcut. In the shortcut, the following paths must remain as they are (they are from XP in my example) :

Target : "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe"
Start in : "C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu\"
toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby Adak » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:05 pm

Obviously, in this (default) case, the installer did NOT put everything in the right place.

I'll delete and re-install.

I wouldn't have asked for the directory info, if I didn't need it. For instance, where do the client.cfg file, the queue.dat, and the work directory, go? That's what I asked. I know what the shortcut has for it's properties, and didn't ask anything about it.
Adak

Postby toTOW » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:36 pm

Adak wrote:For instance, where do the client.cfg file, the queue.dat, and the work directory, go? That's what I asked. I know what the shortcut has for it's properties, and didn't ask anything about it.

They're in "C:\Documents and Settings\<your_windows_username>\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu\" (XP) or C:\Users\<your_windows_username>\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu\" (Vista/Seven)
toTOW
Site Moderator

Return to General GPU client issues