News on new OpenCL driver...

Moderators: mhouston, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

News on new OpenCL driver...

Postby Scandalman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:00 pm

Hello All,

Sorry to disappoint you if you thought it was news - it's a request for news.

It would be very joyful if the developers working on the new OpenCL FAH core were to post their progress, which I sincerely hope will be able to take much better advantage of my 6950's.

So, this is a formal request to the developers, let's be 'aving you, tell us how it is please.

When, what improvement (perhaps some performance comparisons), what devices, development status etc.,

Or please point me at where I can find out for myself.

Best regards, Paul.
Scandalman

Re: News on new OpenCL driver...

Postby bollix47 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:22 pm

http://folding.typepad.com/

The News link at the top of forum pages.
bollix47

Postby Scandalman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:52 pm

That's useful, thank you.

It all seems to be a bit quiet in here re: what's coming.

P.
Scandalman

Postby PantherX » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:59 pm

You may want to keep an eye on this Forum (viewforum.php?f=24) especially on this thread (viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14714) since it contains information on the latest Projects, etc.

BTW V7 is expected in Q1 2011 and it is already stated that ATI/AMD will require it for the OpenCL folding so let's see what happens.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby Scandalman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:05 am

OK, loaded up 6.41r2 and performance is still mid 4000 PPD for my 6950. Well, I suppose I'd better 'fess up; I have done this to both my 6950's.

I was hoping there might be a new ati_r900 flag for the Cayman's lurking, but no such luck. I tried it.

It seems that the 69 series cards can be Really Quite Fast with OpenCL.

Best regards, Paul.
Scandalman

Postby Zagen30 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:29 am

The forcegpu flag only tells the client that your card should ignore if it doesn't recognize your card; it doesn't unlock any performance improvements. There haven't been any improvements made to the ATI core since the 3000 series, I think.
Zagen30

Postby gwildperson » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:35 pm

Zagen30 wrote:The forcegpu flag only tells the client that your card should ignore if it doesn't recognize your card; it doesn't unlock any performance improvements. There haven't been any improvements made to the ATI core since the 3000 series, I think.

Maybe or maybe not. You don't have any way to know if that's true. That's certainly not true for nvidia so why would you assume it's true for ATI?
Last edited by gwildperson on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
gwildperson

Postby mdk777 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Maybe or maybe not. You don't have any way to know if that's true. That's certainly not true for nvidia so why would you assume it's true for ATI?

Because it was stated some years ago that all development work would be directed toward the open cl project.

Zagan is correct.
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
mdk777

Postby Scandalman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:50 pm

In preparation for our v7 client launch - see Prof. Vijay Pande's news.

Is this the OpenCL client we have been awaiting? Wouldn't it be nice if there was a release schedule.
Scandalman

Postby bruce » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Release schedules for Folding@home (and other places, too, but that's another issue) are meaningless and therefore never published. The only words ever associated with a release are flexible, like "soon."

Why are they meaningless? "Soon" is always a guess, including a lot of "we hope it will be ready in accordance with our internal plan" but at FAH, it's always the state of the software, not the internal plan that governs the actual release.

Some companies release things based on reaching the announced date whether the code is clean or still full of bugs. Stanford, on the other hand, asks if there still important issues that need to be resolved before it can be released.

The first release of anything, whenever that happens. will have been tested and lots of issues will have been resolved. Some minor issues will still be unresolved when it's released for open testing, but the goal is to have a rather high probability that no new major bugs will be discovered after public testing begins. Do you really want the kind of bugs that you probably have seen in code that was released on the appointed day or do you want clean code whenever it's ready? Should a bug that's going to be discovered later "today" be allowed to delay a release that's scheduled for "tomorrow"?

FACT: Yes, Dr. Pande's blog talks about the planned release of V7. It's coming "soon" (see above).
FACT: Yes, Dr. Pande's blog talks about the planned support for OpenCL. It's coming "soon" (see above).
FACT: Support for OpenCL is planned as a part of V7.

Sorry, but I can't be more helpful.
bruce

Postby 7im » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:47 pm

And that news post linked above did say they were hopeful for a Q1 V7 release. There's your release schedule. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

New ATI client

Postby Hoffalo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:21 am

Hi all,
Just wondering if there is any word as to an ATI 3 client, or at least an update to the current one being released or in the works. I ask this due to the abysmally poor (as im sure you know) performance from even the highest end of ATI/AMD cards. Due to such low performance i have not been using my 5970 to fold because i cannot justify the power usage for such in-efficiency.

Thanks in advance.
i7 920@4ghz.
Zalman 850W HP
ATI 5970+Physx gts250
Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
2x WD caviar Black raid 0
6Gb Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz
Gigabyte EX58-ud4p
Hoffalo

Re: New ATI client

Postby toTOW » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:24 am

Watch http://folding.typepad.com/ for news ... if there's no announcement there, there is no new client.
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: New ATI client

Postby Lucus Maximus » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:27 pm

It would be great if this Client would hurry up wouldn't it! Been waiting well over a year for this. I've stopped folding on my 5870's as there is currently no point folding on them as the point's vs power usage isn't worth atm. Hopefully it isn't much futher off as this wait alone has been the one this that has put me off folding over the last year and have only come back when I seen the news on Jan 26th that work was still happening on ATI GPU3 and the Version 7 Client was in Alpha Testing. Thank god for Sandy Bridge and -bigadv WU's!

-Lucus
Lucus Maximus

Postby Lucus Maximus » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:49 pm

So hopefully within the next month and a few days :)

-Lucus
Lucus Maximus

Next

Return to ATI specific issues