Announcing release: standalone memory tester for ATI+NV GPUs

Moderators: mhouston, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Announcing release: standalone memory tester for ATI+NV GPUs

Postby ihaque » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:29 pm

We've just released MemtestCL, a dedicated memory tester for OpenCL-capable GPUs in the same vein as MemtestG80 for CUDA-capable GPUs. In particular, this means that owners of ATI OpenCL-capable GPUs (the Radeon 4000 and up) can test their GPU memory as well. Binaries for Windows and 64-bit Linux are available, as is (LGPL-licensed) source code for those of you interested in doing additional development work (for example, GUI frontends).

Note that you must have an OpenCL-capable driver and runtime installed on your machine for this to work. For Nvidia, this means a 195 driver or newer; for ATI, you need the Cat 9.12 or newer video drivers, AS WELL AS installing the ATI Stream SDK (http://developer.amd.com/gpu/atistreamsdk/) - for some reason the OpenCL runtime does not come with the video driver. Incidentally, by installing the Stream SDK, you can use MemtestCL to test your CPU memory too.

Source and binaries are available at https://simtk.org/home/memtest. Binaries may also be found (without the SimTK mandatory registration) on the official FAH utilities page: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadUtils

From Vijay's original blog post about MemtestG80 (which uses the same test patterns as MemtestCL):

MemtestG80 is a software-based tester to test for "soft errors" in GPU memory or logic for NVIDIA CUDA-enabled GPUs. It uses a variety of proven test patterns (some custom and some based on Memtest86) to verify the correct operation of GPU memory and logic. It is a useful tool to ensure that given GPUs do not produce "silent errors" which may corrupt the results of a computation without triggering an overt error.

Basically, the idea is that we wanted to put out a code to test GPU memory that's roughly equivalent to Memtest on CPUs. If you run FAH heavily on a GPU, it's a good idea to check out your GPU memory, just as one would run tests on CPU memory.
ihaque
Pande Group Member

Re: Announcing release: standalone memory tester for ATI+NV GPUs

Postby PantherX » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:59 am

Thanks for this vital application Dr.Imran

I was able to run this application on my 9500M GS without any issues and on my GTX 260 at default settings (50 iterations using 128 MB RAM) on Windows 32 and 64 bit. I really liked the Test Summary feature.

My Results:
GTX 260 - GPU Load 88% - 93% (average is 75%) measured using GPU-Z 0.4.4
9800M GS - GPU Load 49% - 96% (average is 55%) measured using GPU-Z 0.4.4
I am guessing that the difference in the GPU Load and Average doesn't matter.

Missing File extension:
I downloaded the application from Standford's Site and in it were these two files that I couldn't open: (No file extension visible)
COPYING
README

Suggestion:
Since this application is very useful, it would be easy for new users if you can incorporate the following in your post:
Code: Select all
Step 1: Start up a command prompt (start -> run -> cmd OR Win key+R -> type cmd OR Windows 7 users can browse to the directory and Shift+Right Click -> "Open command window here")

Step 2: Change to the directory where the MemtestCL executable is located

Step 3: Type this:
memtestCL 128 1000

Step 4: The first value is the value of GPU RAM to be used while the second value is the number of times the test will run, both can be changed so you can check your GPU

Step 5: Once it completes the test, it will show you the Final error count. 0 will indicate everything is fine while a non-zero digit may indicate instabilities.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby 7im » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 am

Or maybe a little more of that "how to" info added here: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadUtils ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby domboy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:23 pm

Very nice. So has anybody tried it on an ATI GPU yet?
domboy

Postby vladh4x0r » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:22 am

Yeah I ran it on my 4850 and 4830 (both 512MB) with no errors. Catalyst 10.7b "with OpenCL" and Stream SDK 2.2, on Win7 x64. But it looks like this OpenCL runtime limits the video memory allocation to a max of 256 MB.
vladh4x0r

Postby Ivoshiee » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:47 am

After I updated to catalyst 10.7 and stream v2.2 I get:
"MemtestCL.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetLogicalProcessorInformation could not be located in the dynamic link library KRENEL32.dll"
"Error: No OpenCL platforms available."

Somehow I lost an OpenCL support.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Postby Rattledagger » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:23 pm

Ivoshiee wrote:After I updated to catalyst 10.7 and stream v2.2 I get:
The procedure entry point GetLogicalProcessorInformation could not be located in the dynamic link library KRENEL32.dll"

You can't use the "normal" catalyst 10.7-drivers, you'll need to update to the special OpenCL-drivers, catalyst 10.7b, and atleast for me it didn't work before re-boot.
Rattledagger

Postby Ivoshiee » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:01 pm

Rattledagger wrote:
Ivoshiee wrote:After I updated to catalyst 10.7 and stream v2.2 I get:

You can't use the "normal" catalyst 10.7-drivers, you'll need to update to the special OpenCL-drivers, catalyst 10.7b, and atleast for me it didn't work before re-boot.

Where to get that 10.7b?
Edit:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/OpenCL11ATICat107UpdateDriver.aspx
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Postby byly » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:51 am

I tried to run memtestCL-1.00 on linux 64bit (ubuntu 10.04) with ATI 4850 videocard (ati sdk 2.1, drivers 10.7). After I linked libOpenCL.so.1 to libOpenCL.so it works but reporting only CPU as a device (no GPUs). I have sdk samples and other opencl apps working well.

So I tried to compile from source. But the distribution I downloaded has no kernels included.

Am I missing something?
byly

Postby ihaque » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 pm

byly wrote:I tried to run memtestCL-1.00 on linux 64bit (ubuntu 10.04) with ATI 4850 videocard (ati sdk 2.1, drivers 10.7). After I linked libOpenCL.so.1 to libOpenCL.so it works but reporting only CPU as a device (no GPUs). I have sdk samples and other opencl apps working well.

I know the ATI runtime has some funny requirements about needing to have an X server running and your terminal session having access to that server. Are you able to run those other OpenCL apps successfully *on the GPU* in the same terminal session in which Memtest sees no GPUs?

byly wrote:So I tried to compile from source. But the distribution I downloaded has no kernels included.

...oops. You're right, I forgot to include the .cl file with the kernels. Thanks, I've updated the source-release package to include them (and this time I made sure it builds in a clean directory!).
ihaque
Pande Group Member

Postby byly » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:47 am

Thank you, Dr.Imran. With the updated source I can compile and run (and test gpu memory :)). And thank you for the great app.
P.S. And yes, I can run OpenCL apps on *GPU* (for me it's sufficient to set DISPLAY env var).
byly

Return to ATI specific issues