A special request for ATI 4xxx/5xxx owners (memory testing)

Moderators: mhouston, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: A special request for ATI 4xxx/5xxx owners (memory testi

Postby Racer43 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:01 pm

Is this project still up and running?
Team 163828, Always Broke Folding :mrgreen:
Folding towards the Top 1000 teams with: a Phenom II X2 laptop and an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ with a Sapphire HD 6570 :shock:
Racer43

Postby ihaque » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:55 pm

The immediate need is over, but if you'd still like to test and submit results, that's great. We'll be reviewing submitted data periodically to see if anything interesting pops up.
ihaque
Pande Group Member

Postby Poci » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:20 pm

I just discovered memtestcl, since im getting back into overclocking.

Now I have a few questions.
1) I notice in this thread you claim there can be false positive errors? Im running v 1.00 for Windows on Win 7 x64 with a 6950 video card, what kind of results are you seeing with these cards? And I certainly am worried about false positives. I dont want to think my overclock is bad just because of a false positive.

2) I notice before running the test it gives me option 0 for Cayman which is the video card and then option 1 for Phenom II my CPU. My question is does this test the memory cache on the CPU itself or the system RAM? I assumed it was the RAM and just for the sake of testing it out, I tried it, I have 8GB of system memory and input in the cmd line "memtestcl 8192 1000" and I got an error saying it could not allocate the memory after selecting option 1 for AMD phenom II.
Am I doing something wrong, or do I need to input the cache size of the CPU? I was running it the same way I run it for video card and on the video it works fine, uses all of GPU and full 2GB of video memory with cmd line.
Poci

Postby Poci » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:37 am

ihaque wrote:That's mostly right, with one exception. I think most of the tests are OK on ATI cards - I am only suspicious of the random blocks test. It might be OK, but it might also be throwing false positives, which we're checking out.

Any updates on this? I think this is hands down the best video card stability tester and it would be great if you could iron out those false positives, cause I think I got one with my 6950 running stock speeds, have to check if it was on the random blocks test or not though
Poci

Postby MtM » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:00 am

This is not a general stability tester, it doesn't stress the core much, as the name implies it's a memory tester which does many of the same tests as memtest86(+) does for system ram. Off course there is load showing up on the core as well, but if you really want to run a gpu stress test which includes ram and memory this is not it.

The best thing would be a gpu variant of stresscpu v2 for ( the name already implies it ) the cpu, which uses an actual folding core so it stresses the cpu in a likewise manner compared with folding. A gpu test using a grogpu core would do that for gpu's.

Until then, I use OCCT for gpu core testing, and use memtestCL only for testing the card's ram.
MtM

Postby Evil Penguin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:00 am

The Radeon HD 7970 seems to run into errors when running this test.
3 different cards are confirmed to produce similar errors.

I'm not sure if it's a bug in the program or drivers.
Unless all three cards have defective memory, I doubt it's a hardware issue.

Random blocks is the only test that gets errors.
Evil Penguin

Postby Jesse_V » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:11 am

I'm pretty sure this is the publication that came out of his tests and this whole thing is titled "Hard Data on Soft Errors: A Large-Scale Assessment of Real-World Error Rates in GPGPU" Link is http://www.gpucomputing.net/?q=node/895
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby GreyWhiskers » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:36 am

I am folding an HD4670 AGP bus - getting ~1100 ppd now. I still have the original drivers from about 2 years ago (Catalyst 10.7 Hotfix for AGP bus) - and it didn't have OpenCL.

Anyone know if later drivers (12-2 is the current AGP hotfix driverset available) would have OpenCL support for the AGP bus 4670?
GreyWhiskers

Postby Ivoshiee » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:30 am

GreyWhiskers wrote:I am folding an HD4670 AGP bus - getting ~1100 ppd now. I still have the original drivers from about 2 years ago (Catalyst 10.7 Hotfix for AGP bus) - and it didn't have OpenCL.

Anyone know if later drivers (12-2 is the current AGP hotfix driverset available) would have OpenCL support for the AGP bus 4670?

Gaining OpenCL support on that GPU will not change a thing for you - http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=21168&p=211875&hilit=opencl#p211875.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Postby nyanthiss » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:01 am

SolidSteel144 wrote:The Radeon HD 7970 seems to run into errors when running this test.
3 different cards are confirmed to produce similar errors.

I'm not sure if it's a bug in the program or drivers.
Unless all three cards have defective memory, I doubt it's a hardware issue.

Random blocks is the only test that gets errors.

Hi,

I have a Radeon HD 7950 and i get exactly the same behaviour - "Random blocks" test fails, all other pass.

Seems independent of amount of memory size tested (128M to 1024M all give same results).

Also, i couldn't upload the results to their server... :e(
nyanthiss

Postby bruce » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:36 am

nyanthiss wrote:Also, i couldn't upload the results to their server... :e(

The publication mentioned above made scientific conclusions about a sampling of GPUs. No additional data is being collected.

Ivoshiee wrote:
GreyWhiskers wrote:I am folding an HD4670 AGP bus - getting ~1100 ppd now. I still have the original drivers from about 2 years ago (Catalyst 10.7 Hotfix for AGP bus) - and it didn't have OpenCL.

Gaining OpenCL support on that GPU will not change a thing for you.

The FahCores that support ATI 4xxx and below use Brook. The FahCores that support HD 5xxx and above use OpenCL. When the projects for Brook end, the 4670 will no longer be useful for FAH, no matter what OS or what drivers you have. The new projects are limited by the speed of the PCIe bus, and the AGP bus will be unacceptably slow, even if you found some way to make it work.
bruce

Postby DeeGee » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Why memtestcl binaries haven't been updated? It seems AMD GCN/Tahiti/7xxx series gpu's always get errors on the random part of the test. I got the impression from this thread that ihaque was made aware of it and fixed it.
DeeGee

Postby bruce » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:15 am

Where are you going to download Memtestcl and which version are you getting? He did update it to work with Tahiti.

Version 1.1 is available here: https://simtk.org/home/memtest
bruce

Postby DeeGee » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:05 am

I tried to download it from your tools site. And either I'm blind or all of the versions I see at ihaque's site are 1.0 for memtestcl. 1.1 of memtestg80 is there but that is of course Cuda/nvidia only. And the file dates there are from 2010/2009. And the site requires registration to even download.
DeeGee

Postby msilva » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:34 am

The memtestCL version at Github is version 1.1, the one available on Simtk is only 1.0. There is now a compiled binary also available for those interested in testing out 1.1 with AMD devices.
msilva

PreviousNext

Return to ATI specific issues