OpenCL.dll missing

Moderators: mhouston, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

OpenCL.dll missing

Postby BuleriaChk@aol.com » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:55 am

Hi

I'm running Win7 (32) in a dual boot configuration (WinXP is the other partition). I am running two Visontek HD 5750's (in Crossfire). FAH is running fine on my Core 2 Duo E6700, but not on my gpu's... (Asus P5B Deluxe, BIOS 0402)

I'm getting a "FahCore_16.exe-System Error" window that says "The program can't start because OpenCL.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." Of course, I have reinstalled both drivers and FAh numerous times, and still no luck. I don't know if this is FAH or Visiontek - but (so far) FAH is the only program for which I get this message.... (haven't tried any games yet, though)...
"Flamenco Chuck" Keyser
http://www.flamencochuck.com
BuleriaChk@aol.com

Re: OpenCL.dll missing

Postby BuleriaChk@aol.com » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:09 am

PS Both GPU's try, and then fall back to "Ready" in the status...

I get log messages saying
FahCore Started
FahCore Returned and unknown error code which probably indicates that it crashed....
(I also have a t/s request in to VisionTek, but who knows if and when they'll answer..)
BuleriaChk@aol.com

Postby bruce » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:27 am

Which driver version?

Did you run driver cleaner?
bruce

Postby Stonecold » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:28 am

I had the same problem on the v7 client. What I did was put OpenCL.dll in the same directory as the core itself, and that seemed to have fixed the problem. I don't know if it would work on v6.23, but it worked on 7.1.43 and it would probably be a good place to start.
Stonecold

Postby BuleriaChk@aol.com » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:34 am

Yes, I did run driver cleaner.....

Where is OpenCL.dll on the hard drive?
Windows/System32?
BuleriaChk@aol.com

Postby Stonecold » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:40 am

BuleriaChk@aol.com wrote:Where is OpenCL.dll on the hard drive?
Windows/System32?

When I had the problem, I just assumed my computer didn't have it at all so I just downloaded it from here (I scanned the file for malware with Jotti's malware scan and VirusTotal, so the link is safe). I'm not sure where it is normally, though. Just search for "opencl.dll" in drive C and if it exists explorer will give you a result. According to the site I linked to, it says it should be put in system32, but I don't know if that would work for Folding@home or not.
Stonecold

Postby BuleriaChk@aol.com » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:04 am

Ok, I found OpenCL.dll on my Win7 (x64), and copied it into the Win7 (32) directory, and it didn't work (duh!, but it was worth a try)

So I then went to my WinXP partition, and there it was! I copied it into my Win7 (32) system32 directory, and my FAH is now running happily - both cards and the cpu......

Thanks guys,

Chuck
BuleriaChk@aol.com

Postby 7im » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Cat 11.4 and above should automatically install that, so no need to copy it over.

Again, which driver version are you running?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby BuleriaChk@aol.com » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:55 pm

The latest drivers from AMD....
BuleriaChk@aol.com

Postby bruce » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:10 am

BuleriaChk@aol.com wrote:The latest drivers from AMD....

So you're saying those drivers don't install correctly???? Please provide the actual version number and version of windows you're running.
bruce

Postby toTOW » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:00 pm

Are you using the full package, or the standalone drivers ?

First will work with FAH, second won't unless you install the OpenCL driver manually.
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby bruce » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:58 pm

If you have two GPUs and only one is on the whitelist, I don't think there's any way to get them both to work until the next version of V7 is released.
bruce

Postby BuleriaChk@aol.com » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:34 pm

Catlyst Suite 12.1, but the problem was fixed by copying over the 32 bit OpenCL.dll, which for some reason didn't install even with the new Catalyst package. I tried numerous times, both with the Catalyst package from the VisionTek CD, the downloaded package from the VisionTek Site, and the package from AMD.

Interestingly, the graphics package seems to work fine now, but the cpu as been hung since I did that (says it is running, but has only done 540 steps out of 5000000, or something.)
So I'll try to reinstall FAH and see if that changes anything. Interestingly, AI Suite tells me both cores are maxed out at 100%, so it seems to be pedaling as hard as it can... (Core 2 Duo, E6700 Asus P5B Deluxe MB. Both GPUs are cranking (Radeon HD 5750's in Crossfire config)...

I'm going to finish all projects, and then initiatie folding again and see what happens. If that doesn't help, I'll try re-installing FAH..... But it looks like the cpu is cranking, FAH just isn't indicating. I'll see what the log says when everything finishes....
BuleriaChk@aol.com

Postby BuleriaChk@aol.com » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:39 pm

Not only that, but I'm still not showing any work units on my certificate. Where are my bragging rights for that virtual beer....:-)
BuleriaChk@aol.com

Postby BuleriaChk@aol.com » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:14 pm

All is well (both gpu's and the cpu indicating performance), except for FAH ignoring my contribution..........:-)
BuleriaChk@aol.com

Next

Return to ATI specific issues