ATI Windows7 CPU usage

Moderators: mhouston, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: ATI Windows7 CPU usage

Postby bruce » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:14 am

Xaphan wrote:Hey, I'm running a HD-5670 and getting the message, "At present your GPU is not supported or you need a current driver...", when I try to run the program. I know for a fact my drivers are 100% up to date. What should I do?

Welcome to the foldingforum, Xaphan.

In the shortcut that you use to start FAH, you need to add the parameter string -forcegpu ati_r700 to the end of the Target.

For example, if the target currently says "C:\Folding@home gpu\Folding@home.exe" you should change it to "C:\Folding@home gpu\Folding@home.exe" -forcegpu ati_r700
bruce

Postby 10e » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:55 pm

Ensure that you have removed or renamed the AMD Cal. DLL files in the folding @ home working directory first. The environment variables don't work well with older CAL DLL files, such as the ones that came with the original 6.23 GPU clients, so just use the ATI ones that came with the drivers.

Either remove them, rename them to .BAK, or copy the new ones from the C:\windows\system32\ or c:\windows\SysWow64 directory. I prefer not to, so that the latest that came with the drivers are used.

Good luck.
Image Image
10e

Postby Xaphan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:09 pm

thank you. i tried this a wile ago and it seems to be running like normal. but now another problem has arisen. when i want to view whats going on, i click on "display", it opens a window, and i see the different color balls like normal, and about three seconds go by and the problem starts. they go away, i see a bunch of small white dots that apare to be 1/3-3/4 of a sphere in random places and it slows frame rate down to 1fps. any ideas?

thanks
Xaphan

Postby P5-133XL » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:31 pm

The display on the current clients is very buggy: don't use it.
P5-133XL

Postby pfv » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:23 pm

got a 5970 X2 and a 4890. win 7 64 pro.
GPU client was working with the CCC 8 beta 5. I just upgraded to 10.3. Gosh it doesn't just crash the GPU client it just crashes Win 7 and force a reboot! as soon as the GPU client starts, the whole system crashes.
I tried to copy the new DLL into the folding folder same punishment as mentionned in many posts (did that before).

Any pointer?
any eta on GPU3?
pfv

Postby bruce » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:44 pm

pfv wrote:any eta on GPU3?

According to unfounded rumors it's coming "next week" (as of 19Mar). viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13869

Official channels at Stanford don't give predictions other than (A) Not Soon, (B) Soon, or (C) It's available now. They did say that the first OpenMM version would be based on CUDA, not OpenGL, which means it will be a small step between GPU2 and GPU3 (Maybe equivalent to GPU2.5, but I have not seen an official designation.) and which may mean it will be a NV-only release. I think I remember this was discussed in the "unfounded rumors" topic referenced above, but like the predicted date, we'll know when something will be released and what will be in on the day it actually happens.
bruce

Postby pfv » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:19 am

Thanks Bruce, well in the mean time my 3 cores are taking a rest... just 3 cards insignificant in the grand scheme of things :)
pfv

Postby ByteCache » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Is this same process recommended for an 8 core, or do you think I would have enough wiggle room? I ask because I have been focusing on using this system primary to run business continuity software, and like the idea of running it at a high performance level, but still having room to expand or potential use the machine/server for another task. Any response would be greatly appreciated.
ByteCache

Previous

Return to ATI specific issues