Moderators: mhouston, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Help running GPU with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Postby MechArmy » Wed May 05, 2010 6:24 pm

System:
Win 7 home 64
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 w/1GB
Catalyst Version 10.4
Driver Package Version 8.723-xxx

I have the standard client installed and its been running just fine for a while now. Just recently decided to try out the GPU client. Updated driver/catalyst set and installed GPU client. Get error message:

"At present your GPU is not supported or you need a current driver. You may wish to consider running our standard client, which you can download at folding.stanford.edu."

I've read that you need to use the -forcegpu ati_r700 switch for the 5xxx hardware, but I'm not sure how to do this. I open the standard client configuration --> Advanced tab --> type "-forcegpu ati_r700" into Additional Client Parameters at the bottom, but the get the error:

"Invalid parameters entered, please recheck or leave it blank."

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
MechArmy

Re: Help running GPU with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Postby PantherX » Wed May 05, 2010 7:15 pm

Welcome to F@H MechArmy

I hope that you have typed it without the quotation marks. If you want efficent folding then you may want to use Environment Variables (http://en.fah-addict.net/articles/articles-1-3+gpu-environment-variables.php)
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby MechArmy » Wed May 05, 2010 7:41 pm

-forcegpu ati_r700 is being entered. So no quotations. I've also tried with Machine ID 1 and 2.

I'd rather just get this running before I worry about making it more efficient. I'll look into that later though.
MechArmy

Postby PantherX » Wed May 05, 2010 8:03 pm

Vista and 7 have problems with F@H if it is in the Program Files. You may want to make a the location like this "C:\F@H GPU" and then make a shortcut to the desktop and run it from there. Do you have any other F@H Clients running? If not then there is no need to change the Machine ID.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby MechArmy » Wed May 05, 2010 8:09 pm

I have the standard client installed and running. It's in the same location as the GPU client, C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home.

I'll try putting it somewhere else and see what happens.
MechArmy

Postby PantherX » Wed May 05, 2010 8:25 pm

I am assuming that the standard client is Uniprocessor Client. If so then each F@H Client should have a different Machine ID. If a duplicate Machine ID is detected, then it will give you an error and exit. Also you may want to remove the UNI Client to another folder: (F@H doesn't play well with Program Files)
C:\F@H UNI
C:\F@H GPU

Also you may want to add these folders to the exception list in your Anti-Virus Software. You can also try to disable the UAC and reinstall them and then try to run.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby MechArmy » Wed May 05, 2010 8:37 pm

So I have them both moved to separate folders inside C:\, and I seem to be getting the exact same errors. I uninstalled then reinstalled them as well. Just for reference, this is what my client looks like before I click ok and get the invalid error message.

MechArmy

Postby PantherX » Wed May 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Everything looks fine. Although I would check the "Do NOT lock cores to specific CPU" Is there a F@H Log in the folder or any files? If there is, you can post it here using the "Code" button. Running F@H on a Laptop GPU is something I would avoid as it is difficult to monitor the temperatures and laptop GPUs are not very powerful.

I would also add this flag:
-verbosity 9
This will make the F@H Log more detailed so it will be easier to troubleshoot.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby toTOW » Wed May 05, 2010 10:06 pm

CPU and GPU clients are not the same, and are not installed in the same location. Trying to add a forcegpu flag to a CPU client is useless.

What you have to do is to create shortcut to your GPU client (on desktop for instance ... see the GPU FAQ to get the Target and Start In path) and to add the forcegpu flag in this shortcut (in target field).
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby 7im » Wed May 05, 2010 11:16 pm

The GPU install Guides also have instructions for installing multiple Systray clients.
And I have a Mutli-Client Systray install Guide page for CPU clients mostly done and posted. Between the two, we should be able to figure out how to make the right copies and new shortcuts as toTOW mentioned.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby MechArmy » Wed May 05, 2010 11:45 pm

SWEET!

Thanks to all who helped. I was able to get it working, and dang does it move fast.

Thanks again.
MechArmy

Postby scud_svk » Fri May 07, 2010 11:44 am

How you run it ? I have mobility 5650 too :)
scud_svk

Postby PantherX » Fri May 07, 2010 2:57 pm

You download the F@H Client from here (http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther)
You install the Client
You move the Folder from C:\Program FIles to the C Drive to avoid any issues with Vista or 7.
You make a shortcut to the .exe on the desktop
You add this flag to the shortcut -forcegpu ati_r700 like this: (replace the =local with this flag)
Finally, you may want to add the -verbosity 9 flag to the Additional Client Parameters.
If you want efficient folding then you may want to use Environment Variables (http://en.fah-addict.net/articles/articles-1-3+gpu-environment-variables.php)
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby ByteCache » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks for the thread everybody. I just joined up and it is nice to have the answer in place before you even have the chance to ask a question. I came to this board to discover the effects of different technological components and their effect on the business continuity software I am currently setting up on the servers of my small business. i have decided to downgrade the graphics cards on all of the machines so that the CPU/GPU can run and keep my servers as available as possible.
ByteCache

Return to ATI specific issues