Not running 100%

Moderators: mhouston, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Not running 100%

Postby skleinhess » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:46 am

Hello,

I have searched around the internet but couldn't find any information for my matter.

I have been folding for over 1 week now, and it's great.

But I have 1 issue.

I use the FAH GPU Tracker V2, which lets you fold your CPU and GPU at the same time.
First of all, I am getting very low PPD for my hardware. I use an Hexacore (6x) 2.8 AMD Processor and 2 ATI 5870's.
I get about 4000 ppd for my cpu and 2000 for the GPU.
My laptop which uses Intel gets about 10.000 each.

Anyway my issue :

My GPU client is not running at full 100%
The GPU runs in idle mode, in gaming the clocks of my GPU are 900 MHZ and 1100 MHZ. While folding these are only 400 and 700 MHZ.
Is there any way I can boost the performance of my GPU? Or perhaps the CPU to?

Thanks in advance.
skleinhess

Re: Not running 100%

Postby 7im » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Hello skleinhess, welcome to the forum.

To get the best performance from those ATI cards you should be using the V7 beta client. (fahtracker still uses an older version of the client, v6)

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGuide

Use the custom option to add the GPU client first (it will install both GPU slots), then Multi-client option to add the SMP client (slot).
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby skleinhess » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Hello 7im.

I will try that one right now, thank you for your reply.
skleinhess

Postby skleinhess » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:45 pm

Yeah, for sure running on 100% lol. GPU getting 80 C

1 question. I am already at 12.00 percent (O.o) but it shows this :

Base credit : unknown
Estimated credit : unknown
Estimated PDD : unknown

is that a problem right there?

SMP works fine.

And what does Estimated TPF mean?

Thank you
skleinhess

Postby Zagen30 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:06 pm

Unknowns are not a problem. The work servers are supposed to send credit information to the client to provide PPD estimates, but not all of them have been updated to send that information. The work will still get credited properly when it's returned.

Estimated Time Per Frame, where Frame is taken to mean 1% of the work unit.
Zagen30

Postby skleinhess » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Zagen30 wrote:Estimated Time Per Frame, where Frame is taken to mean 1% of the work unit.

For the GPU this is 1 minute 20.
CPU is 8 minute 20 lol.
skleinhess

Postby Zagen30 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:56 pm

Comparing frame times between different hardware types doesn't tell you much of anything since their architectures and capabilities are very different. Don't be concerned by the large discrepancies between SMP and GPU.
Zagen30

Postby skleinhess » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:05 pm

I know that a GPU folds way faster then a CPU.

Just wondering why Nvidia is scoring way way better.
Perhaps because it uses Cuda en PhsyX?

Anyway, first WU complete on this client. I will continue using it.
skleinhess

Postby 7im » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:12 pm

The GPU work units are also way smaller at this time, so they should fold way faster. ;)

In regards to ATI vs NV and speed, it's an architectural difference. Both Game at similar speeds, but the math in Folding is very different from gaming. Also, as I said above, the GPU WUs are much smaller, and that size tends to favor the NV chip architecture for speed. As GPU work units get bigger, the speed differences will level off.
7im

Postby skleinhess » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:39 pm

I am happy to know that the speed differences will level off.

Well I still have an old 480 GTX. I might plug that in also. Awesome that's possible now a days. I have done that before, 2 ati cards and 1 nvidia. Worked like a charm, untill big load was on the nvidia card, only had a 800 watt psu. :)

Anyway.
My problem is fixed.

Thank you all.
skleinhess

Postby bruce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:06 am

skleinhess wrote:Just wondering why Nvidia is scoring way way better.
Perhaps because it uses Cuda en PhsyX?

Anyway, first WU complete on this client. I will continue using it.

A bit more information regarding the differences between NVidia and ATI:
The ATI made the GPUs that were first supported for heavy compute activities like FAH. Stanford did a lot of work just to get them to work using CAL and Brook. Some time later CUDA was created making it easier to write productive code and a second FahCore (for NV only) was released which was more efficient than the original FahCore that was for ATI only. As was said earlier, architectural differences also played an important part of the perceived differences.
. . . A long time passed . . . with virtually no changes to GPU support. NV came out with a new architecture (Fermi) and which was supported on CUDA and ATI still provided CAL/Brook support. A new CUDA FahCore was developed to make use of the features in Fermi. Meanwhile everybody was working on OpenCL support which may someday mean that the same FahCore can be written to works on multiple brands of hardware. A FahCore using OpenCL was developed to replace the old CAL/Brook code and it has been released only with the V7 client for HD 5000 and above.

GPU vendors develop new models a lot more frequently than CPU vendors. As the capabilities of the GPUs change, new drivers have to be developed. NV seems to be having trouble getting good drivers into distribution but we can hope that that's just a temporary situation. ATI also has been updating their drivers frequently, too, so getting them right the first time is a potential problem for all vendors.

Here on the forum, we do our best to provide unbiased support for both. Stanford may consider support for additional brands of GPUs in the future, but they need reliable hardware, good support from the vendor, and enough hardware in production to make it worth the programming effort to develop and test for a new platform.
bruce

Postby skleinhess » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:08 am

Bruce,

Thank you. That made things way more clear for me. I understand that writing scripts and coding isn't an easy thing to do. I was just a little dissapointed that my GPU didn't work well on the GPU Tracker. Works fine now though.
Does the new client support ATI and NV cards at the same time? Because I have an 480GTX sitting here doing nothing. Should work as long i plug a monitor into it right?
skleinhess

Postby PantherX » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:48 am

skleinhess wrote:...Does the new client support ATI and NV cards at the same time? Because I have an 480GTX sitting here doing nothing. Should work as long i plug a monitor into it right?
We hope that it is possible in the finalized version. However, you can experiment with it and give us your experience. If you discover any bugs, if we can fix it, it will help others in the future.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby skleinhess » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:52 am

Allright I will give you some feedback after I tried it.

Thank you
skleinhess

Postby skleinhess » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:46 am

2 x ati + 1 nvidia worked. The nvidia GPU was folding way faster though. It is a big big load for my PSU, i saw some unstable voltages, so I will not continue using this configuration. CPU was scoring way lower, but it has to control 3 GPU's.

Anyway, for anyone that wants to use both nvidia and ati. It worked for me
skleinhess

Next

Return to ATI specific issues