ATI 4670 BSOD

Moderators: mhouston, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

ATI 4670 BSOD

Postby amdfan404 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:55 am

I'm not expecting this to get solved anytime soon, so I'm just posting it as a reference:
I participate with BOINC CPU client on http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org (different kind of projects running), the thing is that when I run the BOINC client for days even months non-stop all works OK but when I run the F@H GPU client eventually I get a BSOD, sometimes it takes days sometimes minutes, and yes, I'm sure is F@H GPU client. I'd really like to run both , I have even bought a second 4670 I bought just to run disease research programs on it that I'd like to run in parallel (not in CrossFire, I don't have the bridge and is really complicated to get it for me, I live in Bolivia). The BSOD is mostly ATI driver related, so I stopped running the client until new releases of the driver come along (I checked any related problems in ATI 4600 series video card forum) for a while and recently I tried again with a 3 ATI driver updates later, and was like before the first few days all great not a single error, I even play movies and play 3D games with both clients running, not a hiccup and then BAM! while I was away. I let the mouse over the auto-hiding task bar, so it won't hide and won't go to any power saving state; because despite I've disabled hibernation and suspend modes WIn7 tends to go to a suspend state if I don't do this.

Any light or recommendation is welcomed. Best Regards.

My specs:
- I have a desktop PC
- CPU AMD Phenom II X4 3.4Ghz
- RAM DDR3-1333 2x2GB
- GPU ATI 4670 1GB DDR3-1600
- MB Asus M4A79XTD Evo
- HDD SATA II 500GB and 750 GB
- Win7 64-bits fully patched
- All latest drivers & BIOS installed and optimized with registry cleaners (CCleaner, COMODO Registry cleaner 2, ERUNT and Advanced System Care PRO) and defragged with PerfectDIsk 11 64-bit. I'm a PC tech for a living, so is all configured and cooled properly, CPU & GPU at 60ºC max constantly (when both clients are running).

My config:
- My direct access command line:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe" -gpu 0 -advmethods -forcegpu ati_r700
- I have checked:
+ "Allow 10MB+ Work units"
+ "Don't lock to specific CPU"
- check point to 3 mins
- Core priority: slightly higher
- CPU usage: 100%
- Environment variables:
+ My CPU usage in Task Manager goes from 0% to 5% max with the following variables:
+ FLUSH_INTERVAL=180
+ BROOK_YIELD=2
+ CAL_NO_FLUSH=1
+ CAL_PRE_FLUSH=1
amdfan404

Re: ATI 4670 BSOD

Postby bruce » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:41 am

The GPU has no operating system, to speak of, so it takes work on a FIFO basis. If work is delivered is small batches (like drawing another frame in your favorite game) it never has a problem. FAH and BOINC don't deliever small batches and then wait for them to finish but rather they deliver work designed to keep the GPU busy while the next block of work is being delivered across the PCIE bus. Somebody has to make a choice between continuous throughput and lower utilization. The Env Vars allow you to make those sort of choices but there's no real guide.

Although it's not overclocking it has some of the same characteristics. Find the settings that give you maximum performance but settings that never exceed some limit ("stability" or BSOD). Your FLUSH_INTERVAL probably needs some tweaking.
bruce

Postby amdfan404 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:18 am

I thought the video driver was the "OS" for the VC unless the programs deals with MB/VC hardware directly, maybe is what the GPU client does, not sure of neither.

Anyway I suspected my FLUSH_INTERVAL is the one to blame too, I'll set it to 128 and see what happens, thanks for your assist.
amdfan404

Postby amdfan404 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:26 am

Sorry guys but if this keeps giving me BSOD I'll quit F@H GPU Cleint. I really hope you can make a client that won't need me to specify the correct GPU (r700 in my case) nor manually set the workload on a environment variable but instead can talk to the driver or know by the chip model how to deliver the efficient amount of workload necessary for the GPU to work properly. I think you need a table, to know which GPU Chip has how many stream units and according tot he FSB/HT buses how much work load can be sent even with a BOINC client running using the CPU at 100%

Edit: ALso influence the RAM amount & speed, CPU speed.
Last edited by amdfan404 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amdfan404

Postby orion » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:48 am

If you're going to run BOINC + F@H GPU client together set the BOINC client to use 80% of the cpu's. It will spread out the usage of 3 cores over the 4 cores and leave enough for the GPU client to run.

Even the GPU client of MW@H uses some cpu cycles and slows BOINC down if you’re running on all cores with another BOINC project.
iustus quia...
orion

Postby amdfan404 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:05 am

Actually BOINC CPU client is not a problem at all, tit is set to lowest and F@H GPU client a little above lowest, so Win7 should give each client enough CPU time by priority, I have even cooled my CPU with SpeedFan getting my 4 CPU cores to 56-58 ºC and the Phenom II to 53-55 ºC (was 60-61 before), so is way cooler than before and the noise is not too much with the increase of speed of my fans from 50% to regulated 90-95% (4,500 to 5,200 rmp), I have set the FLUSH variable to 100 and is working OK now, I'll try to lisft it a bit later to 110-120; would be great if somebody could tweak the GPU client as I suggested before, it's really raw the way it works, it also should had a test to check functionality an optimum performance and plot their results for better understanding comparing 'theoretical values' calculated from hardware specs and real functioning.

I find strange that such a University with so much resources deliver a not very-well designed GPU client.
amdfan404

Postby Evaders99 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Or maybe their focus on resources is actually going to scientific endeavors, like working on new projects... rather than testing and tweaking for every single card out there.
Hit the majority of users for the best efficiency and best progress.

There are numerous issues with the ATI client, esp now that the client is being written for OpenCL. I would suggest getting a different video card if you don't think your ATI is helping.
Or just use it for Worldcommunitygrid and keep your CPU for Folding if you want.
Evaders99

Postby bruce » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:17 am

bruce

Postby amdfan404 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:10 pm

@Evaders99: Well, I think scientific research is not excuse, if you do something you do it well, meaning till is finished. I give this tip to the majority of people: set FLUSH_INTERVAL=110 on a ATI HD4670 to avoid BSOD.

So you suggest I change my ATI hardware that is well designed because the software has bugs and/or not optimal configuration process? I don't think so. I hope a new design scheme on OpenCL fixes some if not all problems with GPGPU ATI cards. And my CPU stays in WCG specially since they don't have yet a GPU project.

@bruce: I'll check it out thanks.

Edit: checked:
and the series 4xxx does not have sufficient OpenCL support for efficient FAH calculations). For the short term, we will support both the older (Brook coded) ATI core 11, and the newer (OpenCL coded) ATI core 16, but we cannot support the Brook-based core for much longer. We plan to support ATI core 11 until September 1, 2011 (hopefully longer, but we want to get this on donors' radars).
So, I'll stay with you until Core 11 is phased out this year. Too bad, both HD4670s cards cost me a lot of money, I'll try to buy a 5xxx one selling both, I don't think I can get a 6xxx, if can get a better ATI card I'll join F@H again if not, was great to participate in such a noble project.

Cheers.
amdfan404

Postby amdfan404 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:09 am

Update: I just wanted to let you know. My previous ASUcks MoBo died after I tried to take cooler off and the CPU came out too without taking up the lever first and I got a Foxconn one (Foxconn A7DA-S v3.0 (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN) ChipSet: AMD 790GX, AMD K10), better & faster, wasn't necessary to re-install WIn7 Ult 64-bit.

I still have my 2 ATI 4670s and they are in CrossFire, FLUSH_INTERVAL=192, I had to set gp0 & gpu1 clients because I have a monitor only in the gpu0 card. I have overclocked a little my Phenom II 3.4GHz to 3.6 and all is working good. I hope GPU2 client doesn't get phased out so I can keep on crunching with my GPUs.

BTW I'm not using '-advmethids' because I think that caused my GPUs to BSOD; anyone can conform this?

Cheers.
Last edited by amdfan404 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amdfan404

Postby Zagen30 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:03 am

GPU2 isn't imminently in danger of being deprecated, as the Pande Group haven't officially announced an end date, and they typically give at least a month's forewarning. That being said, back in the spring they only committed to keeping ATI GPU2 around until September 2011, citing the fact that pre-5000 series cards don't have enough support for OpenCL to run the new core. I doubt they'll be creating much, if any, new work for it, as from all accounts the OpenCL core is much more efficient than the Brook core.
Zagen30

Postby amdfan404 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Yes I know, I posted about it 2 posts above. I think is a waste not improve GPU2 Client to as near possible as efficient as the OpenCL one so we can help out too, but well I'll do what I can.
amdfan404

Postby amdfan404 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:34 am

Update: I overclocked my GPUs at 13% max allowed by AMD Overdrive on the latest Cats and my CPU & MoBo (System bus from 200 to 222 and PCI-E from 100 to 111 Mhz) 11%, Overclocking only the CPU and leaving the MoBo alone would cause BSOD or some kind of system hang eventually, I'm new to overclocking :biggrin: All is OK and stable, 12 and specially 13% CPU+MoBo Overclock were unstable, my GPUs run hot 68ºC at some point, I have no air-conditioned room and environment temp is about 36ºC+ since we're at high Spring season.

amdfan404

Return to ATI specific issues